Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2008, 10:37   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
I have another question about amps, Other than making the music louder, how does the amp help ?
an amp can control your speakers better and hence not only can you play louder but you will find that the bass is better defined. A good amp that complements your speakers will also make the mids and high frequencies sound smoother.
Old 1st February 2008, 11:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
I have another question about amps, Other than making the music louder, how does the amp help ?

In the context of my setup, (four speakers running off the HU) what will be the difference at the same volume ?
I am no ICE guru, but from what I have learnt and gathered on TBHP forum - an amp helps deliver cleaner, richer sounds. There is less to almost nil distortion (unless of course you crank up the volume to the max!). Basically the HU in built amp is of a low power rating so it cannot provide adequate juice to the speakers and hence the sound will not be amazing. It will be good nonetheless, but not best.

It's like the difference between 'a must have' vs 'a nice-to-have'
Old 28th February 2009, 00:23   #18
BHPian

humming sound from the amp.

well i have a question. my speakers make a very irritating humming sound all the time . the mechanic says that its because of the amplifier and this happens in case of every amp. Is it true ? I have even got a noise filter installed. what is the solution to this problem ?
Old 28th February 2009, 00:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Aha,
You've got pioneer right?

Does it increase with RPM.
Is it like a whistle?
Old 28th February 2009, 00:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Is it like a whistle?
no it is not that. that is the sound of race . well that is not the case with me. actually its a general humming sound which increases with increase in volume.
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:50   #21
BHPian

Amp heating

I had my ICE upgrade completed last week, with a hertz amp and a polk sub. The amp is installed under the front passenger seat. I have been observing that it gets heated very fast. Is this normal. Hope there is no need for worries when i do the long trips of 8 and 10 of drives, when i normally have the ICE running non stop.
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:31   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Amplifiers do get hot, quite hot in running.

However if your amplifier is heating up to I-cannot-touch-it hot in a few minutes of switching it on, you may have a problem.

If you want to be sure that there is no short-circuit, turn the amplifier on with no volume and leave it on for a few minutes. The amplifier should not be hot to touch, just warm. If it is still hot, you have a problem.
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

However if your amplifier is heating up to I-cannot-touch-it hot in a few minutes of switching it on, you may have a problem.

If you want to be sure that there is no short-circuit, turn the amplifier on with no volume and leave it on for a few minutes. The amplifier should not be hot to touch, just warm. If it is still hot, you have a problem.
Thanks sam, shall do the checks as you mentioned.
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

Sam what part inside would be the problem here- can't imagine the entire board heating and transferring its heat to the outer casing.
Old 24th June 2009, 00:28   #25
BHPian

It should be your Power IC or Power Transistor which gets heated up.
Wrong connectivity/improper grounding can be 2 prime causes.
Old 24th June 2009, 01:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manujkansal View Post
well i have a question. my speakers make a very irritating humming sound all the time . the mechanic says that its because of the amplifier and this happens in case of every amp. Is it true ? I have even got a noise filter installed. what is the solution to this problem ?
Check it out for proper earthing, that is the culprit most of the time, the headset and the amp both have to be grounded properly to avoid any sort of humming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Aha,
You've got pioneer right?

Is it like a whistle?
Dude it has nothing to do with pioneer
Any headset/amp which is not grounded properly will do this
Old 24th June 2009, 10:15   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Sam what part inside would be the problem here- can't imagine the entire board heating and transferring its heat to the outer casing.
the borad is not phyically connected to the casing (which usually is also the heat sink). If the output transistors are being forced to carry too much current then they will heat up and since they are connected to the casing (heatsink) the caing will heat up. The cause for this however could be anything from a short (usually short circuit protection will trip), to a passive component going south and hence dumping too much bias current into the output transistors etc..
Old 24th June 2009, 13:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
the borad is not phyically connected to the casing (which usually is also the heat sink). If the output transistors are being forced to carry too much current then they will heat up and since they are connected to the casing (heatsink) the caing will heat up. The cause for this however could be anything from a short (usually short circuit protection will trip), to a passive component going south and hence dumping too much bias current into the output transistors etc..
Thanks Navin. My other query was about the casing/heatsink- many guys (including me) put the amp on the back of the rear seat in a hatch, so suppose if we are packing the boot with bags for a trip, which will effectively suffocate the amp (some bags might get touchy-feely with the amp's casing)- will this affect heat dissipation majorly, causing either of a) amp tripping, b) bags catching fire?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks