Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2008, 05:44   #1
BANNED

iPod-compatible HU

Hi all,

I was wondering if there are HUs available in the market, with an iPod plug-in capability.

I have absolutely no idea on what these things cost; so if someone could provide some numbers along with some recommended brands, that'd be great! However, I don't think I'd want to spend more than 10K.
For speakers, I have Infinity Kappa's.

Thanks
Old 11th February 2008, 09:48   #2
BANNED

10k is a good budget to get you car ICED !
Pioneer 4950 is best bet for your requirement it accepts ipod connection, it will cost you 4600 w/o bill. its awesome, In rear go for pro-sound speaker with 1 year warranty, It has inbuilt 5 tweeter in it, In case if you don’t want to go for prosound speaker you can opt JBL GTO speaker as cost is same which is 2550, In Front I will suggest, Original Pioneer 100w speakers. This entire setup will give you very good effect

Pioneer HU Model No 4950 with Ipod connection – 4600 Rs
Prosound Speakers 1200 watts - 2550
Pioneer Speakers 100 watts – 850 Rs
Box for Rear Speakers - 350 Rs
Wire – 200 Rs
Labor – 250 Rs

Total : 8800 Rs

Last edited by nicejits : 11th February 2008 at 09:49.
Old 11th February 2008, 13:54   #3
BHPian

Just to clarify - the 10K budget is for the HU alone, right? You said that you have speakers, and I assume that you don't want to change them.

Anyway, for 10K you have many options for HUs. Most HUs these days are iPod compatible. Some have the cable included, many don't. I think it costs 1K otherwise. But I think with the newer Pioneer models (and I think this is also the case with other companies - please do correct me) you can just connect your regular iPod USB cable that you use with your computer, to the USB jack of the HU, and that works perfectly.

Try the Pioneer 6050UB - I'm very happy with it. Should cost you 8.5 - 9K (grey).

Last edited by vebmetal : 11th February 2008 at 13:57.
Old 11th February 2008, 19:26   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Just to clarify - the 10K budget is for the HU alone, right? You said that you have speakers, and I assume that you don't want to change them.

Anyway, for 10K you have many options for HUs. Most HUs these days are iPod compatible. Some have the cable included, many don't. I think it costs 1K otherwise. But I think with the newer Pioneer models (and I think this is also the case with other companies - please do correct me) you can just connect your regular iPod USB cable that you use with your computer, to the USB jack of the HU, and that works perfectly.

Try the Pioneer 6050UB - I'm very happy with it. Should cost you 8.5 - 9K (grey).
You're right about that! My budget of 10K, though on the upper side, is exclusively for the HU. I already have Infinity for speakers (front and rear)

So as I understand it, the iPod USB cable that plugs into the computer needs to be plugged to the USB jack of the HU, is it? Is this connection for all iPod-compatible HUs?

How much would the Pioneer 6050UB and the Pioneer 4950 cost with bill and warranty, and what would be a better choice between the two? If there's not a significant difference in the user friendliness and overall quality, I think I'd like to go in for the less expensive model, since, like I said, 10K is on the upper side, if I'm left with no choice!

Thanks again fella's!
Old 11th February 2008, 20:02   #5
BHPian

Pioneer HUs ending with "50" are only grey (as they are imported from other asian countries). The official b&w versions would end with "90". So the 6050UB is the grey version, while the 6090UB is the b&w version.

My best guess is that the 6090UB would be around 12 - 13K. Not worth it frankly to go with b&w.

I am sure that there is a significant difference between the user interface between the 4xxx series and the 6xxx series (or the 7xxx series). SQ may not differ by much, if at all. But whether the user interface is worth the extra expense is a question only you can answer as per your own tastes, wants, budgetary constraints etc. I wanted a HU that would display 3 lines of text, so that it would display the song name, artist name, album name in different lines. I got that in the 6050UB, but had to pay much more (about 3K) for it than the 5050UB. To me it was essential. You decide.
Old 11th February 2008, 21:32   #6
BANNED

I don't care much for the display of the song specifics. I just need something that's simple and easy to handle i.e. the display and proper illumination of the various dials -- PLAY, STOP, EJECT, so on.
Keeping this in mind, could you suggest something?

So you don't think it's worth the extra bucks for the b&w versions?
Old 11th February 2008, 23:23   #7
BHPian

Then go for something simple - look at Pioneer, Kenwood, JVC and decide what you like best in terms of button layout, simplicity of operation.

I think it's better VFM to go grey. Barring any major defect, the cost differential more than covers you for minor repairs.
Old 12th February 2008, 01:37   #8
BANNED

Among Pioneer models, I guess I'll check out the 4950UB and 5050UB, and I should be looking at approximately 6K (grey) for these models, correct?
Any Kenwood or JVC models I might want to look at?

What between Pioneer, Kenwood and JVC makes for a good VFM buy and better SQ?

Thanks

Last edited by luvjascha : 12th February 2008 at 01:39.
Old 12th February 2008, 04:27   #9
BHPian

you may also look at blaupunkt ipod ready head units which come with connecting cables
maui MP36 - rs8950 with b/w
bahamas MP46 - rs10,950 with b/w

try some bargaining ..they usually give good discounts
Old 12th February 2008, 14:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Among Pioneer models, I guess I'll check out the 4950UB and 5050UB, and I should be looking at approximately 6K (grey) for these models, correct?
About 6.6K for the 5050 and 6K for the 4050.

Quote:
Any Kenwood or JVC models I might want to look at?
If it weren't for the display, I would have bought the Kenwood MP4036U. Have a look at that here. JVC, don't know. The best thing is to go window shopping because you never know what models are available and at what price till you physically go to stores.

Quote:
What between Pioneer, Kenwood and JVC makes for a good VFM buy and better SQ?
They are all VFM and good SQ. Just depends now on your own particular wants and dislikes.
Old 13th February 2008, 01:26   #11
BANNED

I should have included this in my first post. Anyway, how essential are the iPod models and their storage capacities, while shopping around for HUs? I have the iPod Nano with a 7.41 GB capacity.
Are ALL iPod-compatible HUs compatible with the Nano? If so, then OK. If not, are all the models that have been suggested in this thread, Nano-compatible?

Thanks

Last edited by luvjascha : 13th February 2008 at 01:28.
Old 13th February 2008, 09:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I should have included this in my first post. Anyway, how essential are the iPod models and their storage capacities, while shopping around for HUs? I have the iPod Nano with a 7.41 GB capacity.
Are ALL iPod-compatible HUs compatible with the Nano? If so, then OK. If not, are all the models that have been suggested in this thread, Nano-compatible?

Thanks
Full iPod connectivity cables connect to the dock port. Since your Nano has one, you need not worry. However, for shuffles, EP to RCA would be the only solution.
Old 13th February 2008, 11:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

But I think shuffle will work on USB enabled HU.
Old 13th February 2008, 15:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
But I think shuffle will work on USB enabled HU.
Interesting thought. Has anyone tried this?
Old 13th February 2008, 15:24   #15
BHPian

If it shows up as a drive in "My Computer" without needing to install iTunes or any other ****ty drivers, then it will work with a USB HU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks