Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 10:36   #1

Help Required! IPOD + Pioneer HU

I purchased the Pioneer DEH-P5050UB deck yesterday. The only feature which made me buy this HU was the “Made for IPOD”.( I had the Sony 470US before this which had USB as well as auxiliary port).

Now, I have a 4th generation 20 Gig IPOD (the Click wheel one) and 2 Gig IPOD Nano (2nd generation). When I connect both these to the HU through the USB port, it just charges the IPODs but the HU does not play any songs. It says “N/A USB” on the pioneer display. I haven’t received the manual for the deck yet (should get in a couple of days). But my net research on similar Pioneer models has revealed that all Pioneer HUs might only work with 5th generation ipods.

Anyone on the forum tried using a 4th generation IPOD with their HU's? (Or for that matter any IPOD). Do I have to purchase an additional cable? I can still play the IPOD songs through the auxiliary port but I need the USB port so that I can control the ipod from the HU itself.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Rahul
Old 25th February 2008, 16:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

You need an additional cable to connect the ipod. It won't work with the normal usb socket.
Old 26th February 2008, 09:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check the manual for the connection method; maybe the USB supports only directory scan (virtual drive) and not iPod sensing. Not sure, but I think direct iPod support is denoted by suffix IB in Pio's.

iPod support means ability to read iPod file system, which is not same as straightforward FAT32 directory access.
Old 26th February 2008, 09:52   #4
BHPian

I got the 5050 as well the cabnle supplied is a normal USB to USB cable u need your iPOD cable to use the functionality , plug in your ipod into the cable which came with the iPod and connect the other end to the cable which came with the 5050
Old 26th February 2008, 15:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am planning on getting Pioneer 5050, as it offers iPod functionality as well as USB support. I have an old iPod Mini 6 GB model.

However, having read through this post, I have got into a doubt. I remember having read elsewhere on TBHP that 5050 offers out-of-the-box (plug and play) support for iPod and USB. Does it do for iPod Mini as well?

Or do I need to buy additional cable/adapter for the same?

Also, does it charge iPod on the go, alongside playing it?
Old 26th February 2008, 16:15   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Check the manual for the connection method; maybe the USB supports only directory scan (virtual drive) and not iPod sensing. Not sure, but I think direct iPod support is denoted by suffix IB in Pio's.

iPod support means ability to read iPod file system, which is not same as straightforward FAT32 directory access.
I have a 5050 it Reads the Tag's of songs and shows songs and playlists all things that ipod shows except Album art (Wish it did that too lol)

We can even shuffle or ramdomise etc etc highly recomended HU

Best part is it has 3 premps out front+Rear+Sub with Seperate Sub Volume control

Neat aye ?

Similar features from alpine costs 2 times the price or more

Pioneer proved true VFM stuff again
Old 26th February 2008, 16:34   #7
BANNED

Put some MP3 format songs in your iPod and see whether it works or not as USB is ment for MP#, Wav, wma etc supported format not for iPod, u need to get seprate cable for that.
Old 26th February 2008, 16:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

get the manual and read it well, i have a 6950 and i use my aux to connect the i pod just plays fine, may be you are doing something wrong just read the manual and should solve the problem.

@ajay biz the HU is capable of playing both the formats the aac and mp3s as well so that is not the issue!
Old 26th February 2008, 17:00   #9
BHPian

Can someone please let me know on how much is this 5050 HU costs in bangalore?
Old 27th February 2008, 09:46   #10

Update - it works!

Thanks for your replies. Well i found out what the issue was - Pio HU's support only 5th generation IPOD's and nanos. This is from the Pioneer Website -

"USB iPod interface is compatible with following iPod® players: 5th generation or later; Firmware Version 1.2 or later; iPod nano Version 1.2 or later. A 3rd or 4th generation iPod® requires CD-IB100II"

So i upgraded the IPOD software on my nano and now it works like a dream! However, my other IPOD is a 4th generation and therefore wont work unless i buy that cable mentioned above.

Let me know if you have any other queries about the 5050.

Thanks,
Rahul
Old 27th February 2008, 11:38   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolimuttai View Post
Can someone please let me know on how much is this 5050 HU costs in bangalore?

Something aroung 7 K i guess
Old 29th March 2008, 01:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
get the manual and read it well, i have a 6950 and i use my aux to connect the i pod just plays fine, may be you are doing something wrong just read the manual and should solve the problem.

@ajay biz the HU is capable of playing both the formats the aac and mp3s as well so that is not the issue!
Hey i have a 6950 as well,
Wat cable do u use for connecting the i pod, i have a I PHONE and i guess the 6950 HU doesnt have a direct connection, we have to buy a cable for AUX(Back) to IPOD/IPHONE! Rite!??

I need to know the cable and the price, if u frm Mumbai, wer did u get it frm too!?
Old 29th March 2008, 11:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Put some MP3 format songs in your iPod and see whether it works or not as USB is ment for MP#, Wav, wma etc supported format not for iPod, u need to get seprate cable for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
You need an additional cable to connect the ipod. It won't work with the normal usb socket.
AFAIK that is exactly wrong. With the earlier Pioneer HUs you needed to get a proprietary Pioneer cable. With the 2008 series, you fix directly to the USB connection using the same cable you use to connect to the computer. (btw by their own admission the only difference between this cable and Pioneer's CD-IU50 cable is that the latter is designed to withstand the hardship of being in a car - which sounds like marketing talk for "It's the same thing, but do buy ours").
Old 9th April 2008, 13:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
AFAIK that is exactly wrong. With the earlier Pioneer HUs you needed to get a proprietary Pioneer cable. With the 2008 series, you fix directly to the USB connection using the same cable you use to connect to the computer. (btw by their own admission the only difference between this cable and Pioneer's CD-IU50 cable is that the latter is designed to withstand the hardship of being in a car - which sounds like marketing talk for "It's the same thing, but do buy ours").
Quote:
Originally Posted by goarules View Post
Thanks for your replies. Well i found out what the issue was - Pio HU's support only 5th generation IPOD's and nanos. This is from the Pioneer Website -

"USB iPod interface is compatible with following iPod® players: 5th generation or later; Firmware Version 1.2 or later; iPod nano Version 1.2 or later. A 3rd or 4th generation iPod® requires CD-IB100II"

So i upgraded the IPOD software on my nano and now it works like a dream! However, my other IPOD is a 4th generation and therefore wont work unless i buy that cable mentioned above.

Let me know if you have any other queries about the 5050.

Thanks,
Rahul
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
I got the 5050 as well the cabnle supplied is a normal USB to USB cable u need your iPOD cable to use the functionality , plug in your ipod into the cable which came with the iPod and connect the other end to the cable which came with the 5050
Direct copy-paste from 5050 user manual

iPod® compatibility: This unit can control and listen to songs on an iPod.
This unit can control the following iPod models.
— iPod nano
— iPod fifth generation or later
For maximum performance, we recommend that you use the latest version of the iPod software.
When using an iPod, iPod Dock Connector to USB Cable is required.
This unit can control previous generations iPod models with a Pioneer iPod adapter (e.g. CD-IB100N). In this case, most functions are essentially the same as an iPod connected to USB interface of this unit. However, functions related to Audiobooks and Podcasts cannot be used.
Now it gets confusing. There are 2 iPod interface cables mentioned in the user manual
1. CD-IU50 - Which to me looks like the normal iPod cable that comes with the iPod
2. CD-IB100 II - Which looks like a generic solution for all Pioneer HUs and all iPods. here's what it says: iPod Compatibility CD-IB100 II
Battery charging - Yes on all generations April 2003 – September 2007
List Browsing - Yes on all generations April 2003 – September 2007
Music Playback - Yes on all generations April 2003 – September 2007
IMO, the CD-IU50 is useless as it doesnt serve any specific purpose, other than being a backup cable for your car (so that you have a spare cable at home).

Whats the cost of CD-IB100II?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 9th April 2008 at 14:08.
Old 6th November 2009, 01:09   #15
BHPian

guys has anyone been able to find the Pioneer iPod connection cable in Mumbai? FYI I have the Pioneer 5950..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks