Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 00:21   #1

A Very Quick Question!

Hi All!
Let me confess straight-up that if you call me a newbie in the world of ICE, it would be just plain slander against newbies of ICE!

I bought a Fiesta 1.4ZXI in Sep '07 and the showroom-wallas bundled me with a basic Kenwood HU (KDC4019). Yes yes, no ports (holes) to plug in iPods and other such esoteric stuff And they installed 4 XPlod speakers. It was ok, till about fifteen thousand people commented acidicly that it sucked!

To be honest, it does. Pull the volume level above 22 and the ICE begs to be switched off! So, I am planning to go in for a speakers upgrade. (Please don't blast me if speakers are called components or coaxials or woogieboogie nowdays!). Asked around and got the feedback that JBL is the king of sorts. [Btw, what effect does HU have on sound quality?]

So, I am here for some much needed advice. What speakers should I go in for? I am more of a subdued listener - perfer contemporary music (less Himess Bhai), quite a bit of Nirvana & Metallica fan and ofc Jagjit Bhai forever

My budget about 10K. But please not above 15K! [Yes, I read the 'Statutory Warning' thread, point #6!]

Hope that was quick! Awating some responses.
Thanks a lot!

PS: To Mods, used only 2 smileys! Trying to follow the rules! Oops!

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd April 2008 at 02:19. Reason: 3rd smiley removed.
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Now that was an enjoyable read Engineoil! I'm sure the ICE guru's will be here to help you shortly.

But yes, 10-15k will get you two sets of nice speakers which will improve your ICE immensely. Rest I'll leave to the Cow-riding guruji's!
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fiesta accommodates 5x7 but in JBL u have options like 607C which are 6.5 inch i guess and retails at MRP of Rs. 6500 only. Usually the price is Rs 5 - 5.8K with Bill and Warranty for the above. So in 15k budget u can go for 2 components from JBL easily considering they will fit the stock location with spacer rings.

Rest you can go for the following:
1. Front Components: 6k B/W
2. Get new HU: 5K considering u get a HU with AUX and USB and other features and exchange the current HU. Current HU might sell for 1.5K so total HU cost 3.5k

Also is there rear provision in doors for fiesta speakers. I kinda forgot.

So within a budget of 15k u can easily get 4 Speakers and a HU if u want to change and if you dont want to change the HU then u can get an amp instead and drive the front components.

P.S. Components will sound sweet with an AMP.

Last edited by abhibh : 2nd April 2008 at 01:46.
Old 2nd April 2008, 08:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you replace those speakers pronto with a 4 channel amp & components for the front. Add a rear speaker later on when budget permits. Or if you have decided 15k is all that you want to spend on the system, then just replace all 4 speakers with components for the front & good ovals for the rear (Boston, Alpine, Hertz or JBL). Try to listen to each (I know that is difficult) before you decide.
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:12   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I would suggest you replace those speakers pronto with a 4 channel amp & components for the front. Add a rear speaker later on when budget permits. Or if you have decided 15k is all that you want to spend on the system, then just replace all 4 speakers with components for the front & good ovals for the rear (Boston, Alpine, Hertz or JBL). Try to listen to each (I know that is difficult) before you decide.
you are right Steem lover In his budget an amp might be tough so let him get rid of the Xplods and shove in decent components in the front and a pair of 6"x9" coaxials in the rear to begin with !!!
As thirst for More audio builts in and so does the budget we can give him the other options!!

What say guys ?
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineOil View Post
And they installed 4 XPlod speakers. It was ok, till about fifteen thousand people commented acidicly that it sucked!

Pull the volume level above 22 and the ICE begs to be switched off! So, I am planning to go in for a speakers upgrade.
My budget about 10K. But please not above 15K!
15 thousand reasons to spend 15K on speakers!

For 15K you could consider Infinity, Illusion, Hertz Energy, and Blaupunkt ODc/Thc.
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Components will make a world of difference. Since there are no 5x7 components readily available, it would be better to fit 5.25" components (JBL GTO507, Infinity 5020c, Hertz DSK130, Illusion Electra, Blaupunkt THc, ...) in the front - should cost 6K or thereabouts. Fit the mid-bass in the stock location and the tweeters in the ORVM inside cover (if your ORVM has a lever, then put it on the door pad or at the bottom of the A-Pillar - search, there are plenty of pics here on this subject).

Fit JBL 5x7 oval coax in the stock locations on the rear door - 4K or so.

Persist with the stock HU unless you are in dire need for connecting an iPod. Once you have got used to the changed setup enough to feel the absence of a sub, spend some more to change the HU (6-9K), and then add an amp and a sub (10-12K).

@engineoil, you have a terrific writing style and command over language, as smooth as your handle's function and very humorous.
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Do you plan to add a sub or not. If yes then 10 k will be a little short.

Else go for a compo in the front and ovals in the back to get the job done in budget.
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:29   #9
BHPian

Guys why does his HU switch off at higher volumes?
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:36   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To be honest, it does. Pull the volume level above 22 and the ICE begs to be switched off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Guys why does his HU switch off at higher volumes?
I dont think it does. It was just an expression.
Old 2nd April 2008, 23:37   #11
BHPian

Oops sorry! I guess thats what reading too quickly does.
Old 8th April 2008, 16:14   #12

Hi Guys,
Thanks a lot for your replies! Sorry, got a little late in acknowledging them. So, went in for Blaupunkt finally. Did a demo run of JBL, but kind of liked BP better. This is what I got:

Front: GT633
Blaupunkt - Loudspeakers - GT-Series - GTx 663

Rear: GT693
Blaupunkt - Loudspeakers - GT-Series - GTx 693

The set cost me Rs. 5,400 with a six month warranty. Got the privilege of invoking it on day one itself! Apperantly during the installation, some careless drill work resulted in metal chippings falliing into one of the rear speakers. It went kaput about 20 mins later with splutering noises that sounded like sparking! But, was replaced without a murmur from the store.

So, who is enjoying the disc-in-a-car experience? I am!
Who is rediscovering a lost passion for music? I am!
And who is think about going in for a sub and amp? I am!

Just what I had feared!
Once again, thanks to all of you
Old 8th April 2008, 20:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Thanks a lot for your replies! Sorry, got a little late in acknowledging them. So, went in for Blaupunkt finally. Did a demo run of JBL, but kind of liked BP better.

Hey congrats for the new speaker setup. After so many days of reading on our Team-Bhp i read someone fitting Blau speakers after actually auditioning them. Great going EngineOil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks