Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:47   #1

Advice about audio setup for Maruti 800

hello!

i am planning to install an audio system on to my Maruti 800 (2001 model)
i have zeroed upon a few specs, here they are

Pioneer any model between – 7000k to 8000k
JBL GT 936 or 937 – 4000k to 5000k
Speaker box – 850
Wiring and labor – 2000
I HAVE A BUDGET OF 15000 TO 16000
i am thinking of even installing a Sony 2 channel amp. all the above will com with a bill and warranty.

i got these specs from a dealer named Sprocket in Koramangala, Bangalore (Bangalore guys would know, i guess). so i would like to ask a couple of questions?

1. Should i go in for the stock wiring or go for a better wiring system?
2. Should i mount the rear speakers on a plank or install them with speaker boxes vertically in the rear? which one would give me good accoustics?
3. Will the 2 channel amp be sufficient for me to install a subwoofer later on?

i would be greatful if you guys give me valuable opinions on this issue.

Thanks, regards

Gautam.
Old 22nd April 2008, 18:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamsnn View Post
i got these specs from a dealer named Sprocket in Koramangala, Bangalore (Bangalore guys would know, i guess). so i would like to ask a couple of questions?

1. Should i go in for the stock wiring or go for a better wiring system?
2. Should i mount the rear speakers on a plank or install them with speaker boxes vertically in the rear? which one would give me good accoustics?
3. Will the 2 channel amp be sufficient for me to install a subwoofer later on?
Sprocket is a good dealer, but - his prices are normally higher and not sure if he has good installers.

1. Search for the thread on installers and ICE shops in Bangalore - maybe one of them will be more suitable for you
2. Search in the Sound Off and Show Off thread for any installations in M800 - this can give you a good idea of the possibilities (don't get scared of one of the installations which has huge square woofers in the back and only 2 seats)

Your choice of equipment is OK, though instead of Sony you could think of JBL, Blaupunkt, Panasonic, Pioneer or Alpine amplifier. You will need a 4-ch if you want both the speakers and the sub on the amp.

JBL GTO 937 should cost you less than 4500 if you bargain well (if you can, look in at Sound Factor, the JBL brand shop on Lavelle Road - you can audition the speakers there).

If you can search for the thread (in the SO-SO section) which shows a neat installation in an Alto, maybe you could think of mounting the speakers in boxes on the quarter glass - saves you the hassle of the parcel tray.

Since the 6x9 can only go in the rear, your sound stage will be totally in the rear - not really recommended. May be other TBHPians can advise whether you can mount 6.5" components in the front door (door pad) instead. Costs slightly more, but the difference in listening experience when you are driving is quite a lot. Unless you listen to music REALLY loud, you will be able to avoid the amp but still have a good system.

If you go step by step, you will be able to add a 4-ch amp and the 6x9 later. Next step after that - add the sub, driving the front and sub via amp, with the 6x9 driven from the HU.

I doubt if the 2001 M800 comes prewired, but even if it does it is better to use a good wiring kit (avoid Boss and such).
Old 22nd April 2008, 19:03   #3
BHPian

After amping my 6x9s with the gto75.4 , the quality of sound has improved tremendously. I recommend it highly.
Old 22nd April 2008, 22:59   #4

@ DerAlte

thanks for the information! i am much better informed now..
as you mentioned, I think SoundFactor will be a good option for me.. I will also try to do some R&D at Audio Fusion( i heard through a lot of posts that Anwar at AF is really good).
i already have front speakers under the dashboard as i have a Blaupunkt tape player right now..so do you think that will an ok substitute for the front speakers?
Can you also tell me which Pioneer HU will be good? i dont necessarily need a USB port but if i can plug in my Creative MP3 player it would be great!
what sort of wiring would be the best for my audio setup?
thanks again for the info!
peace!
Old 23rd December 2011, 17:16   #5
BHPian

Re: Advice about audio setup for Maruti 800

Bumping up this old thread for a quick query. I want to install my two JBL speakers on to a parcel tray or even a wooden plank on my M800. The speakers occupy whatever little boot space is left in my car and also the wire keeps getting disconnected. So thought it would be a good idea to put them on a parcel shelf.

My friend has a Parcel tray he bought for his Zen (old, not estilo). Would that fit in my car?

Or Please advise where I can get a parcel tray for my car in Bangalore. I checked around JC road but could not get it.

Would be really helpful if someone can point me to a shop.
Old 25th December 2011, 12:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

You are unlikely to get one readymade. Your best bet would be to ask a carpenter to custom-make one for you from 3/4" MDF or ply (not board). Anything less, and the parcel shelf will sag under the weight of the speakers. If you don't get pieces of that, get 1/2" treated ply and join 2 layers with Araldite. Get some carpet material from a car decor shop and stick it to the finished piece with syn rubber glue (like Fevicol SR).

Mounting one can be a challenge since there is no ledge - the carpenter should be able to get alu L-brackets from a hardware shop and use 1/2" self-tapping screws to mount it to the sides.

To prevent the wire from getting disconnected, leave a short loop before the speaker connection, and anchor it to one of the mounting screws with a tie strap.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 21:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Bumping up this old thread for a quick query. I want to install my two JBL speakers on to a parcel tray or even a wooden plank on my M800. The speakers occupy whatever little boot space is left in my car and also the wire keeps getting disconnected. So thought it would be a good idea to put them on a parcel shelf.

My friend has a Parcel tray he bought for his Zen (old, not estilo). Would that fit in my car?

Or Please advise where I can get a parcel tray for my car in Bangalore. I checked around JC road but could not get it.

Would be really helpful if someone can point me to a shop.
If u have a look at the m800 parts catalaogue there is a parcel tray MGP available for about 1500 which is fibre . one guy in my bldg has it .Unlike the alto and zen the mgp parcel tray is a direct fit but with the 800 side plastic cladding needs to be installed behind the seat to hold the tray. This is part of the mgp parcel tray package. Before u ask me about the tray in my friends car it came preinstalled car and the car was second hand so he does not now the details.But check the parts catalogue.
anky is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks