Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2008, 22:02   #1
BHPian

Rockford Fosgate P312D4 magnet in basket moving.

Hi, Just bought a Rockford Fosgate subwoofer P312D4. The magnet with the VC can be moved up and down. I mean If i tilt the sub, the magnet comes out of basket and u know the sound it generates when metal to metal clings. Is this normal?? Or should i use some strong glue to stick the magnet enclosure to the basket. I know I am still not clear but would be more than happy to clarify further. Please advice.
Old 26th April 2008, 23:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't sound normal. Self-help is not worth it (unless you got it free) - take it back to where you bought it from.
Old 28th April 2008, 18:27   #3
BHPian

Well I took it from ebay and not worth it sending it back as will incure huge postage on it.

More to explain, If i place the subwoofer upside down, the magnet falls off on the cone. So I too feel its not normal, so can i use silicon to make the magnet intact to the basket or what abt quick fix. btw. if the subwoofer is placed upside, I dont get that unusuals cranks of the metal to metal vibrations.

Help.
Old 28th April 2008, 18:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Aiyaiyo! That doesn't augur well at all!

The main problem of repairing in such situations is getting the voice coil to be centered correctly with the magnet. The annular space in which the voice coil moves up and down is only a few mm wide, and if the VC is not in the center, the coil will rub against the magnet, lose its insulation and ultimately short out.

Now, assuming that the assembly method was fairly simple, and the design was robust and fool-proof enough for manufacturing, you have 2 possibilities:

1. As you have suggested, stick the magnet down. Not with silicone - but with cyano-acrylate glue, like FeviQuik or such. From the look of it in the pics, this looks like a difficult proposition, since the frame kind of shrouds the magnet. The problem is if the glue seeps anywhere else, you will have a totally unusable subwoofer!

2. Take it to the local RF main dealer / distributor, and see if they can help getting it repaired. It would help if you write directly to RF about the problem - maybe they can suggest the best course of action
Old 28th April 2008, 20:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Kiran, you have splendid advice, just my 2 extra cents.

There should be a distinct circular marking on the inside of the basket where the magnet is supposed to have originally resided, a glue footprint or the like. Make sure you shift the magnet to exactly occupy that before proceeding to glue. Even after moving it to that position, before gluing, gently press down the cone from opposite sides using equal pressure and see if you can feel any rubbing when the cone moves down. If it goes down freely until the lowest point, you have mostly placed the magnet right.

I only hope that all the moving and turning the subwoofer upside down hasnt already damaged the suspension, chipped the magnet or bent the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
2. Take it to the local RF main dealer / distributor, and see if they can help getting it repaired.
Good luck with that. cheers:
Old 29th April 2008, 15:24   #6
BHPian

I havent done anything till now and what i have done is placed it upright and screwed it in box and without shaking the box too much i kept it in truck. Now when i play it there is no unusual sounds as the magnet has been seated and its upright. I tried to run my finger on the inside of the case and there were some signs that it must hav e been intact there. I dont think there is a RF centre in UK. If i was in US maybe I could. Let me pose this in RF support site. Neverthless the sub is awesome and I run it with Pioneer 510D.
Old 30th April 2008, 00:51   #7
BHPian

Ok I got a response from RF support team and I append it so that it is helpful for other members.

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Jeremy) - 04/29/2008 08:49 AM
Phani:
That should not be like that at all. You will need to glue it back on there with some epoxy or something really strong. Make sure it is dead centered.

Auto-Response - 04/29/2008 02:58 AM
SmartAssistant answers were appended to the question.

Customer (Kiran) - 04/29/2008 02:57 AM
Hi, Just bought a Rockford Fosgate subwoofer P312D4. The magnet with the VC can be moved up and down. I mean If i tilt the sub, the magnet comes out of basket and u know the sound it generates when metal to metal clings. Is this normal?? Or should i use some strong glue to stick the magnet enclosure to the basket. More to explain, If i place the subwoofer upside down, the magnet falls off on the basket. So I too feel its not normal, btw if the subwoofer is placed upside, I dont get that unusuals cranks of the metal to metal vibrations.

Question Reference #080429-000007

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks