Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 10:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

I have been using a 4 GB ScanDisk USBD drive with my JVC KDAVX33 Single din HU for the past six months and regulaurly play video and music off this drive. I have not notice any probelms what so ever. Do note that the USB connectivity is Via cable which comes with the HU rather than directly on to the HU. I also routinely make use of a 40 GB usb HDD to play movies and videos . The HU is capable to playing upto DivX 6.1 encoded files so its a breeze. No issues with the HDD also . Have operated the HU continously for 12 hour ( during drive from Bangalore to trivandrum) and no issues

I would think that static electricity is the culprit here also given the fact that USB memory are more often solid state devices.
Old 10th June 2008, 10:37   #47
BANNED

Is it ok to keep connected the USB drive to the head unti even if not using it while driving?As it keeps on blinking.
Old 10th June 2008, 14:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I... given the fact that USB memory are more often solid state devices.
They are ALWAYS solid state.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
When I took the pen drive to sony dealer for replacement under warranty, he flatly refused saying that the warranty stands null void in such cases. He told that the pen drives are never ment for high speed continuous data transfer. Live audio streeming cannot be done using conventional pen drives!

Has anyone of you experienced similar issues..?
A simple logic. Doesn't sony also make HU with USB support ? I guess the sony R&D people spent millions of $ to make sure that flash drives are compatible with USB HU and they have been tried and tested with sony USB HU's. So you can ask your dealer not to give you any crap tech gyan and simply to replace the drive. If he's unwilling, you can contact sony support directly for a replacement.
Old 21st June 2008, 16:40   #50
BHPian

usb heating up!!

hello

i got a new sony gt670 usb model, but the usb gets heated within 2 or 3 tracks being played..i've checked with 2 other usb's and the result was same.is this a normal phenomenon? if so,wat cud be the reason, because i have n't seen usb's heating up when plugged onto pc

with regards
Old 21st June 2008, 16:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

In PC also the USB gets heated up when you use it for transfers several times,my 1GB toshiba gets heated up as soon as it connect to the PC but nothing happenes its 2yrs old now,so i think its normal.
Old 4th July 2008, 23:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

.. but just tell the dealer that the usb drive fried while taking a backup of your mp3s!
Old 18th July 2008, 12:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Well my Kenwood HU - 5039U has a option to safely remove the USB drive. Press the eject button for 3 secs and you can safely remove any USB device you have connected to it.
Old 18th July 2008, 14:13   #54
BHPian

I have a Pio 4050 in my setup. the manual says that it can support USB drives upto 250GB. I tried plugging in my WD 250 Passport drive. normally if i connect a usb drive to the HU usb port the source changes to USB and starts playing. however my experience was that initially the HDD doesn't get detected then after a while and fiddling with the source buttons, the HU suddenly select USB and power off and powers on by itself. then it goes ON OFF every 0.5 or 1 sec .same way the HDD light also goes ON OFF.

My initial guess is the HU doesn't give enough power to the HDD however if that was the case why does it first power on the HDD nicely and then start the ON OFF business after some time. The HDD should never power in the first place. If this HDD doesn't work i m planning to go to Lamington road and buy a small 40 or 80 GB laptop HDD and put in a casing. and load all my MP3s to it.

How may Mp3's can i load to a HDD and still be playable on the HU.
Old 18th July 2008, 14:23   #55
Team-BHP Support

Leadf00t, for HU needs I suggest you buy a 1'8" drive instead of the 2.5" drive as the former takes less power.
Old 18th July 2008, 14:33   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Is it ok to keep connected the USB drive to the head unti even if not using it while driving?As it keeps on blinking.

It’s the design and the material that used on the chip causes this heat and the cover around the USB drive, if any one has use the USB drive with the plastic cover off they would not feel the heat as the air will be flowing around it, as I am a techy I try lot of stuffs in home, but cannot suggest every as I'm afraid that it's not a very good idea: It is known that the internal stresses produced during the curing stage of these kind of resins is, in most cases, enough to break the tiny cooper traces on the printed circuit board or break some electronic components in ceramic chip packages (like surface mount resistors and capacitors).For these reason, big names like Dow Corning, Henkel, Dupont, etc, manufactures special resins and polymers for this specific purpose and are known as "potting compounds" and "conformal coatings"

Also it will depend of the quality of the LED used on them, LED’s are used to produce more light and less heat but few will produce more heat and less light

A person who has attended digital classes can explain us even better; I think it’s a NAND chip that’s used on the USB drives.

Last edited by vinayvtec : 18th July 2008 at 14:36. Reason: There was a line which was missed out
Old 18th July 2008, 14:36   #57
BHPian

1.8" drive????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Leadf00t, for HU needs I suggest you buy a 1'8" drive instead of the 2.5" drive as the former takes less power.
1.8" drives that sounds nice but i never knew they were available easily.

i thought these drives will only be used in special app and will be available to OEM for stuff like handycam, PMP etc.

can you suggest who makes these drives which can be available over the counter.

I am getting interested now. btw what kind of capacities are they available in.??
Old 18th July 2008, 14:44   #58
Team-BHP Support

I have seen these being sold in USB 2.0 cases in Nehru place delhi. I am sure there is such a market in your city too(is it Mumbai?). Lamington road or something.
Old 18th July 2008, 14:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

160 GB 1.8" costs 3400 here
Old 18th July 2008, 15:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

Easily available in Mumbai, and like everything else available for home delivery

TheITWares - Hard Disk Drives / Laptop Hard Disks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks