Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 23:10   #1
BHPian

Santro 2002 - How do I mount my rear speakers?

Hi guys,
Need to ask some advice from all you gurus. I have a reasonable in-car audio system which I use to play from my Zune (using a Macally FM transmitter)

For sometime now, I had a plank near the rear door of the santro which had the speakers mounted on it (e.g. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...04-xs-ice.html picture #3 - this looks similar to it). Twice it has happened that the plank gave way when the car has rattled enough over Delhi's potholes.

In these forums, I see people mounting their speakers on the rear doors. Is it a good idea and/or are there any enclosures of mounting it to the side of the rear door.

Please guys help - my speakers have crashed to the floor of the rear compartment and Im waiting to hear from you guys, before I go for another plank or some alternative.

I live in south Delhi - work in Noida. Any particular vendor recommendations?

thanks in advance
Old 6th May 2008, 20:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you have access to a good carpenter, you could get boxes fabricated over the wheel wells (side panels of the boot). Just make sure they fit snugly - otherwise bass from the ovals is going to cause more rattling than Delhi potholes.

The boxes used to come prefabricated for the old Santro, maybe if you hunt around you may find some lying around in some shop.

You could mount them on the rear hatch, but in that case you have to replace the cardboard hatch cover with at least a 0.5" MDF board, covered with appropriate upholstery. If you do this, make sure you stuff the inside of the hatch door with closed cell foam, wherever you feel something is likely to rattle.
Old 6th May 2008, 23:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You could mount them on the rear hatch, but in that case you have to replace the cardboard hatch cover with at least a 0.5" MDF board, covered with appropriate upholstery. If you do this, make sure you stuff the inside of the hatch door with closed cell foam, wherever you feel something is likely to rattle.
Der Alte if you check out the pics silverbyte has refered to he seems to calling the rear hatch the rear door. I seems like he has already installed his picxs on the hatch, but it just was not a good job done.
Old 7th May 2008, 17:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

No, Navin, his parcel shelf installation came a'cropper, possibly because the installer had cut it a tad too small. @ullal_h's pics also show a parcel shelf.

Actually there are very few installations on TBHP, for whatever reason, where the speakers are directly mounted on the rear hatch. No reason why they cannot, since the rear ones are not participating in the imaging.

The boxes over the wheel well were quite popular with the old Santro - have them in my wife's Santro.
Old 7th May 2008, 19:35   #5
BHPian

hi guys,
Thanks for replying in.
Sorry for the confusion - I did mean the parcel shelf (now I know the terminology). IT has come off on more than one occasion - probably because of the abundance of potholes going from Delhi to Ghaziabad!

Which is why I need advice - is it a good idea to get them installed on the rear hatch itself? I tend not to prefer them with boxes in the boot, because I would then be left with precious little boot space - but if there is no alternative, then what the hell.
If I have to get them installed on the rear hatch, will they need to install "spacers" ? (I hope Im using the correct terminology)

thanks a lot
Old 8th May 2008, 00:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, Navin, his parcel shelf installation came a'cropper, possibly because the installer had cut it a tad too small. @ullal_h's pics also show a parcel shelf..
wont a layer of carpet over the existing shelf fix that.
Old 8th May 2008, 14:06   #7
BHPian

My existing shelf is made of a wood-like material - I definitely would want something more robust which wont let my speakers bounce around, when the car is on the potholes.

This is why I wanted to know the viability of getting the speakers fixed somewhere else. Or if the gurus think that parcel shelf (albeit a better quality one) is the only option, then Im all for it.
Old 8th May 2008, 14:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbyte View Post
My existing shelf is made of a wood-like material .
get one made of 3/4" (18-19mm) MDF or void free marine grade plywood. then have it covered in the same colour fabric (usually rexine or carpet) that matches with the interiors of your car.
Old 8th May 2008, 14:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My existing shelf is made of a wood-like material - I definitely would want something more robust which wont let my speakers bounce around, when the car is on the potholes.

This is why I wanted to know the viability of getting the speakers fixed somewhere else. Or if the gurus think that parcel shelf (albeit a better quality one) is the only option, then Im all for it.
If you say "wood like material", it sounds like it has been made out of 3/4" block board - the kind that is used for cupboard shelves at home. This has *much* more flex than MDF, and that is probably the reason why it is coming off the narrow ledge it is kept on. Not sure if it is, since you have not posted a pic.

The second reason was that it was not fit close enough to the area available, resulting in 'play'. Navin had suggested putting some carpet pieces tightening the shelf mounting. You could also replace the board with a good quality MDF one - this time make sure that it is cut to size properly, and mounted with carpet packing to prevent 'play'

The boxes I had suggested wouldn't take up boot space.

Of course, the rear hatch mounting is always there. Whether you would need spacer rings depends on the free depth behind the speaker magnet, and would be known only while mounting.
Old 8th May 2008, 17:44   #10
BHPian

DerAlte,
thanks for the info - would you by any chance have any pictures of the boxes over the wheel well.
I can then take a print and take it to wherever I'm going to be fitted from.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post it.
Old 9th May 2008, 14:18   #12
BHPian

thanks a lot - I want to get an idea of how you guys install your speakers in the santro
Old 10th May 2008, 20:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pics of the boxes over the wheel-wells:

Santro 2002 - How do I mount my rear speakers?-p10506471.jpg
Santro 2002 - How do I mount my rear speakers?-p10506481.jpg

These are pre-fab boxes, so should be available off-the-shelf.
Old 11th May 2008, 00:57   #14
BHPian

wow.... this is cool. Im gonna go tomm to Driven and find out if they have it (gotta load the pics on my phone)

Are these boxes available specifically as Santro speaker boxes - I mean if I want to buy it somewhere, what do I ask for?

thanks a lot DerAlte!
Old 11th May 2008, 16:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Are these boxes available specifically as Santro speaker boxes - I mean if I want to buy it somewhere, what do I ask for?...
From the angles of the sides of the boxes, I guess these were specifically for Santro. Maybe "Santro speaker boxes" would get a response.

I doubt if Driven would have these - they are unlikely to hold non-moving stock. Better would be to pound the beat in Lajpat Nagar, Daryaganj, Lajpatrai Market or such places - start searching at the old car upholstery places, they are the ones most likely to recognize or know where to get them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks