Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2008, 19:01   #1
BHPian

Time for ICE upgrade in my Lancer

The time has come.

After browsing the ICE section for months together, I finally feel that it time to upgrade the ICE in my lancer.

I am now in Amsterdam and was contemplating picking up some stuff here in Amsterdam. I posted for some help Here but the advice from derAlte and Navin made me change my mind. However I still keep getting thoughts , whether I should buy at least an Alpine HU from here. Yes I owe a travelogue of the “Sincity” to DerAlte as promised but I guess that will take time. Coz I am just too lazy.

I will go to MediaMarkt tomorrow and find out model and prices (only of Alpine HUs. don’t want to get more confused) and post here. Guys please suggest me a decent Alpine HU within a budget of about 10 or 12K INR / 200 EUR (But do read on for my confusion on this later on)

I haven’t really posted much (guess that explains my newbie status yet).
I always felt like I know nothing about ICE after reading the post of gurus like Sam, Navin and LBM , B&T ,Hydrashok ,DerAlte and ah yes LBM paaji through their cubic feet calculations, wire gauge impedances and octave nudges to boost a certain frequency freq range and band pass filters to squeeze that last bit of SQ .

All said.

My budget for now is 25K not a rupee more. Don’t want to get in to ICE VICE to splurge my Vitamin M. I really wonder how I m going to convince that I am spending 25K on just “dhinchak dhinchak” music for my car. Well dhinchak dhinchak not really.

I am coming back to India sometime mid June. My lancer is hibernating waiting to go on a long drive with me. But before I take her anywhere it time for ICE upgrade. I have 2 days before I rejoin office in Pune so need to get her back in shape and rocking…. So here start my hunt for advice in ICEing my Lancer

My existing setup - got this went I picked my lancer.
Pioneer DEH3550MP- simple mp3 cd player 1 preout
Pioneer TS-A6960 6x9 rear coax
Unknown stupid front coaxes that are so faint that they can hardly be heard.

Music that I listen to
Well. I almost listen to everything that sound good to ears and lift my mood but just to list out.
Rock – Pink Floyd, Metallica, GnR, Linking Park, Iron Maiden, cranberries,
Not rock – right from shakira to Backstreet boys, Enigma, Arabic,
Bollywood, Indipop, Marathi film/album music.

I prefer laid back sound but would love to hear some bright setups if possible . might change my mind and add to the confusion.

But basically the setup should be able to handle anything that I throw at it and not mess up

Plans for the new setup. All with B&W

Front compos – (6.5K ) JBL GTO 607C or Illusion EL6.1 6.5” compos ( more inclined towards the Illusions after reading here that they have amazing SQ and are great VFM and should actually be priced around 10Kish) . Moralfibre’s ICE thread also impressed me. I assume that the Lancer stock positions will support the 6.5” compos. I want them to look like a stock install as much as possible.

Rear – Retain the existing 6x9 coax considering they would be running off the HU most of the time and in the longer run would be just rear Fills. Would the Pio 6x9 be good for enough for now or I should think of anything else.

Amp – (9K) Prefer a JBL 75.4 but doubt if I would be able to still find one. Will I be able to still pick one with B&W or I have to pick up in grey. If this is unavailable, can someone suggest another one with good SQ in the similar price/feature/power range? I plan to initially run the fronts and rears off the Amp. In the future (1 or 2 months) when I get a sub, I want to run the fronts and sub by the amp and the rears off the HU. Please suggest a good place to fix the amp where it can be easily tweaked as well. I have LPG kit in my lancer so the place behind the seats and between the wheel wells is all taken up. Can I put it on the side just behind the tail lamps? I can arrange a photo for you in a few days from a friend in India .but it will take 2 3 days. Can someone help me find and pick a JBL 75.4 now I can arrange for the dough and collect the amp when I come in India?

HU – Should I retain the existing one? Will it be the weakest link in the chain? Remember it has only one pre-out and in the future if I plan to run a front compos, rear fills and a sub it will probably be not able to give me individual inputs and will a daisy chain of RCAs reduce SQ. If I do retain them I save some dough and can think of a sub but can some jugad be done so that I fits in well into the setup and not hamper SQ. If I do have to get a new HU I found the Pioneer 6090 with USB/aux in to be good. Didnt find a cheaper .... or should i say in my budget alpine HU.

Wiring 2K – I plan to only put an amp now and put a woofer later

Damping – 2K only for the front doors (at least for now). Which brand what price Noisekill/Dynamat? How much sq ft would be required for the lancer front door? From what I see in most installs only the inside part where the door trims are fit are damped with the damping material. is it enough or we need to damp more surfaces

Well if I have to draw 4 surfaces of a door A|B C|D
A – exterior which is painted and we polish
The windows glass comes between side B and C
D- inside door trim side where isee most damping materials being put.
The | being the metal surfaces.

My question is which is the surface do we need to damp. Only D. or B & D.

Installer – FM drive. Read a lot of good about this place. Is there a good installer somewhere on the central line? I stay in thane and if someone who can match his quality of work on the central line I would do it there otherwise I am planning to get it done only at FM drive. How much would an installation cost?

For now looks like my budget is over
Fronts 6.5K
Amp 9K
Wiring – 2K
Damping -2K
Installation – 1K
HU – 4.5

what only 4.5K left for my HU

I am already beyond my budget of 25K …. Damn you guys….. I wonder how you always end up making people spend more….

Sub – I don’t have plans to put a sub right now. Unless I skip the HU. But like to address a few questions and if everything seems fine and I can afford to nudge my budget a bit. But there are more important questions to be sorted out.
I have an LPG kit like I said before and a 60Lit tank that takes a lot of space between the rear wheel wells and behind the seat. I also travel every week to Pune for work and am accompanied by friends, so typically also have a lot of luggage along. I want to make maximum utilization of the boot space so that the sub can be nicely tucked in one side firing sideways (not fouling with the boot lid), amp on the other side of the boot and still have decent place to put at least 3-4 bags in between. I liked the way Navin has his sub aligned to the side in his Skoda. Is there someone who can design a custom enclosure to fit my req.? Can such a custom sub enclosure also be removable when I need to squeeze in more luggages?

Whew that a long long post. I guess it covers most of my ICE requirements. For now.

Gurus please help this confused ICEer get his dream ICE setup.

Mod : sorry for the long post but I wrote it too long to put my impressions and requirements clear.
Old 19th May 2008, 13:15   #2
BHPian

45 views and still no replies.
I was expecting to sit and discuss my new ICE over the weekend.

Where have all the ICE gurus disappeared.
Did I get it wrong somewhere. Was my post just too boring

OK. let me put it differently.

Existing setup.
Pioneer DEH3550MP- simple mp3 cd player 1 preout
Pioneer TS-A6960E 6x9 rear coax
Unknown front coaxes

Budget - 25K

New setup planned
Front compos – (6.5K ) JBL GTO 607C or Illusion EL6.1 6.5” compos
Rear - Retain old Pioneer TS-A6960E 6x9 rear coax
Amp -(9K) JBL 75.4 if still available somewhere. Else GT5 A604 Will now drive front compos and rear ovals. Later 2 channels bridged to run SUB.
HU - Should I retain the old one or get a new one . Find the DEH-P6050UB impressive.
Damping - (2K ) Front doors only
Wiring - (2K )
installation - (1K)
Sub - currenlty doesn't fit my budget of 25K but plan to put GT5-12 in a sealed box. Want tight bass. Will the 2 bridged channels of GT5 A604 be able to drive the sub in a sealed box ?

HELP.
Old 19th May 2008, 14:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
...Budget - 25K ...
Front components – Either is OK, as long as you have listened to them
Rear- Perfectly OK
Amp - Perfect
HU - Get a new one
Damping- 2K might be insufficient
Quote:
... Will the 2 bridged channels of GT5 A604 be able to drive the sub in a sealed box ...
Based on the experiences of the people who have done it, it would be sufficient. Depends on your needs, whether bass or BASS
Old 19th May 2008, 15:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

What price is the 6090? Is a grey Alpine not ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t
Well if I have to draw 4 surfaces of a door A|B C|D
A – exterior which is painted and we polish
The windows glass comes between side B and C
D- inside door trim side where isee most damping materials being put.
The | being the metal surfaces.
Try to cover B and D as much as possible. This would be about 12-15 sq. ft. per door. It would be difficult to apply on C and I still have to see someone doing A.

My question is which is the surface do we need to damp. Only D. or B & D.

There are many decent installers in Thane too, but the good ones are in Mumbai city. 1-1.5k should be the approximate cost for installation.

I think it would be difficult to make Navin-type box for Lancer. It would end up too small or foul with trunk lid. Skoda Octavia doesnt have the two arms like the Lancer lid for lowering/ raising.
Old 19th May 2008, 17:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Based on the experiences of the people who have done it, it would be sufficient. Depends on your needs, whether bass or BASS
I dont want too much SPL . All I want is tight bass that i can feel inside the car. and not for people on the road.
I had chosen the 75.4 only considering future upgrade to a sub.
So looks like the GT5 A604 should be good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Damping- 2K might be insufficient

...Budget - 25K ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Try to cover B and D as much as possible. This would be about 12-15 sq. ft. per door.
Yes . Rs 150 (noisekill for a 1 sq ft sheet) x 15 x 2 = 4.5K . I underestimated

Ok maybe I have to end up pushing my budget to 30K.

Quote:
What price is the 6090? Is a grey Alpine not ok?
Yes grey alpine should be fine. But which one? I am uneducated on the alpines available in mumbai.
I would like to see usb support/ min 5-band eq and enough customization thats why I chose the 6090 ( 9K with B&W last red in a post dated march )
I saw all the alpines with decent features only in 12+ range .
Moreover Iwant to cover all my ICE under the insurance. So will i get a bill for a grey Alpine. I presume NO. then how do I cover it for insurance. can soem other jugad be done to cover it under insurance.
I have already faced the heat of not having insurance for my ICE. I dont want to repeat my mistakes.

Quote:
There are many decent installers in Thane too, but the good ones are in Mumbai city. 1-1.5k should be the approximate cost for installation.
Decent is the golden word here. I havent raelly seen any quality installers in Thane . And I don't want 15 year old kids butchering my car.

I think I should stick to someone in Mumbai City. I will PM you once i m back in India.

Quote:
I think it would be difficult to make Navin-type box for Lancer. It would end up too small or foul with trunk lid. Skoda Octavia doesnt have the two arms like the Lancer lid for lowering/ raising.
Yes I too felt that was the main problem. Maybe I should just keep my sub related discussion for a little later and bring it up once i have the dough.

@B&T can you setup audition for me for my 2 choices of Compos when i m back.
Old 5th July 2008, 16:39   #6
BHPian

Finally its time.

I came back from amsterdam 2 weeks ago . Breathed a sigh of relief to back in Mumbai. i was in chennai last week and managed to meet nitrous. and was damn lucky to be able to pick a 75.4 there. so that restarted my ICE saga.
now at BOOM bandra. completing the install.
will keep you guys posted on the first impressions and install report.
MODS: Sorry for the bad alignment of content. typing from the mobile.
Old 5th July 2008, 19:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

All the Best!!

So, did you buy anything from Amsterdam?
Old 5th July 2008, 19:28   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
All the Best!!

Stuff there was too expensive. We compared the prices and found that stuff is cheaper here with bill and warranty compared to Netherlands. Pointless really to pick up anything from there.
Old 5th July 2008, 19:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Stuff there was too expensive. We compared the prices and found that stuff is cheaper here with bill and warranty compared to Netherlands. Pointless really to pick up anything from there.
I found the same in Ireland and Germany. Expensive than the price here with bill and warranty.
Old 7th July 2008, 11:59   #10
BHPian

Exceeded my budget but blown away by the results....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
All the Best!!

No , I didnt get anything from Amsterdam. The prices were really ridiculous.

Sorry, for not yet posting a report. I have been so overwhelmed by the new found SQ that I have been just driving my car like crazy since the install on saturday evening

I need to take a few pics of the amp and sub and will post a report tonight.

well to summarize it quickly. my new setup consists of the best VFM stuff from Illusion , GZ , JBL and Pioneer.

Well like all ICE freaks here I overshot my budget limits by quite a margin and having a tough time convincing my dad on why the hell did i spend so much

The report coming soon.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wanted Photos and reports, vineet. Start a thread in the show off section.
Old 7th July 2008, 13:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
well to summarize it quickly. my new setup consists of the best VFM stuff from Illusion , GZ , JBL and Pioneer.
Let me guess - Pio HU (4050/5050) and existing Pio co-axs, Illusion EL comps, GZ Sub. JBL 75.4 driving comps and sub .

Anyway congrats, waiting for the pics and detailed feedback.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a potentially good setup... awaiting details and pics
I have a feeling your setup will be similar to the one in my Lancer, given the names you have mentioned.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Let me guess - Pio HU (4050/5050) and existing Pio co-axs, Illusion EL comps, GZ Sub. JBL 75.4 driving comps and sub .

Anyway congrats, waiting for the pics and detailed feedback.
Pretty much on the target redfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Sounds like a potentially good setup... awaiting details and pics
I have a feeling your setup will be similar to the one in my Lancer, given the names you have mentioned.
@razor: Just checked whats there is you setup. Mine has quite a few things different than yours.

Let me go home ,collect all the pics and put that together in a new Sound off Show off thread.

Drove down today to my office in Pune on the expressway. Never has the ICE been so pleasurable when you are cruising at 120kmph for a distance of close to 100 km.

Yes and not to mention the flaunt value you get when people turn their heads hearing "something nice" being played.
Old 8th July 2008, 02:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
... I have been so overwhelmed by the new found SQ that I have been just driving my car like crazy since the install on saturday evening

Well like all ICE freaks here I overshot my budget limits by quite a margin and having a tough time convincing my dad on why the hell did i spend so much

The report coming soon.
@Leadf00t : I can understand that "I AM THE KING" feeling. I am going through the same feeling now aftr installing JBL, Illusion and Ground zero. Waiting for the pics mate!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks