Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2008, 14:17   #1
BHPian

TV subwoofer transplant to car audio?

Gurus,
Let me accept this first , so that the bricks that are thrown at me are tempered a bit.

I have a TV drumbeat system sub woofer, and it has no information written on it anywhere except the TV brand. For guys who had not seen something like this before, this is a bass booster box that was sitting on the top of my old 25" TV and creating a good deal of boom. It has two wires coming out of it, nothing more, nothing less - which used to be connected to a subwoofer output of the TV.

Now my question is - can I transplant this to a car audio system? I do not want to do it on my existing Santro, but am planning ahead for a car I will buying in soon. I am planning on a basic ICE with a decent HU, front components and rear coaxials to fit them all into a 12K. No amp or subwoofer for me now. I am wondering if I can use this box as a subwoofer in which case I will go for a HU with a subwoofer out built in. Or am I being stupid and the technologies are completely different between a TV and a car audio?

Experts, please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
TV subwoofer transplant to car audio?-drum-beat-1.jpg  

Old 25th May 2008, 19:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. This box is a bass reflex woofer box made of plastic, and is not amplified (most likely the TV had a specific amp for it)
2. It is not designed for the car environment, but for a room environment, so you are likely to get only bhooom if you listen hard
3. You will not be able to drive it with the HU to any significant loudness level
a. putting this in parallel with one of the channels (there are only 2 wires) will increase the load on THAT channel, and cause distortion
b. car HU amps do not normally allow bridged operation, so you really can't span both the channels

In short, NOT! As for the new car, it will feel downright insulted, and may refuse to come home with you!!!
Old 25th May 2008, 19:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

I've actually seen an installer put in one of these for an under seat install . There was some jugaad involved, but the guy had just 4" coax , and nothing in the rear, I suppose it made sense
Old 25th May 2008, 19:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Glass, please don't do this nonsense, I beg you.
Old 25th May 2008, 20:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. This box is a bass reflex woofer box made of plastic, and is not amplified (most likely the TV had a specific amp for it)
2. It is not designed for the car environment, but for a room environment, so you are likely to get only bhooom if you listen hard
3. You will not be able to drive it with the HU to any significant loudness level
a. putting this in parallel with one of the channels (there are only 2 wires) will increase the load on THAT channel, and cause distortion
b. car HU amps do not normally allow bridged operation, so you really can't span both the channels

In short, NOT! As for the new car, it will feel downright insulted, and may refuse to come home with you!!!
So you think it works with an amp? Sorry for not killing the idea yet! And if I understand correctly, a HU gives out a single set output for the sub (if at all)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I've actually seen an installer put in one of these for an under seat install . There was some jugaad involved, but the guy had just 4" coax , and nothing in the rear, I suppose it made sense
So this is not an outright impossible idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Glass, please don't do this nonsense, I beg you.
Granted. But do let me deliberate the idea however for the knowledge you share and I gain.

Thanks all.
Old 25th May 2008, 20:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

nah, if you're going to get rear 6x9's , they'll put out more bass than this thingy
Old 25th May 2008, 21:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Glass, assume you CAN use this box in the car. I can tell you how to do it.
But, before we get into that, what is called into question is the MOTIVE or the OBJECTIVE.
Do you want to enhance the sound quality in your car, or, for some reason not yet clear to us, are you planning a covert sabotage?
Old 25th May 2008, 21:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with you......you can't insult a new car any worse...
Old 25th May 2008, 21:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Glass, assume you CAN use this box in the car. I can tell you how to do it.
But, before we get into that, what is called into question is the MOTIVE or the OBJECTIVE.
Do you want to enhance the sound quality in your car, or, for some reason not yet clear to us, are you planning a covert sabotage?
No, just was exploring if I could use it as subwoofer to add in some bass without spending a packet . Thanks.
Old 25th May 2008, 22:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
No, just was exploring if I could use it as subwoofer to add in some bass without spending a packet . Thanks.
I would have actually guided you on how to best utilize this box had you not mentioned already what you plan to install. With that in place, this box is best left homeless.
Old 25th May 2008, 22:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I would have actually guided you on how to best utilize this box had you not mentioned already what you plan to install. With that in place, this box is best left homeless.
I would be glad to know your suggestion. I have not frozen on anything yet. Thanks.
Old 25th May 2008, 23:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... and nothing in the rear, I suppose it made sense
Quote:
nah, if you're going to get rear 6x9's ...
Make up your mind, Shreeman Hari Seengh!

@glass, you could actually use it (no matter whether it sounds good or bad): you need one of the small dinky amplifiers that the auto drivers use during elections (battery operated; lots of them available in Karnataka since they are redundant after the recent elections), connect the HU pre-amp output to it to feed the HU signal, and connect the boom-box to it.

[Disclaimer: You are not allowed to blame TBHP and its members if your car jumps into Hussainsagar Lake singing "Buddham sharanam gachchhami" after that]

Last edited by DerAlte : 25th May 2008 at 23:59.
Old 26th May 2008, 00:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tch Tch Tch....Uncleji your hindi is going to the dogs! The correct translation would be "Haraa Seeengh"!!
Old 26th May 2008, 02:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post

Before doing anything just open up the box and see the driver inside. If you do that I am damn sure you will throw it as far as you can. And you will just love your fake Pioneer/ Sony coaxials than heaven.
Old 26th May 2008, 04:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sirji, the installer who was putting the TV sub in was using it since there werent any rear 6x9's in the car, all it had were 4 inch coax in front

since Glass is getting 6x9's anyway,I said there would be no need for them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks