Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2008, 08:00   #1
BHPian

JBL CS60.4 repair guide

my ICE woes doesnt seem to cease. well this is part II of the deal. my 60.4 JBL amp has a dead MOSFET [i hope this is what it is called, the golden screw thingie..?]. the ones operating the sub are alright. the ones doing duty for the components have said goodbye.
pls let me know where to get it fixed in new delhi? i dont want to goto local electrical-walaa. i have been referred to a lot of these guys but i am fairly confident that they will wreck my amp for sure. also pls dont suggest some ultra hi-fi techno-jargon-buster, who would rip me off by boggling certain cool sounding abbreviations.
if u want a peek at my financial situations regarding ICE, refer here
Old 26th May 2008, 08:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm assuming it isn't under warranty.

Firstly a Metal Oxide Field Effect Transistor is not a golden screw thingy lol. It is a transistor and is proud to be something like this.
Name:  Picture 2.png
Views: 2789
Size:  53.3 KB

Secondly - how do you know that the MOSFET has failed? Yes it is quite possible but not necessary. My question is - how can you be sure?
Old 26th May 2008, 12:03   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Firstly a Metal Oxide Field Effect Transistor
correction: it is
Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor

MOFET is Jewish/Yiddish/Herbew word (something I learnt while at Yeshiva Univ, NY) that has something to do with educatation (I believe it is Maths and Physics) and culture.
Old 26th May 2008, 12:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have had this changed in my Sony amp too, it seems this is cheap as the installer did it free of cost to me(as I was anyways paying him for speakers & cables) SO hsould not bea problem, others can advise better on place & price.
Old 26th May 2008, 22:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Secondly - how do you know that the MOSFET has failed? Yes it is quite possible but not necessary. My question is - how can you be sure?
i might know the technical aspects of this but let me just give u a peek into the problem im facing. the 60.4 has a pair of 4 gold screws to which i attach the speaker cable to. on the upper set of screws i have bridged the subwoofer while on the lower set reside the front components. now the LEFT front comp always turned on and off and on...whenever i increased the volume, it comes back to life. i inquired abt this with a couple of local accessory shops and they all told me that the "mosquito" is dead. at first i was a bit sceptical about my amplifier renting out space to a bunch of mosquitos to live but then the working side of my brain intervened and i realised that he must be referring to the MOSFETs.

now when i asked about the repair bills, teh mosquito guy tells me "Sir, yeh JBL-shey-BL ke amp imported maal hai. inko repair karne ka kharcha bhi imported hi hai. pata nahi uske level ka part milta bhi hai yaa kuch jugaaaad chalaana padta hai"
that line was enough for me to walk out of that store.

anybody can throw some light as to what i need to do now?
Old 26th May 2008, 23:56   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
now the LEFT front comp always turned on and off and on...whenever i increased the volume, it comes back to life.
this sounds like a leaky cap in the amp. any good technician should be able to diagnose and fix this. amp circuits are really not all that complicated. since it is only 1 channel that is malfunctioning one can use the voltages of the working channels to ascertain which part needs replacement.

Last edited by navin : 26th May 2008 at 23:57.
Old 27th May 2008, 00:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Change your RCA cables.
Old 27th May 2008, 01:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
this sounds like a leaky cap in the amp. any good technician should be able to diagnose and fix this. amp circuits are really not all that complicated. since it is only 1 channel that is malfunctioning one can use the voltages of the working channels to ascertain which part needs replacement.
Quote:
Change your RCA cables.
2 different suggestions.
Sam, how did u arrive on the faulty RCA cable situation?
Old 27th May 2008, 11:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
2 different suggestions.
Sam, how did u arrive on the faulty RCA cable situation?
2 different valid possibilities!

"Faulty RCA cable situation" means a loose connection can also show this behaviour. "whenever i increased the volume, it comes back to life" could be a coincidence - vibrations from the louder sound could be causing the connection to reconnect!
Old 27th May 2008, 11:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

question, when you pump up the volume and it comes back to life, does it play clean, or is there any distortion?
Old 27th May 2008, 11:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

It can be RCA or some dirt in the switches which is used for HPF, FLAT, LPF setting.

Try fiddle with them while playing and check for the sound.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks