Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 09:17   #1
nitin.dangayach

Need suggestions for a HU to be brought from the US

Hey folks !

I am looking out for a ICE for my Alto (buying in July, after I come back from the US).

I have been searching various forums, online stores for the best budget system but I guess my search will not end without your opinions.

Here are my requirements:

Head Unit (preferably around 160USD but I am open to increase the budget)
Must Have Features:
===============
1) Rear USB Support
2) Above average sound quality
3) Bigger screen to support maximum ID3 tag info
4) Will NOT be using any AMP. The HU should be able to drive 2 rear 6x9" rear coaxials and fron 4" components (not decided on the speakers yet)
5) Bluetooth is an added advantage. (I have SE W950i with A2DP but I a not sure of the sound quality in streaming so keeping it optional)

SUB 150$ range:
============

I think Pioneer DEH5000UB suits to my budget
Pioneer DEH-P5000UB In-Dash CD Receiver. Best Buy on Sale: Pioneer DEHP5000UB - Compare Prices, customer and user reviews, Features, Accessories, Specifications

I have some JVC right now and I like its sound too much so I wanted a JVC but could not find one in my price range.

Any other suggestions ?

Close to 200$ range:
================

I am primarily looking at
Pioneer DEH 700BT Pioneer DEH-P7900BT In-Dash CD/MP3/WMA/WAV/iTunes AAC Receiver. Best Buy on Sale: Pioneer DEHP7900BT - Compare Prices, customer and user reviews, Features, Accessories, Specifications
and
JVC KD-BT1
JVC KD-BT1 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Both HUs support all inbuilt BT.

* The prices shown are on the higher end. I am getting both the units at around 220USD, including shipping.

The Problem:
=========
I have set my total budget to around 400USD or 15-16000INR.
Also, I am planning to buy only the HU from the US and will search for the speakers at some store in Gurgaon (Although if you guys suggest I'll buy few from the US).

Now if i buy the cheaper HU, I can go for better speakers and might get a better SQ.

If I go for the other higher priced HUs, I'll get better functionality, X-Factor and probably better SQ as well since the higher end HUs are supposed to score better e.g. the JVC BT1 has Burr Brown DACs so I am little inclined on that.

I Need:
=====
I want you guys to help me with some advice on what HU and what speakers I should go for. The constraints are the same: Low budget, USB must and should fit in ALTO without any amp.

Waiting for the experts to pour in their thoughts.

Old 31st May 2008, 11:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Buying the HU from the US you run the risk of the FM tuning problem with US-specific HUs in India.

HUs with decent display and USB / iPod support cost INR 6-24K in India (USD 150-600). Pio, JVC, Kenwood, Blaupunkt, Sony, Alpine - all have suitable models.

On the other hand, it makes much more sense to pick up the speakers from US, AFTER auditioning them. 4" components are hard to come by in India other than Illusion Audio and a couple of others (which are eminently forgettable for one reason or the other).
Old 31st May 2008, 13:20   #3
nitin.dangayach

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Buying the HU from the US you run the risk of the FM tuning problem with US-specific HUs in India.
I dont use the FM much. The JVC models do support European Tuning so no issues.

Quote:
On the other hand, it makes much more sense to pick up the speakers from US, AFTER auditioning them.
Since I'll be buying the speakers online, I wont get the luxury to audition them.
Could you please specify the ones that can be bought without the fear of repenting later, of course online.

Quote:
4" components are hard to come by in India other than Illusion Audio and a couple of others (which are eminently forgettable for one reason or the other).
So how people add front speakers to ALTO ? I think the space provided in the dash is not more than 4".

I dont want to cut the doors.

PS: Can u, alternatively, suggest some speakers that will work well with all the headunits I listed ?

Actually I saw that the speakers are cheaper here in INDIA so I thought of buying them here. like the JBL GTOs.

Old 31st May 2008, 14:24   #4
BHPian

HU from USA

If you are keen on picking up a HU from the U.S. then you can check out the
CLARION DXZ-785USB CD/MP3/AAC USB/AUX CAR RADIO DXZ785USB
available on UGotADeal.com

it's going for a shade over 200USD including shipping. Sure, it's a bit difficult to tune, but boy is it sweet sounding or what. Way better than Pioneer i'd say and more VFM than Alpine or Eclipse.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks