Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 02:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

My First ICE DIY Install in my swift.

well as explained in the show off and sound off thread (linky below)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...tml#post875569

i shifted the amps to viva and got a JBL GTO 1004 the replacement for the mighty JBL GTO 75.4 from JBL.

well i have a lovely GSD at home and i had to have enough space for him in one of my cars so installing the amps behind the rear seat was not feasible so it had to be the boot in a manner that would leave enough space for my doggy.

first looking at the boot space in my swift it almost felt impossible to fit a amp of this size to one of the sides of the boot, but then i had strongly decided after having lived with GTO 75.4 i dint want an amp that was small than that, so i took the measurements and to my surprise the fit of the amp was EXACT! there was not an inch space extra than required for this amp, i mean just enough so that there is enough room for the air to circulate, one inch above and 1 and a half inch below, for the wires and air!

well this made me happy, well since this was a DIY and i had to source every thing i needed myself it was kind of tiresome to find the right things at right time.

Usually Plywood shops dont sell bits of boards the minimum size many shops asked me to buy was a 4feet by 4feet MDF board as i needed 18mm thick one. now after 4 days of search i finally came across a shop who luckily happend to have a 2 by 2feet board piece, i thanked my luck and bought it.

now the tough part, i needed
1.saw
2.few 1and half thick wooded pieces
3.suitable screws, flex pipe for wire in hood and tag locks
4.cloth for the board
5.SR GLUE from fevicol lots of it say i ended up spending 500grams of it (you will soon know why) and
6.POWER wire well this was finolex! 6 Sq mm X 4=24Sq mm. an length of 24meters in all.(all the other wires & cables were there from the previous install.)

apart from my regular tool kit and power drill i have at home.
now first i cut the board according to the measurements to fit it right in the space, i had tough time cutting it as i dint work on a piece of wood after my craft classes in school. I some how had to get the shape right and this was done with the smooth-filer. Now the board was ready.

well the side space in the boot was no flat surface so i had to drill a few holes and screw in a few wood pieces on, so that the board sits perpendicular to the boot. In this process i did a crazy thing by mistake i drilled the screw out of the car and it stuck right out in the wheel arch and i had to thank my luck again for the same it dint damage my tyre!
the picture of the same is posted below.

now i screwed on the mdf directly on to these wooden blocks(pieces) using the drill.

this was the bad and a amature thing to do, as i am inexperienced, i was first suppose to stick the cloth to the board then screw it on, but it happened other way. and damn i dint have the chance to take any pictures which struck me right then, removing the board and refixing it may leave it loose so i just went with out the pics.

now i pasted the cloth on to the MDF. now DAY 1 was UP!

DAY 2:

well the boot comes with a stock board on the spare wheel and this covered the entire boot, so i had to carefully remove the fabric on it and reduce the lenght of the board, the right most part by say 3 inches, so that there is enough space for the moment of the board, air to circulate and wires to stay put! This is the part where i had to use all that glue to stick back all the fabric on to the board.

now i folded the 24 meter long wire into four, and laid it from the battery to the boot removing all the plastic pannels along the car's floor and finally got it to the boot. Now this was the time i started thinking about the fuse box's location, i dint want to leave it in the hood so i decided to put it in the boot and i put it right next to the amp with only say 1-2inch of space away from amp i know this is not safe, but i will soon find a suitable location for it.

now it was noon, i just hit my sofa and sat in front of the idiot box for a while and then went back on the job, now i started to draw the front speaker wires and RCA Cables all the way back to the boot, and fixed them all on to the amp,(i have noticed and have been told from many installs that the power wire should run from the opposite side of the car's floor and the RCAs and speaker wires should run in the other to avoid distortion and i promptly followed that.), For grounding i had to use the local 4guage as they call X 2 wires to get the thickness to ground the amp! now i started the engine and tested the amp and made the settings on the amp. NOW THIS WAS MY MOMENT OF JOY VOILA SWEET MUSIC!

Now i turned off the HU and screwed the amp on the board and it was DONE!cheers:

well i had a PIO TS-W307D2 sub which in series setting would suit the amp but then i had enough of it and had got a JBL CS 1204 in a ported box.

as per the rear fills they were Pioneer 4way 6"X9" put up on a MDF board and powered through the HU. i got that done way back as there was like say 2 months gap before i got this amp for the swift.

GUYS please dont curse me for i dont have many pics available of the install. AFTER ALL this is my first ICE DIY!

here is what i have now i will post more later on if possible.
please let the thoughts flow.
Attached Thumbnails
My First ICE DIY Install in my swift.-dsc01362.jpg  

My First ICE DIY Install in my swift.-dsc01363.jpg  

My First ICE DIY Install in my swift.-dsc01401.jpg  

My First ICE DIY Install in my swift.-dsc01402.jpg  

My First ICE DIY Install in my swift.-dsc01403.jpg  

My First ICE DIY Install in my swift.-dsc01405.jpg  

My First ICE DIY Install in my swift.-dsc01409.jpg  

Last edited by rider60 : 27th June 2008 at 02:19.
Old 27th June 2008, 02:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

forgot just this one pic and they are my tools that made all this possible.

EDIT: P.S. pardon me for such a long explanation on the same i know i am too expressive with things that i am too excited about, so just bare with me guys will make it short next time, and thats the sole reason i posted this photo in the next post. mods please pardon me for the same.
Attached Thumbnails
My First ICE DIY Install in my swift.-copy-dsc01439.jpg  

Last edited by rider60 : 27th June 2008 at 02:22.
Old 27th June 2008, 09:58   #3
BHPian

Nice Work! How much did the drill cost? Where did you but it? I am also looking for one.
Old 27th June 2008, 10:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow impressive work rider60. Now About the hole shouldn't you seal it or something otherwise water might go in ?
Old 27th June 2008, 13:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice work mate. Now i know from whom i can borrow a drill. Thats a bosch drill. Good one. money well spent. That woofer grill looks like an alloy wheel. This is good inspiration.
Old 27th June 2008, 14:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic, @rider60, you have done FAR better than all the installers that people have regrettable experiences with.

Keep up the good work, buddy! Don't worry about keeping it short - express yourself as it comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
... so just bare with me guys ...
Are you sure? Most city-dwellers in India will have a problem with that concept!
Old 27th June 2008, 16:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst4torque View Post
Nice Work! How much did the drill cost? Where did you but it? I am also looking for one.

thankyou, we i like in a pretty old bungalow so small fixtures here and there are inevitable for us at home so i have a lot of tools at home and its kind of a good time pass when you are bored, to use these tools, and comes real handy when i need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Wow impressive work rider60. Now About the hole shouldn't you seal it or something otherwise water might go in ?
thank you, cool dude. Well the M-Seal Wet set is going to be stuck there in a day or two, after a i spray a lilttle paint for it to not rust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Fantastic, @rider60, you have done FAR better than all the installers that people have regrettable experiences with.

Keep up the good work, buddy! Don't worry about keeping it short - express yourself as it comes.

Are you sure? Most city-dwellers in India will have a problem with that concept!

thankyou Deralte, i am really really happy with your compliments, you were the first on the other thread too to compliment me, well thanks a ton that first compliment of someone reading and noticing the big post meant a lot!

okay next time the statements such as those wont spring up okay.
CHOW guys.
Old 27th June 2008, 16:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Nice work mate. Now i know from whom i can borrow a drill. Thats a bosch drill. Good one. money well spent. That woofer grill looks like an alloy wheel. This is good inspiration.
sorry some how the multi quote left you out, well yes that a basic bosch drill i could find in the ranigunj market it say 1800bucks it was like 3 years back that i picked that drill, after my previous local one gave way, thanks for the compliments!

EDIT:forgot to add that woofer grill is from POLK-MOMO series or just polk!

Last edited by rider60 : 27th June 2008 at 16:20.
Old 27th June 2008, 16:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

buddy, excellent work!!!!
You know, I am not the ICE type of guy but I definitely can say very good work. (is that rocking guy inspired you to do the DIY thingy??)

That enclosure!!!! you made it at home!!! wow!
Old 27th June 2008, 16:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
You know, I am not the ICE type of guy but I definitely can say very good work. (is that rocking guy inspired you to do the DIY thingy??)

no not the eclosure, i just fixed the amp! that is all!
Old 27th June 2008, 17:16   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post

Who is this mysterious guy?

Boss, Absolutely fantastic job. As kutlee said, the grill looks like a nice alloy wheel design? Can i use it for my car?

Jokes apart, good job again and i know whom to contact for any changes to my set-up. As you know about my impending ICE upgrades, it will happen with the new DIY kid in town
Old 27th June 2008, 17:23   #12
Team-BHP Support

Hope you have corrected the screw jutting out in the wheel well, it can harm your tyre (if under complete suspension travel, tyre hits it) and also someones hands while washing or working on the car.
Old 27th June 2008, 18:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hope you have corrected the screw jutting out in the wheel well, it can harm your tyre (if under complete suspension travel, tyre hits it) and also someones hands while washing or working on the car.

it stuck out and i hammered it down, now the m-seal part alone is pending i did correct it, thankyou for reminding again jagguji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Who is this mysterious guy?

Boss, Absolutely fantastic job. As kutlee said, the grill looks like a nice alloy wheel design? Can i use it for my car?

Jokes apart, good job again and i know whom to contact for any changes to my set-up. As you know about my impending ICE upgrades, it will happen with the new DIY kid in town

thanks for the compliments mobike, are you serious are you still gonna get the ice upgrades done?

well if so i will be happy to help!
Old 27th June 2008, 18:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Please get rid of the Tapes on the wire and use Cable-ties that will make the setup looks nice and tidy very nice DIY cheers

Ramie
Old 27th June 2008, 19:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Please get rid of the Tapes on the wire and use Cable-ties that will make the setup looks nice and tidy very nice DIY cheers

Ramie

well yes i need to find some time to do that i ran out of of tags after having used them for the yellow power cable of 6meter length and used tape at the moment! will do that soon and click some more snaps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks