Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 10:03   #1
BHPian

second stage upgrade in illusioned swift

Hey guys ,
good to be back on Team-bhp after such a long time . As is the norm of team-bhp i am into my second phase of an ICE upgrade. I have already installed the Illusion EL 6.1 in my swift . Iam powering them off a JBL 2 CH amp.I am really happy with the sound. But i have a sony HU so sub opitmal sound reproduction is expected. Also i have 2 JBL CS series round speakers in the rear door stock locations . My doubts are :

a ) Will changing from round to JBl 6x9 ovals improve the bass and provide rear fill ?
b) Should i change my sony HU ? I want to go in for pioneer . I need USB connectivity . what is the cost of the 3050/4050/5050 currently ?
c) I can barely hear the rear JBL's after i have installed my compos upfront.The person who installed my Illusion's told me that my HU has only one pre out and thats the reason i cant hear them .Is that true ???? I thought my sony had 3 preouts. It has sub woofer settings . If I change the sub settings , there is a change in the sound output from the front compos. Has he inadvertently connected the sub out to the front compos ? Why cant i get the rear output at all even when the settings are set to 0 .

Do help me out guys ..... really need to get my setup fine tuned and uostaged. I'd be gld to setup an audition with anyone in SOBO .
Old 7th July 2008, 11:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandolf_thewise View Post
I have already installed the Illusion EL 6.1 in my swift..JBL 2 CH amp.
2 JBL CS series round speakers in the rear door stock locations

a ) Will changing from round to JBl 6x9 ovals
b) I need USB connectivity . what is the cost of the 3050/4050/5050 currently ?
c) I can barely hear the rear JBL's after i have installed my compos upfront.The person who installed my Illusion's told me that my HU has only one pre out and thats the reason i cant hear them .Is that true ???? I thought my sony had 3 preouts. It has sub woofer settings . If I change the sub settings , there is a change in the sound output from the front compos. Has he inadvertently connected the sub out to the front compos ? Why cant i get the rear output at all even when the settings are set to 0 .

I'd be gld to setup an audition with anyone in SOBO .
In SOBO the person to contact is Bhagwan. PM him.

1. you cannot fit 6x9 in the doors of a swift
2. why do you want to hear the rear door speakers in the front. those speakers are meant for the people in the rear seat to hear
3.if your front components are connected to a sub out you'd only hear bass. maybe when the sub out is engaged the HU automatically reduces the ammount of bass going to the front components. what is the nature of the change in sound in the front components?
Old 7th July 2008, 12:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandolf_thewise View Post
b) Should i change my sony HU ? I want to go in for pioneer . I need USB connectivity . what is the cost of the 3050/4050/5050 currently ?

Do help me out guys ..... really need to get my setup fine tuned and uostaged. I'd be gld to setup an audition with anyone in SOBO .
Hi, I too had a sony setup to start with but then switched to Pioneer 5050 believe me the difference is easily perceivable. So if your budget allows u to change the HU, change it to Pio 5050 i got it for 6500 bucks some 5 months back!!
Old 7th July 2008, 14:23   #4
BHPian

Hey Navin Ji ,
Thanks for a prompt reply. I was looking to put in rear 6x9 on a parcel shelf for rear bass fill. The change in sound on changing the sub out settings are an increase in bass distortion ( not as tight ) from the speakers. Is it possible that he may not have connected the rear speakers at all. I dont intend to hear the rear speakers upfront but i was looking for some rear fill .
Sounds empty ... !!!
Old 7th July 2008, 17:56   #5
BHPian

Hi Gandolf,
What is the model number of your Sony HU? This will tell us how many pre-outs are there for it. It is most likely that it has only one pre-out and that was used to power comps as comps are powered with an amp. If your budget permits, change that HU and go for a better one with proper 3 pre-outs.

I assume you are powering the comps with an amp and rear co-axs from HU. I have used the technique which gurus suggested me here (DerAlte). Make all your eq settings in your HU flat. Fader / balance should be 0 (driving all channels equally). Set the gains of all your amps to zero. Now play some music. Your rears only will play now (front comps-amp and sub-amp will have no output as gains are at 0). Turn the vol control to a decent audible level. Now, slowly increase the gain of the amp which is powering comps. Set the gain where your compos sound good enough / slightly over power the rears according to your taste, where you get the front sound stage well, but rear fill as well. Now turn the gain of your sub-amp (if you have one - can follow this when you add this later) so that bass is mixed up well. Finally, play with eq/fader as you need. Hope this helps (thanks a lot to TBHP and gurus for this wonderful procedure)

Last edited by redfire : 7th July 2008 at 18:05.

Most Viewed