Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 12:58   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Ok sir, agreed. But if only one channel is connected to drive the sub as advised. I should not theoretically fry the HU!
no you wont but your sub will not be used fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Personally, I've never had issues driving speakers with underpowered amps[Driven or Elegant for this installation
actually this is more true forspeaker systems involving tweeters. an amp that clips will produce a lot of HF energy (square wave) and this energy will damage the tweeter.

Last edited by navin : 8th July 2008 at 13:00.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:04   #32
BHPian

I am not a guru but have experienced this, even with well matched amps/speakers. A good quality amp though underpowered may play OK if you are very carefull with volume control. Gradually increasing the volume level and setting it to a moderate level before clipping may work and the setup may run for short/long according to the quality of components. But things will go kaput when a sudden volume level increase/something like that occurs. Last week I had to change two fuses in my home amp (100W RMS @ 8 ohms connected to matching speakers) because of my son who turned the volume control to 80% and I switched on the amp without noticing this. But I have turned the volume to 80% gradually without any problem (even he used to do it, then will get frightened by the volume/punch, cry and run to his mom ).
Old 8th July 2008, 13:30   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
But things will go kaput when a sudden volume level increase/something like that occurs.
What you are experiencing is a blown fuse (atleast that is what should happen) not a blown amp.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:39   #34
BHPian

Yes Navin Ji, luckily I faced only a blown fuse. But as a whole, the equipment is blown and not playing (in layman's view) and it could be some other components if not fuse next time. Hope it never happens.
Old 8th July 2008, 14:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Separate SUB output

In my Sony HU I can see there are 4 channel normal output plus one sub output. In settings, I can see in the SUB setup that can be set in dB from 0 dB to 10 dB.

What, if I try to connect SUB without amplifier in dedicated SUB output of HU ?

If it is not recomended, then why Sony has provided separate SUB output in HU?
Old 8th July 2008, 14:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Must have been a Fast-blow fuse (thin copper wire). Replace it with a Slow-blow fuse of the same rating. This will not blow on a surge current, yet protect the amp in continuous overload conditions, like lower than designed speaker impedance etc. This used to be a common problem with old CRT TVs - surge current while switching on (early Sunday morning auntie-ji comes running: "Beta, jaldi se kuchh kar de, Mahabharat / Ramayan miss ho jayega").

Your "rotating the knob in a flick" will do the same: produce a surge current. This will, as Navin explained, only blow the fuse by not fry the amp.
Old 8th July 2008, 14:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

[A bit OT ] just a doubt. What if the amp had to reproduce a transient of the same magnitude ? will the fuse blow then also ?
Old 8th July 2008, 18:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Depends on magnitude and duration of transient! The fuse blowing characteristic is a time-current relationship, so higher the current for a short duration, the faster it will blow.
Old 9th July 2008, 00:10   #39

Quote:
yup, that was one way to get surround out of a 2 channel amp in the ye olde days. however , to get the difference signal, you need to connect the + and - of the speakers to either both the +'s of the amp, or both the -'s.

a good idea would be to connect the Right surround speakers + to the left channel +, and the speakers - to the right channel +
the Left surround's + can be connected to the left channel's - , and the speakers - to the right channel's minus ( I'm not entirely sure about the polarities, but i think this should work) And since equal currents will be drawn from all terminals , it should balance everything out .

in a car HU, the amp's ground (0V) terminals are not acessible , only the + and - are ....

Connecting a speakers to both the +'s or both the -'s should not be an issue , since there wont be a lot of current flowing , only the difference.

I only objected to shorting the + and - of the HU. everything else is fine
PS: I didnt get the ridicule bit. Have we ridiculed anyone ?

a bad automotive analogy would be to claim that if you drive around with your handbrake on , the tyres wont be damaged because you are driving slowly or because the engine is underpowered.

no matter how little current you supply, a shorted output is a shorted output ,and will eventually fry your IC's
Thanks for the green signal.
and the ridicule was not for you but for those who try to make the blog more interesting.
Old 9th July 2008, 00:51   #40

Hmm, An Indigo One ton transport vehicle then a Sub with no Amp.
Someones really into destructive testing. But if it works - What the heck?!
Way to go Vikram. BTW I no see ,one Nitrous on this thread. How come? I thought you to go hand in hand in all threads. Fighting....
Old 9th July 2008, 08:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godseed1670 View Post
Way to go Vikram. BTW I no see ,one Nitrous on this thread. How come? I thought you to go hand in hand in all threads. Fighting....
OT: Sir, thank you for actually coming online and browsing through the forum. You have improved!

BTW, what is destructive testing?

I am just exploring the limits! Thanks to you know who!
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:36   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
In my Sony HU I can see there are 4 channel normal output plus one sub output. In settings, I can see in the SUB setup that can be set in dB from 0 dB to 10 dB.

What, if I try to connect SUB without amplifier in dedicated SUB output of HU ?

If it is not recomended, then why Sony has provided separate SUB output in HU?
+1 i also have a similar output on my 7950.. What that output for?
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godseed1670 View Post
haa! godseed, how is the seeding season this year ? Need any help to lug around your seeds, you know who to call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
OT: Sir, thank you for actually coming online and browsing through the forum. You have improved!

BTW, what is destructive testing?

I am just exploring the limits! Thanks to you know who!
Is there any limits left to explore ?

Sorry for going offtopic.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 23rd July 2008 at 17:41.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpik View Post
+1 i also have a similar output on my 7950.. What that output for?
to drive subs , maybe smaller ones. and definitely not in bridged mode
Old 23rd July 2008, 19:06   #45
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
to drive subs , maybe smaller ones. and definitely not in bridged mode
Smaller subs ?

Any examples ? Can I hook in my creative PC sub ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks