Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 21:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Remote Control for the HU of Honda CRV 2.0

Hi Gurus,

I have a Honda CRV 2.0 and it has a decent HU (MP3/WMA/AUX in). I dont want to change/swap it currently.

The controls(volume/channel) are also provided in the steering wheel and no remote control is provided.

However, my father sits in the rear seat and he wants the control to be accessible by him.

Is there any way I can get a remote control for this HU? If not, is it possible to run some kind of parallel connection of the controls in the steering wheel to the rear seats?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

What is the make / model of this HU? If it is not indicated on the HU, maybe the Honda service guys will be able to tell you.

If there is no provision for Infra-red in this HU, then you are out of luck. Some OE HUs have a wired remote provision, which can be mounted on the steering wheel.
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What is the make / model of this HU? If it is not indicated on the HU, maybe the Honda service guys will be able to tell you.

If there is no provision for Infra-red in this HU, then you are out of luck. Some OE HUs have a wired remote provision, which can be mounted on the steering wheel.
Thanks for the reply.

This HU does have a wired remote, which integrates into the steering wheel.

Picture below illustrates the current position.

Remote Control for the HU of Honda CRV 2.0-crvsteering.jpg

Can I get a parallel connection of this integrated remote in the back seat somehow?

Last edited by AbhiJ : 22nd July 2008 at 15:06.
Old 22nd July 2008, 21:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

SInce it is only a set of switches, it is possible to create a parallel unit. Not easy, but can be done.

If you search on the net (or if you very politely ask the Honda Service guys), you might find the connector or wiring diagram of the CR-V HU. Any decent electronics technician can take a PCB and wire a set of switches on that, and lead a set of wires out which can be wired in parallel with the steering remote.
Old 24th July 2008, 20:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SInce it is only a set of switches, it is possible to create a parallel unit. Not easy, but can be done.
Great idea...
Is there a website where I can buy the original steering remote assembly?

I ll just create a parallel connection of the same and it should work if installed in the back seat.. Right?
Old 24th July 2008, 20:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any decent electronics technician can take a PCB and wire a set of switches on that, and lead a set of wires out which can be wired in parallel with the steering remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Great idea...
I ll just create a parallel connection of the same and it should work if installed in the back seat.. Right?
I'm sorry I don't think thats how it works. Please research this further before you try it.

IIRC, the buttons on the steering go through a multiplexing circuit that converts the button states into data and this is hardwired through the steering shaft. Its been a while since I researched this so please do your own homework.
Old 24th July 2008, 21:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I'm sorry I don't think thats how it works. Please research this further before you try it.
Thanks for the warning dude..

Any other (safer) ideas? Something like the IR remote that you did in the CRV install?

Last edited by AbhiJ : 24th July 2008 at 21:08.
Old 24th July 2008, 22:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I'm sorry I don't think thats how it works. Please research this further before you try it. ...
I agree, Gunbir, that's why I said "check with the HU manual first".

3 wires are expected to be wired: 12V to remote, GND and the Remote 'data'. It is the definition of the 'data' wire that one has to search for. Used to be a resistor-based affair in my days. Different voltage ranges correspond to different keys. Cheap and besht - no active circuits. Service guys should be able to help out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks