Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 23:28   #16

Thanks for all the concern guys. i met gunbir sir today and he said there was nothing wrong with the wiring. just that the fader wasn't working cause the alpine head unit i am using has only single pre out .

GURUS pls help me out with one more thing , i got my system tuned by Gunbir sir today and after that i told him that i am not really satisfied with the sound so he suggested me to go in for the subwoofer (BULL) . I spoke to a friend of mine who told me that after installing a subwoofer my car willl start giving out all sorts of rattling sounds from the doors,windows,boot etc because of the major vibrations that will be produced by the woofer.
I am confused as to i am looking for quality sound with a descent thump at mid range volume. Should i go in for a subwoofer or should i upgrade to some other quality brand speakers installed at the back.If you suggest speakers then which one and how much will they cost me . One more thing i am not in a mood to cut the rear tray of the car and the slots provided are for 6" speakers.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th August 2008 at 01:40. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 9th August 2008, 01:29   #17
BANNED

After reading all your requirements, I think you should've come here before you got all these things installed. Atleast, we should've extended you budget to some good levels. LOL!

The speakers you've got now are pretty decent. Many people are satisfied with their signature JBL sound. Rarely, there're some who needs MORE depth and emphasise on the mids and midbass. For them, a bit more hatke stuff is necessary. If you like stronger mids, I would suggest you to have a look at Rainbow speaker range (imported by Gunbir) and Illusion audio (imported by Bass&Trouble). You can also audition the Bull audio components which is a very good VFM product.

But before all this, the major thing in your install is that you have 6.5" speakers all around which will overall reduce bass and low end response. It's very much recommended to get a sub or atleast 6x9s (if you're not getting the sub) in your setup to solve that. Now as Gunbir suggested, it is better to go for a sub because you don't have to change anything from your current setup nor drill your parcel tray.
As Gunbir is representing Bull audio also, it is normal that he would recommend you to get one of those. And frankly, I think you should take that advice because the product itself is worth lot more than what it costs.
Don't worry about the rattling part, that's nothing of a major issue unless you decide to wake up the neighbourhood with your setup. For personal listening, it's going to be fine with some small damping tricks.

But, your HU has only 1 pre out. Even then I suspect there was a wiring issue earlier. Anyway, that's sorted now.
When you get the sub, you'll have to use Gunbir's advice in wiring it. I dunno if using the high power inputs are good or the Y splitter RCAs. You'll need some option of either.

Update us of your progress.
Old 9th August 2008, 01:40   #18

thanks for the reply speedzak. So you suggest that i go in for the sub. One more thing speezak if i change my headunit cause i dnt really have to pay anything extra for that as the money which ill get by selling of my alpine system will compensate for it,then should i go in for the kenwood headunit or pioneer head unit i have heard both of them are good but Mr rana told me that pioneer head unit dont really last long and pls mention the model and the price ...i am looking for a head unit in the range of 5k-6k
Old 9th August 2008, 04:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant.mi View Post
Thanks for all the concern guys. i met gunbir sir today and he said there was nothing wrong with the wiring. just that the fader wasn't working cause the alpine head unit i am using has only single pre out .
Let me explain what was wrong. The problem with Pramod (DRIVEN's senior installer) is that after dark, his sight goes for a toss like Kadar Khan in one of those Govinda flicks, lol. Since the HU is a single preout, what pramod had done is use two Y splitters. Instead of plugging them in properly, he plugged in LEFT to front and RIGHT to rear. Anyways, the 8401 doesnt need splitters in the first place as it has input mapping. You just have to flick a switch (from A&B input to A input) and its done internally. Gains for the front were fine. Gains for the rear were reduced from the amp to give a front centric stage by the installer. I centered this as well so Nishant can have more loudness. Filters were all OFF on the amp, so I left them like that.

Nishant, in the hurry I don't remember checking your HU's HPF. Please disable it (if enabled).

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
But before all this, the major thing in your install is that you have 6.5" speakers all around which will overall reduce bass and low end response. It's very much recommended to get a sub or atleast 6x9s (if you're not getting the sub) in your setup to solve that. Now as Gunbir suggested, it is better to go for a sub because you don't have to change anything from your current setup nor drill your parcel tray.
As Gunbir is representing Bull audio also, it is normal that he would recommend you to get one of those. And frankly, I think you should take that advice because the product itself is worth lot more than what it costs.
Don't worry about the rattling part, that's nothing of a major issue unless you decide to wake up the neighbourhood with your setup. For personal listening, it's going to be fine with some small damping tricks.
Exactly! No point in upgrading to 6x9s especially since he doesn't want to cut/mod anything. And there is no true replacement for sub bass. His rears can be powered off the HU (thus giving the missing fader control too). And a budget sub can be powered from the amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant.mi View Post
thanks for the reply speedzak. So you suggest that i go in for the sub. One more thing speezak if i change my headunit cause i dnt really have to pay anything extra for that as the money which ill get by selling of my alpine system will compensate for it,then should i go in for the kenwood headunit or pioneer head unit i have heard both of them are good but Mr rana told me that pioneer head unit dont really last long and pls mention the model and the price ...i am looking for a head unit in the range of 5k-6k
Nishant, Alpine has a sound that some people like, but its different from Pioneer. Pioneer has a more emphasized sound that may be more in line with what you may be expecting.

Rana will of course push Kenwood as he is a dealer: makes more margin, gets better service (as opposed to gray) and support. I suggest you audition Pioneer, Kenwood etc in your car & compare with your present HU and choose the one that sounds best to you. I'm sure Rana will accommodate this request. Thankfully he is quite chilled out about such stuff.

Cheers!
Old 9th August 2008, 10:44   #20

Thanks a lot Gunbir Sir , I guess your reply clears everything out just one more thing i am worried abt my car giving rattling sounds after i install the Subwoofer due vibrations. Is that true please throw some light on this .
Old 9th August 2008, 11:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

If you want to put a subwoofer, it is recommended that you get some damping done. During the process of applying the damping material, all loose wires, connectors, cables, number plate etc. which are the major cause of rattle, are stayed down. Damping stops the self-resonance of panels either by vibrations through the chassis or the low-frequency sound of from the mid-bass & sub. When vibrating, the door pad also rattles near the edges if not damped well.
Old 9th August 2008, 23:21   #22

Ok guys so i met LBM today and it was nice meeting him ,he gave me a patient hearing .LBM suggested me that i go in for an entry level subwoofer (Like JBL gt5,275 W RMS) as i am tight on budget and i am looking for a quality midrange sound , moreover he told me that if i go in for anything on the higher side such as (BULL , 400 W RMS) ill need a separate mono amp to completely drive the amp. He also asked me to remove my rear speakers as it hardly contributes to any sound and instead that space could let the bass inside the cabin.
Old 10th August 2008, 16:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

I like the GT4-12 better than the GT-5, But listen to both of them before buying.
Old 10th August 2008, 16:50   #24
BHPian

me seconds that too
i dunno "old is gold with reagurd to some stuff"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks