Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2008, 12:40   #1

pls help in selecting sub & HU

Hi Gurus
1.I was planning to upgrade my HU to a pioneer head unit.I am a little tight on my budget .friends have suggested me to go in for Pio 5050 but i could not find any difference between the 4050 and 5050 moreover 4050 is about 1.5 grands cheaper than 5050.

2. I have a kenwood 8401 (4 channel amp) and i am a little confused between the subwoofer i should go in for.
I have considered the following

> jbl gt4 or gt5 , 275 w rms(if there is anything else then let me know )
> Bull audio ( 400 w rms)

Gurus i want to know wether my amp will be able to drive bull audio or not since it is 400 w rms.

Can you pls throw some light on these technical issues regarding the amp and the sub aswell

My amp has the following config. what does all this mean

a) 60W x 4 at 4 ohms (4 channel mode)
b) 90W x 4 at 2 ohms
c) 180W x 2 at bridged 4 ohms
d) single coil sub vs double coil sub

now can i drive the bull audio subs ???? or should i go for jbl pls help!!!!
Old 18th August 2008, 13:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant.mi View Post
2. I have a kenwood 8401 (4 channel amp) and i am a little confused between the subwoofer i should go in for.
Gurus i want to know wether my amp will be able to drive bull audio or not since it is 400 w rms.
a) 60W x 4 at 4 ohms (4 channel mode)
b) 90W x 4 at 2 ohms
c) 180W x 2 at bridged 4 ohms
d) single coil sub vs double coil sub
Given your contraints I would select the sub with the highest BL/Mms ratio. Sensitivity numbers are often juiced (like PMPO) so you can only use them a rough guide and not an absolute reference.

Now an aside on most 4 ch. amps like the Kenwood, Blau GT4, JBL 60.4, etc... these 4 ch amps were designed to drive 4 component/coax speakers. They are not really designed to drive a sub but can go a pretty good job in a pinch especially with smaller 8" or 10" subs.

If one wants to drive a sub by bridging 2 channels of a 2/4/5/6 ch amp one should go for an amp that is stable to 2 ohms in bridged mode. A subwoofer voice coil has a resonably high inductance. It is not easy to drive such a voice coil with control.
Old 18th August 2008, 14:45   #3

Navin sir after reading your reply i cant still figure out which sub should i go in for can you please be more specific
Old 18th August 2008, 14:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

JBL ratings are accurate.. this much I can confirm. Its better to sell off your kenwood amp as its an ABSOLUTE waste of money. get yourself something better.

Last edited by panky12345 : 18th August 2008 at 14:56.
Old 18th August 2008, 15:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a kenwood 8401 (4 channel amp) and i am a little confused between the subwoofer i should go in for.
Nishant, your kenwood amp will easily power the subs you have mentioned to moderately loud levels. It is a great amp for the money despite what some may say. I am sure you will find the bass levels more than satisfactory. Since your amp is already installed, get an audition in your car before you choose which sub to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
JBL ratings are accurate.. this much I can confirm. Its better to sell off your kenwood amp as its an ABSOLUTE waste of money. get yourself something better.
As usual I will ask you to elaborate with some facts, numbers, data, reviews. And you will reply "It's my opinion, I'm entitled to one" which is fine except you never actually tell us WHY it's an ABSOLUTE waste.
Old 18th August 2008, 15:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May i know how can you confirm that they r accurate and kenwood amps are not correct ?

@nishant also look out for a JBL sub CS1204 or GT4-12. These are better subs than JBL GT-5 anyday. Have used all the three.

I don't have any experience with BULL sub but it might be good considering their components are good.

You cannot use a DVC sub if you are going to power speakers too though amp. But if you plan to use the amp just to power the sub them you can use 2 subs or a DVC sub.

I know someone who is using 2 x 8401. One is being used to power speakers and other one to power DVC sub (both coils)
Old 18th August 2008, 15:28   #7
BHPian

I personally find JBLs to be lil boomy (this is my personal review). Have heard GZ, Balu, Pio, Hertz, ID and found ID to be the best but then its little expensive. SInce you already have the Amp installed get a few subs installed and then choose the one that matches your taste.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navin sir after reading your reply i cant still figure out which sub should i go in for can you please be more specific
@nishant.mi, Navin was asking you to compare specific properties out of the T-S (Thiele Small) parameters of the subs you are comparing to choose the right one.

JBL T-S parameters are available on the net. So must be Bull's. Compare the BL/MMS ratios of each.

This is half the story (the mathematical half) - the other half is listening to the actual subs before picking one. You should audition with the same music and check whose response you like best.

Last edited by DerAlte : 18th August 2008 at 16:09.
Old 18th August 2008, 18:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
As usual I will ask you to elaborate with some facts, numbers, data, reviews..
this is your job sir as you're professionally inclined! I do not use modern high tech softwares to rate the db levels nor i operate the equipment and relate it with physics.

i use my ears to judge, and not reviews, facts, figures etc. i recommend whatever my ears like.

having listened to kenwood amp, i can say that its a waste (to me). if someone else wants to benefit from this experience, let him.
Old 18th August 2008, 18:20   #10
BHPian

My friend is running BULL ESW 12 with the kenwood 8401,works great
Quote:
and buy what? And why do find this amp bad? what did you audition it on? its just bad because its kenwood?

Last edited by noidaboy : 18th August 2008 at 18:26.
Old 18th August 2008, 18:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
My friend is running BULL ESW 12 with the kenwood 8401,works great
try 8401 with volfenhag or a chandni chowk sub, it'll work better. i'm serious.
Old 18th August 2008, 18:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
try 8401 with volfenhag or a chandni chowk sub, it'll work better. i'm serious.
Im convinced with the 8401's performance for the price,its you who needs to try around things,waiting for a review
Old 18th August 2008, 19:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand Why people harp about old stock Kenwood 8401 when the JBL GT5-A604 sub comes for around 5k ,brand new?
I think even the Pioneer 6300F comes for around that much too.
Old 18th August 2008, 20:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i use my ears to judge, and not reviews, facts, figures etc. i recommend whatever my ears like.
Sir, you are entitled to recommend whatever your ears like. Unfortunately, you don't recommend much but you definitely bash a certain brand / product every time it's name crops up in discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I don't understand Why people harp about old stock Kenwood 8401 when the JBL GT5-A604 sub comes for around 5k ,brand new?
Simple. It's a matter of taste nitrous anna. Some people find the JBL a bit bright or brash. They like the more subdued Kenwood. By the same measure, the people who like the JBL sound don't like the 'dull' Kenwood. Eventually to each his own.

Last edited by gunbir : 18th August 2008 at 20:10.
Old 18th August 2008, 20:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

and then there are those who think JBL is too dull and buy polk

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks