Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 21:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Farad Capacitors leading to trouble (bomb threat)

I was at Kakde Magnum mall in Pune where there is checking of each and every car that goes in the parking lot. they check the boot too.

As soon as the security guy opened the boot of the ford icon in front of me, he started shouting and raised and alarm and all the security personnel gathered at the spot.

The poor guy had 2 capacitors installed which had digital blue color voltage indicator on that. the security personnel mistook it for a bomb with a timer on it.

we both explained that it was a part of music system but yet they were not ready to agree and also started suspecting me. even 2 policemen reached the spot.

we switched the car off and then the capacitors switched down. we showed a good demo to all people how they act. one capacitor was of the brand sansui...other i dont know

god forbid if this confusion gets worse you will surely land in the jail.
Old 26th August 2008, 21:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Something like this happened here in Chennai as well too long before any bomb threats. Heard from an installer that one of his clients ordered one online and had it shipped here but in customs they suspected that it was a bomb and drilled three holes in it :(
Old 26th August 2008, 21:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

LOL. man thats hilarious. What if they find the 'fake' hand i carry around in my car ? They will take me in for murder i think LOL.

Last edited by abhibh : 26th August 2008 at 21:44.
Old 26th August 2008, 21:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

This checking is routine in my car daily whenever I enter the office building. But mistaking capacitors for Bombs is utter stupidity. Hope the security and the policemen has got the music their earful.
Old 26th August 2008, 22:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
LOL. man thats hilarious. What if they find the 'fake' hand i carry around in my car ? They will take me in for murder i think LOL.
I was 15 (1978) and was asked to carry a skeleton to the US for my aunt. Imagine my plight when a bunch of German policemen appeared while I was waiting for my plane at Frankfurt airport.

Guys please remember this was at the height of the popularity of the Bader Meinhof gang and the Red Army Faction.

Last edited by navin : 26th August 2008 at 22:31.
Old 26th August 2008, 22:36   #6
BHPian

Have the capacitors insured and show them a copy of the individual notation of the insurance coverage of the caps.

This is growing absurd day by day. Today in the papers it was reported that if any one plays music in Mumbai the traffic top cops will fine 500/- for the offence.

Makes me think of the wisdom of the old age gujarati saying "_____ ni akkal guthna maa"
Old 26th August 2008, 22:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

I've faced the same situation, but not for caps. My active bass tube is often mistaken for something offensive(which it is, to the ears!!). Till date, thankfully a demo has been enough to send the cops/security guys away.
Old 26th August 2008, 23:08   #8
BANNED

It's become a routine for me now.
I am known to raise a nerve or 2 of all the security guys whenever I drive into any shopping mall/public places. That too, without any farads and microfarads. Lol.

Lack of proper training and technicality. A uniform alone can't transform a dumbo into a security guard.
Old 26th August 2008, 23:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

actually i dont blame the security people for this. its quite obvious that they are seeing the capacitors for the first time that too with a timer kind of stuff on it.

it really resembles a bomb. i think its better to keep some bills of music system or something similar.
Old 27th August 2008, 00:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Lack of proper training and technicality. A uniform alone can't transform a dumbo into a security guard.
Security guards are trained in being vigilant and not trained in electrical engineering courses. A bomb can be made to look like a capacitor, a pen, a plastic bag, a milk container, a food container or even a BELT. All of these were really used to kill people in India. Yes, there were pen guns confiscated from Kashmir, so the Army now checks for pens as well... are we gonna call them dumb? It is perfectly understandable that the security got alarmed seeing LED's and tubes in the engine/trunk of a car. No one takes a chance with what could possibly be a bomb. In this case, I bet even the security was glad to be proven wrong, that it is not a bomb.
Old 27th August 2008, 00:29   #11
Team-BHP Support

Mayavi, are you serious!
Nobody will carry a bomb in the boot without disguise.
At every mall they open the boot and close it.
If somebody really wants to carry bomb they can remove spare wheel and keep it there or just keep it on the back seat! Why would somebody keep a bomb undisguised with timers on it in the boot when its known that all malls have checking??

This is an eyewash to create a false sense of security in people. If all these bomb checking things worked then we would not be having so many bomb blasts.
Moreover doing this gives a sense of importance to those in uniform, and even if they can delay somebody by 1 minute, its a huge ego kick for them.
Old 27th August 2008, 01:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Guess what the Guards of just the Admin at the Malls and other buildings are so dumb that they would not allow the bikes to be parked in the basment during the high alerts like the 15 August. where as the cars were allowed. i had polished up my bullet and wanted to take it to the basement and they would not allow me cause of the so called Security reasons. i was so iritated that i said ki i will bring in the bomb and park the car with it in the basement. and i was followed by the Security with a policeman to the Open parking and i was questioned. hehehe. this is pre 15 august this time in Gurgaon
Old 27th August 2008, 01:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Mayavi, are you serious!
If somebody really wants to carry bomb they can remove spare wheel and keep it there or just keep it on the back seat! Why would somebody keep a bomb undisguised with timers on it in the boot when its known that all malls have checking??
that's no reason for guards not to suspect and inspect.

OK, in October 2001 (immediately after 9/11) I was coming back from US, anthrax attack was not yet forgotten, and I had borrowed a bag from my south indian friend. little did i know he was a shaiv.

they started their security checks, and with his trembling gloved fingers, the security person took out a small ply bag filled with white powder.

next half an hour was spent in explaining it was "vibhuti" and why I had no idea it was in my bag.
Old 27th August 2008, 01:48   #14
BANNED

Sorry Mayawi, it seems you haven't understood what is the meaning of being Vigil and aware of the situations.
If a security company appoints some personnel to check cars and it's boot, then they should also be taught of what to expect in there. Or they'll raise false alarms by seeing a reverse sensor too! Oh! Just imagine if a car has an active sub and some capacitors??
Not that they have to be made engineers!
Old 27th August 2008, 02:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Mayavi, are you serious!

This is an eyewash to create a false sense of security in people. If all these bomb checking things worked then we would not be having so many bomb blasts.
Moreover doing this gives a sense of importance to those in uniform, and even if they can delay somebody by 1 minute, its a huge ego kick for them.
At most malls/hotels, when they ask you to pop the boot, they scan the contents, and sometimes those of the rear and even front passenger seats, with what should be an explosives detector. This will penetrate the cardboard/rubber sheet that hides the spare wheel area from plain sight.

Nothing, however small, is eyewash. Any security preparations, especially visible ones, are carried out to deter miscreants. An element of doubt or fear is created, which may stop them from carrying out their plans, or induce a mistake, which could save lives. Most of the time, the miscreants are semi-educated, and are easily put off by such measures. The well-educated ones are the ones we have to worry about, and the ones that invariably don't get caught.

And yes, you can expect them to not disguise their weapons. All the BLR blasts were with undisguised sticks of gelatin. They could just as easily have put them in used cartons, or something like that.

I don't think it's an ego rush for anyone. Most guards I come across (here in BLR, dunno about DEL) are polite and courteous. Some even apologise for the inconvenience. Suprisingly, so do the police. It can't be a great job to try and ensure the security of a nation, come rain or shine, more so when some of them sit and crib about it. And there's always the off chance that you might actually be blown to bits.

Better safe than sorry, I say.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks