Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 18:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

HU Upgrade At Last !!!!!!

So after ages of going on changing ICE components in the car one thing I had not done was upgrading the HU. I had this on my mind for over a year but could not place anything that I could really upgrade to among stuff available in the market. At first I thought about a Pioneer P980BT or Premier P880RS.

Then came the time I actually installed a P880RS in a reasonably big audio setup and it did not live up to what I needed it to sound like. It indeed is a nice sounding player but did not suit my taste. So Pioneer was out.
Had been reading loads about the Alpine 9887 all over the internet but did not have a chance to tune one. I cannot really make out the true potential of a player till I don't tune it myself with some amps. I was never a fan of the Alpines because of it's plain jane looks, though beautiful, but not exactly my type. Probably I was too bored with the Alpine looks in my car for few years. I still remember the day when JB listened to my setup couple of years ago and he told me I needed to change the player. IMO, the entire system he heard then had to be changed which actually has changed in the 2 years.

Then came an opportunity wheere I got to install the Alpine 9887 in a car with a nice system comprising of couple of Slash series JL Amps, JL Components and a W1 sub. It sounded brilliant, I actually shut off my phone for 45 mins on a busy day and tuned the setup, it just sound better with every song I played. I had tuned many 9886 players earlier but this wasa different creature. I was quite convicnced that this indeed was the player I wanted to upgrade to.

Then came the ECLIPSE CD7100 to me for an install with some rockford amps and polk momo speakers. After the install was done during the tune I had never heard a Polk speaker sound like that till date and we played with the tuning for around 1 1/2 hours. It was too good fun.
After this session the 9887 looked like nothing great in comparison. (I have not yet tried the Imprint module, so that will be another experience I am sure) That session did it, I chose my player and now I have just installed it in my car couple of days ago. The Eclipse CD7200 entirely transformed the way my car sounds, it sounds crisp in any level now. The sound has come so strong and clear up front with so many frequencies I had never heard before. That too i am running some entry level comps in front.

The next upgrade now is a front stage. Looking forward to some ID XS, mostly and then maybe a JL 450/4 4 channel to power tose babes. but as of now I am fine with what it's doing, maybe few months and the upgrade bug will bite and MAN! this is getting expensive and this is just the begining of my life of sound experience.
Attached Thumbnails
HU Upgrade At Last !!!!!!-0827_000658.jpg  

HU Upgrade At Last !!!!!!-0827_001911.jpg  

HU Upgrade At Last !!!!!!-0827_115216.jpg  

Old 27th August 2008, 19:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Blueraven. Knew would be the Eclipse and I know it will be the XS
Old 27th August 2008, 19:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow satya this HU looks killer man congrats buddy,it looks very nice.What is the thing installed next to the Amp gain controller
Old 27th August 2008, 19:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! That was an awesome upgrade.
Old 27th August 2008, 20:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

An Eclipse 7200! Killer upgrade, man! Congrats!

Did you get it from India or did you source it from outside? If don't mind my asking, how much did it run to?
Old 27th August 2008, 20:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Satya! Well deserved!
Old 27th August 2008, 21:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
An Eclipse 7200! Killer upgrade, man! Congrats!

Did you get it from India or did you source it from outside? If don't mind my asking, how much did it run to?
These players are not available in India easily, officially this one is priced at some 40,000 bucks. A legal import in India should be available for around Rs 27000, but one has to be lucky to find one.
Old 27th August 2008, 23:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Wow satya this HU looks killer man congrats buddy,it looks very nice.What is the thing installed next to the Amp gain controller
That is actually an Aux input thing which boosts the Aux signal, this one makes an ipod sound real great without wasting the sq, it's a really nice one by Hifonics. I had this as my Alpine was not that great on the Auxilary department if you connect an iPod directly.

I sat tonight in the car in the basement for an hour today listening to different tracks and setting the time alignment. It sounds blissful on the driver seat now, the back seats also are fine, only the passenger seat is'nt that great as the setup is aligned to the driver seat now.
The bass earlier used to hit hard and was loud, one could hear it more. Now, I can feel the bass despite of not running it that loud, it's nice when you can feel it rather than just hear it.
Can't wait to get my fronts upgraded but have to sit on this for some time as the new fronts will take a lot of effort fiberglassing etc.
Old 28th August 2008, 01:24   #9
BANNED

Congratulations!
That's one helluva HU you've gifted yourself. I'd say that this was one of my dream HUs after the Alpines.

As the HU has made it's way into the car, I'll wait with my breath held up to see the rest of the thingys coming in!

Good lucks!
Old 28th August 2008, 02:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

finally satya, the adios ceremony to the old work horse is done and the welcome is really great too, hey the last time i was with you, you were more inclined towards the JL comps not the amps mate, so its IDs now i think the ICE bug has played its game and successfully diverted you to those aih?

congratulations on the same, and i want an audition the next time i am in bangy, i hope i make it before the speaker and amp upgrade and have an audition after that too so that i know the difference, i am just on my way of graduating in ICE, you sure know that, and after Hydra's upgrade i was tempted badly too, lets see, ICE bug has really made a big wound but my vitamin M is just not piled up for the required dosages yet, so i will see you next time and hope fully do some upgrades too.
Old 28th August 2008, 08:26   #11
BANNED

Hi setup was already rocking to my ears but this is going to make it even better. Good going man.
Old 28th August 2008, 09:08   #12
BHPian

Killer setup mate...Congratulations!!
Old 28th August 2008, 09:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, blueraven! Will surely take a drive in your blingzen the next time am in B'lore.

BTW am getting an HU upgrade today - to the 9887
Old 28th August 2008, 09:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Since this is a public forum I will reserve the choicest words for when I see you personally.... but for now C-O-N-G-R-A-T-S !!!!! The wait was worth it I guess
Old 28th August 2008, 09:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful. Congratulations satya. I am sure it sounds great. Why shouldn't it at 40k?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks