Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 23:24   #1
BHPian

The FM compatibilty thread

May I propose a short thread for Gurus to advise as to which countries' HUs will be compatible with FM in India?

The countries I have in mind are U.S.A., France, U.K., Singapore, but we might as well be comprehensive for the benefit of all.
Old 29th August 2008, 23:28   #2
BANNED

As far as I know, there are only 2 different types of FM broadcasting and signals.
Does it require a separate thread?
Old 30th August 2008, 01:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

This has been explained in detail by Navin & many others in the Car Audio thread multiple times in the past.
Old 30th August 2008, 20:26   #4
BHPian

^ I know - just making it easier for others (as well as myself) to have this information easily accessible. It's a whole lot better than 50 people doing 50 different searches, reading multiple threads, weeding out useful search results form others, and then not sharing that information. The idea is that when a person has an opportunity in terms of being able to get a HU from another country, this thread would give them an instant lookup to find out whether a HU bought in that country would work well in India.

So could you guys please elaborate on what systems there are, and which countries have what, and what would work in India? (for e.g. I think American HUs don't work well here, but Singapore ones do work perfectly).

Last edited by vebmetal : 30th August 2008 at 20:30.
Old 1st September 2008, 10:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

We have a thread that covers this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...audio-u-s.html

from post #12 on that thread
this is the super short abriged version:
US: FM freq 0.4 Mhz apart below 92Mhz and 0.8 Mhz apart above 92Mhz. starting with center freq 87.9 and ending at 107.9Mhz. The origin of this lie in legacy. orignally commercial FM stations were alloted only freq above 92Mhz (called channel 221-300) and channel spacing was speced at 0.8Mhz. Today thanks to over crowding these regualtions have been relaxed in some markets (the FCC works in strange if consisent ways). In theory the US stations can be 0.2 Mhz apart from 87.9 to 107.9 but these rules are not used unless there is sever overcrowding or multi-ligual broadcasts (like along the Mexican border). Anyway what you need to know that ALL commercail US FM stations have a odd center frequecy starting at 87.9Mhz and ending at 107.9Mhz.

EU: FM freq. changes from country to country. In general their channel spacig is 0.1Mhz apart starting from 87.5Mhz and ending at 108Mhz. So in the EU the stations will have odd and even FM channels. Commercial and non commercial FM stations followed the same broadcast rules with few govt/military exceptions.

Japan: 76-90Mhz

USSR: 66-74Mhz (today only Russia, Hungary, Belarus, etc.)

there are some links here too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post117766

Last edited by navin : 1st September 2008 at 10:47.
Old 1st September 2008, 12:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: As Navin mentioned, there are other threads, please continue in the Bringing a HU from US thread
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks