Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 09:32   #1
nitin.dangayach

Smallest subwoofer possible for alto

Well in an already cramped alto's boot, I want to put somethin that can hit really low.

I searched a lot for an amp and sw combo under 10K budget but the size constraints alwayz disappointed me.

I saw one of our fellow friends using Audio Dynamics powered SW. Now that is exactly in synch with what i want. But a) that thing is not available locally b) on doing some research, i found it is not really a grt equipment c) i think i have something different in my mind now. you guys need to help me, if its possible.

My HU has 3 pre outs. I have a Creative subwoofer (17w*rms) that i m using righy now with my pc.

I am thinking of combining the above two statements somehow.

I am not sure if the HU can drive a woofer but i have seen some SW level control in the HU settings.
I am thinking of using that SW in my boot for its small size and i know it sounds exactly the way i want my car to sound.

I am not sure how will that be possible.

Hoping that you guys can churn out something for me.

Ask for any more information, i'll gladly answer but pls suggest me something.

Old 25th September 2008, 09:52   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
My HU has 3 pre outs. I have a Creative subwoofer (17w*rms) that i m using righy now with my pc.
I am not sure if the HU can drive a woofer but i have seen some SW level control in the HU settings.
I am thinking of using that SW in my boot for its small size and i know it sounds exactly the way i want my car to sound.

Ask for any more information, i'll gladly answer but pls suggest me something.
Hu cannot drive the sub.It will have around 22-28Watts amp and will fry if you try to run the sub for long time.
You can search for subs which will take less than 1 cu and fiberglass the box.The rigt side boot space is ideal for this.
Don't use creative sub will not sound good

Last edited by mohang_j : 25th September 2008 at 09:53.
Old 25th September 2008, 10:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

buy pionner sub with sony 222 amp!! cheapest solution
Old 25th September 2008, 11:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

@nitin, as the earlier posters said, you can't drive a sub off a HU.

I have seen an Alto here in Kochi, with an inverted 12" Alpine Type-S sub in the boot. The sub is installed in the rear RHS (driver-side) of the boot, just behind the rear seats. It is mounted so it fires straight downward into an FG enclosure. It sticks-up to about 4 to 6" above the seat level, and uses up nearly zero space in the boot. The enclosure is a bit thin (as far as dimensions go), but is about 1 cu.ft. Since the sub is not inside the enclosure the installer could keep the enclosure pretty thin, covering the side-wall of the boot (from the back of the seats to the part of the boot just behind the rear-lights). It sounded very good. The owner did not want a picture to be taken, or I'd have posted it here long back. He also has a pair of Blau Velocity (the old ones with the copper-coloured-cone) 3-way component system with an 8" midbass & a 4" midrange in the front doors).

You can also use nearly any 12" sub this way (inverted install, firing into an FG enclosure), and keep the boot-space usable. Most subs keep to a 1 cu.ft. space requirement if run sealed. The sub + amp + wiring should run to 5K + 4K + 2K = 10K (JBL CS1204 12" sub & enclosure, Blau GT2special amp, power + RCA wiring). You might need to spend another 3-4K on install if you go for the FG enclosure.

If budget was not much of an issue, I'd have suggested an ID10 v3. It is an excellent sub, and needs just about a 0.50 cu.ft. sealed box. About 180-200w RMS will be enough to drive it reasonably well. It runs to about 11,500/- (or 11,300/-, I'm not fully sure) by itself and the amp & wiring would be extra.
Old 25th September 2008, 11:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

can you do a SWWS ?
alternately blaupunkt had some tiny powered subwoofers, but dont think they are available in india....
Old 25th September 2008, 11:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

SWWS is a good option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
alternately blaupunkt had some tiny powered subwoofers, but dont think they are available in india....
I think there are 2 active subs available here (both in the TH series). They can be installed under the driver's seat also. But they are not very VFM compared to sub+box+amp setups (as far as bass-output is concerned).

I don't think the older OD series ultraflat sub-drivers are available any more. They were pretty expensive and not worth the money spent.
Old 25th September 2008, 13:49   #7
nitin.dangayach

Care to elaborate SWWS?

Old 25th September 2008, 13:53   #8
BHPian

SWWS .here we go again!!
its a very good option for those who dont want to use any boot space
you would require to use a free air sub.

only thing you need to check if you can invert the stepny in your car so that the woofer fits.
your boot floor may be raised by 1-1.5 inches but its space saving on the whole.

also do forget about having a sealed SWWS ( ive done so much juggar it feels ive got a phd in it)
just go for a free air sub
Old 25th September 2008, 13:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...heel-well.html
Old 25th September 2008, 14:07   #10
BHPian

Have anyone tried the 8" Sub from polk , the enclosure dimensions are just too small, was thinking about getting it installed in my bro's swift, due to the same reasons as mentioned above(space constraint), but how does it sound ? and it's the only 8" subwoofer that is currently available here off the rack.

Check the details out and i think it says it needs an enclosure with just 12 litre volume it good then can do even an under seat install right ?

Polk 8" Sub
Old 25th September 2008, 15:10   #11
nitin.dangayach

I think the 6x9 inchers have comparable bass to the bass produced by an 8" woofer. I already have polks db691 ovals. Just that they dont really cross the 100 Hz level, I feel. And i want a SW only to add in those truncated frequencies from the sound field. Power was never a constraint since I seldom hear loud.

The Creative thing I talked about has only a 4" woofer and it literally shakes grounds. dont know how.

Old 25th September 2008, 17:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

I'm afraid small subs can't go very low on the frequency band. If you want the smallest, go for an 8 incher - but again, when you have the enclosure it will take up some space; If you want it to go really low (for an Alto), I would suggest a 12 incher.

My suggestion would be not to buy an active sub as my experience with them hasn't been the best.
Old 25th September 2008, 18:03   #13
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
I'm afraid small subs can't go very low on the frequency band.
But I guess its the enclosure that matters the most. My Creative SW being a 4 incher grooves much better than the big polks i have. The same goes with my Sony music system. Their 4-5" woofers kich much better.

NB: I am not really comparing the power, just the frequency reproducion.

Old 25th September 2008, 18:05   #14
nitin.dangayach

Also I found the following information about my HU:
EQ3-Band Parametric iEQ Yes
Max. Amp Gain Switcher Yes
Line Output Terminals (Pair) 2Pairs
Subwoofer Output with Level/Frequency Control Yes
Line Output Level 2.5V
Subwoofer Output Level 4V

Can somebody tell me if its any good ? I mean how can I make best use of it ?

If I am connnecting an external amp with sub, then how does the SW controls on the HU hold any importance ? and what is the use of SW frequency control then ?

Last edited by nitin.dangayach : 25th September 2008 at 18:17.

Old 25th September 2008, 18:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nitin, I'm sure you'll change your opinion if you'd audition a few good setups.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks