Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 20:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pio 3050UB (2 RCA) + JBL 4Ch GT5-A604 = HOW to GET A SubWoofer "DILEMMA"

The car :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...000-kms-8.html

Brief History:

1) Indigo CS TDI
2) current setup : (Done @ Anwar/Thouqeer AutoFusion's Blore)
-----ICE Setup-----
HU - Pioneer 3050UB
Amp - JBL 4Ch - GT5-A604
Front - JBL Compo - GTO507C
Rear - JBL CoAxials- 6*9 937's
Scoshe EFX wiring
------------------------------------------

3. Budget: MAX 5K :(
4. SELF DRIVING
5. Music preferences -- No Pref
6. Ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Boot space - not much (little is ok)

---------------------My Query------------------

1) Since i have a Pio 3050UB with "ONLY" 2 RCA out which is linked to a JBL GT5-A604 4Ch - I do not have any more RCA outs to power a MONO(no money to buy one too) -- Suggest a best way to drive a 3050 + GT5-A604 + Compo's front + 6*9's rear + "NEW YET TO BUY" 8" Sub (Polk MOMO mostly)

1) What is the best solution to fit a tiny (8" Polk is the only sub avbl i guess) Subwoofer in this current setup. I am totally lost after 2 days 'searching' in 'tbhp' (of course).

2) I wanted to save space so searched for 'woofer in rear MDF plank' and DID NOT find much info.

3) Dont want 'SWSW' - I use my boot most of the days. So dont want to damage the sub.

4) I dont want 'loose' (boom boom) bass - looking for more 'hard' (dhak dhak) bass (I guess I want a sealed enclosure over a ported one) (Remember not too loud also, but I want more 'dhak dhak' bass than the current CoAx's)

5) Is any of below possible?
5a) Drive compo's off the HU, just unplug existing wire from AMP and connect to HU
5b) Drive CoAx's from HU - which will mean I have to "PAY" for new (UnCut - no join's!) wiring from CoAx to HU - "WHAT WILL THIS COST ME"
5c) Will the current AMP support the Polk 8"? I really dont want to spend on a new HU or a new Amp/Mono.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 30th September 2008, 21:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4) I dont want 'loose' (boom boom) bass - looking for more 'hard' (dhak dhak) bass (I guess I want a sealed enclosure over a ported one)
Yes, sealed is what you seek.
Quote:
5) Is any of below possible?
5a) Drive compo's off the HU, just unplug existing wire from AMP and connect to HU
5b) Drive CoAx's from HU - which will mean I have to "PAY" for new (UnCut - no join's!) wiring from CoAx to HU - "WHAT WILL THIS COST ME"
5c) Will the current AMP support the Polk 8"? I really dont want to spend on a new HU or a new Amp/Mono.
a) Yes, possible, not recommended
b) Yes possible, recommended. Wiring from Coax to HU should cost you 100 to 200 rupees.
c) Yes it will. It will drive an 8" sub in a sealed box with ease.
Old 30th September 2008, 21:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Respected Sam, (really mean it)

a) Yes, possible, not recommended - guessing bcoz Compos sound better from Amp rather than a HU?
b) Yes possible, recommended. Wiring from Coax to HU should cost you 100 to 200 rupees. - i was afraid much more - then i am ok with it, what do I loose wrt SQ?
c) Yes it will. It will drive an 8" sub in a sealed box with ease.- throw some light on wiring connctions please? just plug the +ve and -ve of the SUB to a +ve/-Ve of the GT5A604? You dont expect any power load issues from a 8incher to a GT5?

- And i just noticed 6 options on the Polk site.

8" Subwoofers : Speakers & Systems : Polk Audio

Which one fits my budget? Sub + box + wiring? Please advise.
Old 30th September 2008, 21:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
guessing bcoz Compos sound better from Amp rather than a HU?
Yes and because the music will sound better if the front soundstage is crisp, loud and clear.
Quote:
i was afraid much more - then i am ok with it, what do I loose wrt SQ?
You will not lose any sound quality, the rears will get a bit quieter and will function only as fillers. Perfect if you drive yourself.
Quote:
throw some light on wiring connctions please? just plug the +ve and -ve of the SUB to a +ve/-Ve of the GT5A604? You dont expect any power load issues from a 8incher to a GT5?
Will you be connecting it yourself?
The rear channels of the GT5-A604 will be in bridged mode.

Pio 3050UB (2 RCA) + JBL 4Ch GT5-A604 = HOW to GET A SubWoofer "DILEMMA"-image-gt5a604-side-view-01_jpg.jpg

If you see the picture above, right on top of the 8 speaker terminals you will see Bridged with a + and a - sign. The + and - of your subwoofer will go there, on the lower row. The upper row will drive your components. The rear speaker will be connected to the rear speaker out of the HU.

No there will be NO power load issues. God promise.

Cheers man and enjoy your music

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 30th September 2008 at 21:47.
Old 30th September 2008, 21:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

>> Will you be connecting it yourself?

No Sam, May be Satya(EVO) this time - i have visited Anwar's twice, thought of experiencing satya's magic this time...

>> The rear channels of the GT5-A604 will be in bridged mode.
Is the pic of my AMP's model? Never noticed those!! I am guessing the opposite (other) side will retain the current connections? 2+2 RCA cable input from HU.

Oh and yes - any ideas for SUB placement? Boot it is, but what about the MDF plank, should I cut a square in the center for the bass to flow in(close the hole with a net cloth?)
Old 30th September 2008, 22:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No Sam, May be Satya(EVO) this time - i have visited Anwar's twice, thought of experiencing satya's magic this time...
Cool, he will know exactly what to do.;

Quote:
Is the pic of my AMP's model? Never noticed those!! I am guessing the opposite (other) side will retain the current connections? 2+2 RCA cable input from HU.
Yes, that is your amplifier. Yes the other side will retain the connections, however the LPF of the rear channel will be switched on and will be set between 80 to 120 Hz, depending on Satya.
Quote:
should I cut a square in the center for the bass to flow in(close the hole with a net cloth?)
No no. Just put it in the boot. Bass travels.
Old 30th September 2008, 22:26   #7
BANNED

Man! If Satya is doing this, he knows what to do as Sam said. Don't bheja fry too much about connections and all here. If you have understood what Sam has explained, then good. If not, then Satya will give you a good on spot explanation of how it's all done.

As you expect lots of dhak dhak bass, I expect you want some on the chest, powerful bass. Ain't it?
I'd recommend you to listen to a ported box and a sealed box before you choose your's.

Why an 8" sub?
It would cost more in some cases. I don't know about Polks. Keeping the dhak dhak thingy in mind, I'd say you check out some 12" ones too. Won't make a big difference in the box size if made correctly.
Old 1st October 2008, 10:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

>Why an 8" sub?
I was thinking space

>I'd say you check out some 12" ones too. Won't make a big difference in the box size if made correctly.
Ahem... will the current amp support it? I was under the impression the sub's need more powerful and consistent power.
And the price?? Will I stay under the 5K budget (i am looking only for a marginal increase in bass)

----

what are the current prices of a 8" (only polk makes them) and a 10-12" (decent brand) + boxes for both of them?
Old 3rd October 2008, 18:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sam, others -- help required

I was just seeing through JBL and Polk Audio sites and noticed both have a 8" option. Sam - Is this available in India? "GTO 804" - single Voice.

I also noticed Polk having the following.
db804
db804DVC
-
db840
db840DVC
-
MM2084
MM2084DVC
-

What is DVC - Dual voice coil? i suppose, and its difference with others?

Sam, back to you - will the GT5604 Amp support 2 Compos @ front and a 8" SEALED DVC sub at the rear? (937's from HU as you directed me to...)

------

Satya, thanks for giving me the directions. I will try to find a time to see you ASAP.
Old 3rd October 2008, 20:26   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

As they say in certain parts of the world, hallihallo!
Quote:
I was just seeing through JBL and Polk Audio sites and noticed both have a 8" option. Sam - Is this available in India? "GTO 804" - single Voice.
Nope. That model is US only. Everywhere else, size does matter.

Quote:
Sam, back to you
Yes Sir!
Quote:
- will the GT5604 Amp support 2 Compos @ front and a 8" SEALED DVC sub at the rear?
Yes. But I'd much rather you just bought a 4ohm Single voice coil.

Jai Hind!

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 3rd October 2008 at 20:31.
Old 3rd October 2008, 20:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
What is DVC - Dual voice coil? i suppose, and its difference with others?

DVC is dual voice coils(i.e the sub has 2 coils)
SVC is single voice coil

DVC subs give flexibility in connection because the coils can be connected in parallel or series to present differnt loads to the amp
E.G two coils of 4 ohms wired in series present 8 ohms and wired in parallel present a 2 ohm load

however since you have already chosen an amplifier which i think is 4 channel and is probably not stable at 2 ohms SAM has rightly adviced you to get a SVC sub

Vande Materam

Last edited by Magma : 3rd October 2008 at 20:40.
Old 4th October 2008, 08:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
As they say in certain parts of the world, hallihallo!
vanakkam & namaskara (I belong to both TN and KA)
Quote:
Yes. But I'd much rather you just bought a 4ohm Single voice coil.
Done - no more arguments from my side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
...and is probably not stable at 2 ohms SAM has rightly adviced you to get a SVC sub
yes - thx for 'confusing' a commerce guy (kidding), but i will stick to a SVC

Quote:
Jai Hind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
Vande Materam
Satyameva Jayate

(I had to say something)!!
Old 7th April 2009, 06:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well, I eventually decided to go in for a SW (delay due to many reasons). For all who would search in this forum "how to run a JBL 10" SW from a 2 RCA out HU and a 4CH AMP" here is a clue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks