Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 08:23   #1
BANNED

Audio System not working after car servicing

I had given my car for servicing but after taking it back I find that my music system is not working. The HU comes on but the speakers don't work. So I checked the AMP and see that it is not getting on. The fuse and wiring seems to be ok, what could be the reason?
Old 10th October 2008, 08:31   #2
BANNED

See if the remote switch wire from the HU to amp has lost it's connection somewhere.
Did you check the connection and fuse near the battery?
Old 10th October 2008, 13:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
I had given my car for servicing but after taking it back I find that my music system is not working. The HU comes on but the speakers don't work. So I checked the AMP and see that it is not getting on. The fuse and wiring seems to be ok, what could be the reason?
you mean to say that the amp is not turning on? if so check the remote wire.

BTW this seems to be a common problem (service guys messing up ICE). Since I dont drive I ask my driver to take the car from the service station to my friendly neighbourhood ICEwalla for a clean bill of health.
Old 10th October 2008, 13:33   #4
BHPian

Hi Zaks,

You might want to check if the service guys have disconnected the power connection to the amp from the battery. They might have disconnected this while topping up the fluid levels for the battery.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 10th October 2008, 13:59   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
See if the remote switch wire from the HU to amp has lost it's connection somewhere.
Did you check the connection and fuse near the battery?
Checked the battery connections and fuse, they're fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
you mean to say that the amp is not turning on? if so check the remote wire.
What's this and where should I look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Hi Zaks,

You might want to check if the service guys have disconnected the power connection to the amp from the battery. They might have disconnected this while topping up the fluid levels for the battery.
Cheers!
DueLLeR
No this is not the case.

They also cleaned the interiors and vacuumed the carpets, could this be due their doing some goof ups here?

Last edited by zaks : 10th October 2008 at 14:00.
Old 10th October 2008, 14:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Do you have a multimeter? If so, I could guide accordingly.
Old 10th October 2008, 15:08   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Do you have a multimeter? If so, I could guide accordingly.
Ok, got one form IT .
Now please tell me all the steps as I have to go down 5 floors to parking
Old 10th October 2008, 15:12   #8
BHPian

I suggest that instead of trying to DIY, you go to your installer tomorrow and get it done. It may hardly take time and he may not even charge you.
Old 10th October 2008, 15:24   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I suggest that instead of trying to DIY, you go to your installer tomorrow and get it done. It may hardly take time and he may not even charge you.
Installer is far from my place and I suspect this to be a trivial problem unless they have pulled out some wires somewhere.
Old 10th October 2008, 15:41   #10
BHPian

if you can see the amp wires connections then there will be three wires two of them would be of high capacity and the third one would be of mostly blue in color(hoping) check that wire is there on amp or not ,if yes then get a small piece of wire and connect that wire point to the positive terminal wire of your amp and check now that amp is working or not ...
If no then check the fuse and if yes then check wiring of the remote wire

hoping this will resolve your problem

PS. do turn off your keys before doing this and do not connect the wire to negative terminal

sorry again read your post :

This would be the issue of pre amp connectors being shot .. this would be the chance as amp is working but not the speakers...

DO you have any sub?

Last edited by smokin : 10th October 2008 at 15:47. Reason: add in post
Old 10th October 2008, 15:52   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
sorry again read your post :

This would be the issue of pre amp connectors being shot .. this would be the chance as amp is working but not the speakers...

DO you have any sub?
No I don't have sub, where to check for this pre-amp, near hu? BTW where is B&T who promised me some tehkikaat?
Old 10th October 2008, 16:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Zak! You mention that the amp is "not getting on", which I interpret as "not powering up", i.e. no LED glows. This can happen if:

1. You have blown a fuse in the power line, or power cable is open somewhere along the path
2. Remote turn on cable is disconnected or shorting somewhere. Latter not being very good for your head unit.
3. Ground connection has come loose.

Before anything else, check that the engine compartment fuse/ amp's onboard fuse(s) isn't blown, that the power cable is connected to the battery properly, and that the amp has all three wires connected to its 3 terminals, i.e. "Power", "Ground" and "Remote"

Follow these steps:

1. Keep the multimeter on the DC Voltage and in the range of "up to 20V"
2. With the system switched off, place the red probe on the "power" or "+" terminal on the amp, and the black one on the "ground" terminal. Check if you are getting a voltage in the range of 11-13. If you are, go to step # 6
3. If you are not getting any reading, move the black probe to some clean, unpainted part of the car chassis like an unpainted bolt or something. Check for voltage.
4. If you are getting a reading within 11-13 V now, it means that your earth has come loose. You have to check the earth wire.
5. If you did not get a reading in both cases, your power cable is faulty somewhere. Have an installer check it.
6. Switch on the head unit, at zero volume. Place the black probe on the amp's ground terminal. Place the red one on the terminal marked "remote". You should get a voltage reading, again something from 10-13V. If you are not getting this, there is a fault along the remote line.

If none of the above works, there's something up with the amp.
Old 11th October 2008, 08:53   #13
BANNED

I got the problem, following the steps above I found that the ground wire was open. Traced it and after some circus reconnected it back and everything is fine now. Thanks B&T and others for help in sorting this out.

I had been on a trip with bad roads perhaps this might have caused this problem.
Old 11th October 2008, 13:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

@ zaks - great to hear that its sorted out.

Use a nice ring terminal to securely fasten the ground cable to the chassis. Its not a good thing for the ground cable to be open like this. It could cause trouble if this happened when you were listening to music loud. Also ensure that such a thing does not happen with the power cable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks