Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2008, 11:26   #1
BHPian

SX 4 Upgrade - Again

Hi Gurus,
Don't curse me for this query, I have already gone through the threads completely and my ancient brain is not able to come out with a clear picture, too many products and explanations, so, even if its gonna be a repetition kindly enlighten me in the following.
1. I wanna upgrade my SX4 music system without changing the HU.
2. I want a good bass and treble too.
3. Is it O.K to cut the metal behind the rear sets to fit in a ovals or a sub? If not, the placements of the speakers/Sub/Amp etc.
4. My budget is around 20 K, can be streched a bit.
5. Want to know the make, combination of the speakers /amp/sub/ets and the place to get them and to fix it in Chennai.
Please keep in mind my poor grey matter and give me a straight, not much complicated reply. I will just go to the place tell him to fix the combination you guys gonna guide me and pay him, drive home, content.
P.S. I hate systems with the irritating Hisss noise. So, guide me about the wire and connection too.
Old 7th November 2008, 00:07   #2

I upgraded the speakers in my SX4 ZXi a couple of months back. I didnt want to change the head unit (planning for later) and fitted all blaupunkt components in the front, coaxials in the rear doors and a sub. Also 2 blaupunkt amps powering the front comps and the sub. It cost me a total of 19k and I'm really happy with the sound i'm getting.

I didnt want to cut the metal beneath the parcel tray since its still not even a year since I bought the car. You can cut it though and fix 6x9's, which would give a good sorround effect in the car.

For your budget you can go for brands like Blaupunkt, JBL and Pioneer. Fix components in the front door, coaxials in the rear door, 6x9's in the rear parcel tray (optional) and a sub in the boot. Use some good wiring from Earthquake or Monster, and most importantly, get a good installer to get the setup done.

All the best!!
Old 7th November 2008, 00:57   #3
BHPian

I've got JBL 936s in the rear, had the metal cut for the fitting. But past few weeks every time I drive over a bump there's a kadaak sound at the back from that area, have to get it checked. So if you do cut the metal, just make sure the cover is put back firmly.
I have JBL components in the front, stock locations with a Sony amp in the boot. Sound is generations ahead of the OE setup. Planning to get a bass bin at the back, but thinking of changing HU first.
Since your budget is 20k, (not that I'm a guru on ICE), why not get component for both front and rear - they can fit in the stock locations and then get a woofer at the back. You wont have to cut the metal then.
Oh yea, I have Boss wiring - its ok, I do get the that whiny noise when I rev and the volume is low; just have to get a sound filter (or whatever its called) to get rid of that.
Cutting the metal for the sub will be a bit of a task and may be a bit messy too. If I were you, place the sub in the boot. Blaupunkt has a sub with a ready made enclosure - called bass bin - and its for 3.8k here in Delhi. Friend of mine has it in his ZX.

Last edited by anantnehru : 7th November 2008 at 01:00.
Old 7th November 2008, 09:12   #4
BHPian

In my SX4 Zxi, i have changed both set of speakers in the front and rear, replacing the front set with JBL CS 2165c components and the rear speakers with JL Audio TR650 CXi co ax speakers. I have also added a crunch amp powering all the speakers and an infinity sub. The sound improvement is much much better than the stock set up. All this cost around 25k.i would suggest u go for JBL components and co ax speakers first, but then again u'll have to audition this before u make a choice. JBL is value for money.

About cutting the rear parcel try, i dont think that would be necessay as it would be a complicated job and if not done properly will make the tray look cheap, hence in my opinion i'd avoid putting 6x9's. 6' co ax speakers in the door do just fine.
Old 7th November 2008, 10:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
why not get component for both front and rear
IMO with his budget components in the rear is un-necessary expenditure.Spend on :

6.5" Front components + Amplifier. If rear fill is necessary just get 6.5" co-axials of the same brand/series as the front drivers.

Dash kits are available for the SX4, so changing the OE HU to an aftermarket one is easy and also wont require jugaad

Last edited by s0uljah : 7th November 2008 at 10:39. Reason: added quote
Old 7th November 2008, 10:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
1. I wanna upgrade my SX4 music system without changing the HU.
2. I want a good bass and treble too.
3. Is it O.K to cut the metal behind the rear sets to fit in a ovals or a sub?
4. My budget is around 20 K, can be streched a bit.
you will need an amp that has speaker level inputs and level control knob.
your budget should read as follows:
4 ch. amp: 6K
10" sub in box: 6K
front speakers: 6K
RCA wires and install: 3K

retain rear speakers or use current front speakers in the rear if they are better. let the HU drive the rear speakers, let the amp drive the front speaker and sub.
Old 7th November 2008, 15:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Dash kits are available for the SX4, so changing the OE HU to an aftermarket one is easy and also wont require jugaad
True, but the new HU will be expensive!! I saw this Sony HU Double Din, its pretty new just launched and its for 11-12k!
But then again, price is relative
Old 9th November 2008, 20:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Anant the dash kit will accept a single DIN HU.

So your option range from 4k Pioneer/Kenwood upwards
Old 10th November 2008, 02:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
True, but the new HU will be expensive!! I saw this Sony HU Double Din, its pretty new just launched and its for 11-12k!
But then again, price is relative
Talking about dashkits and double din HU's in the Sx4. Well i had bought the MGP Dash Kit which came OE in the initial batch of SX4 VXi's at the same time when i got my car earlier this year for 300 bucks(yes MGP). I did soo coz i wasn't really impressed with my ZXI's music system and had made up my mind to upgrade in the near future.

Now some months down the line, i lately went to a friendly car accessory store to check out a few double-din touch screen DVD HU's. I took the dash kit and the HU metal frame of the SX4 (where the actual HU is screwed inside the dash) which i had along with me since i wanted to see how the HU would look in the OE dashkit and just to get an idea how the entire dash would look after dumping the OE HU for a swanky DVD Head Unit (touch screen at that) hehe.

I went to the store and test fitted a JVC 800 DVD Touch Screen unit and then the Pioneer 6850DVD (which also has a 6CD changer integrated in the HU itself) into the metal frame and then jus slipped on the dashkit the way it would normally sit on the frame when actually installed in the car and guess what it looked cool, almost OE. Have a look

JVC 800DVD for 22k
SX 4 Upgrade - Again-11082008007.jpg

Pioneer 6850 for 40k
SX 4 Upgrade - Again-16072008166.jpg

I found the DVD HU's highly functional since it suports DVD/VCD movies right up on the dash. It has 3 set of preouts soo a 4ch + mono amp is definately on like in all good single-din units out there! It also does DIVX and also sports USB connection, optional bluetooth and IPOD compatibility. There is also the touch screen factor which looks totally bling and is a cool accessory to have. All this for 22k sounded super cool to me.

@drjones - I guess this solution won't interest you much since it will break your entire ICE budget by a mile but if you can up your budget to this level then do consider the JVC 800 HU, totally VFM IMO!

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 10th November 2008 at 02:14.
Old 10th November 2008, 02:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Anant the dash kit will accept a single DIN HU.

So your option range from 4k Pioneer/Kenwood upwards
Was about to say I had heard otherwise, but above post now lets me see otherwise..
@prince85
Wow, 300Rs?? I had wanted to buy it earlier, do you have any idea if its available now? Btw, the JVC one is pretty cool; 2 of my friends have it in their car.
Old 20th November 2008, 00:09   #11
BHPian

Hi drjones,
hope i am not late..
i got the front speakers on my car changed to JBL same size as stock and left the rear door speakers as is. On the rear tray, had oval JBL speakers fitted. The tray had to be cut, but it was a neat job and the surround effect is awesome. Just ensure that when the tray is cut:
1. The gas cutter flame does not get too close to the rear glass
2. The oval cut on the tray should be measured in such a way that the speaker fitting does not get too close to the boot pipes when closing / opening the boot

If care is taken it definitely looks very good

Total cost to me for the front and rear speakers was approx 8K

cheers
Old 28th November 2008, 04:30   #12

Hey guys can you suggest to me what to do coz I am out of luck. I got the new ZXI SX4 and the sound does not really affect me. I have an MTX subwoofer a Sony explod woofer as well as a Sony 500 watt amp and a bazooka amp. Can hook up all of these from the head unit? Ireally need someone's help.
Old 28th November 2008, 12:50   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretcraze View Post
I got the new ZXI SX4 and the sound does not really affect me. I have an MTX subwoofer a Sony explod woofer as well as a Sony 500 watt amp and a bazooka amp. Can hook up all of these from the head unit? Ireally need someone's help.
1. Check if the amps have spekaer level inputs. if not you will need a speaker level to line level converter.

2. Since the subs most lilely will be placed in the trunk you will need to attach the amps to the rear outputs of the HU and then the subwoofers to the amps. For what I understand, you have 2 amps (Sony and Bazooka) and 2 subs (MTX and Sony). I assume the amps are 2 ch. amps or mono amps and I assume the subs are 4 ohms (or DVC 2 ohms). If this is true then each amp can simply drive one sub. which amp drives which sub can be determined on which combination sounds better.
Old 29th November 2008, 03:41   #14

Thanks alot Navin...but i have heard that the HU in the ZXI does not havce enough preouts. Will that affect the setup?
Old 29th November 2008, 13:14   #15
BHPian

Prince85,both the HU look lovely.Have you installed it in your car?If so,could you provide some pictures after install.Are steering wheel audio buttons useless,after the install?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks