Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 21:47   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hiding passive crossovers

I have seen quite a few installs where the passive crossover is placed in a position where it is visible. Now all this is fine for competition cars where there are points awarded for looks as much as for sound (SQ or SPL).

However for "normal" cars I see no logical reason to have a passive crossover so exposed. There are few controls that can be easily accessed; instead dirt and dust can more easily enter the XO if it exposed.

I'd like to ask members especially the professional installers like Gunbir, LBM, Bass&Trouble, BlueRaven, etc.. (Sam does not do installs) what their reasons are to place the XO where it is liable to get damaged.
Old 20th October 2008, 23:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-g...xes-water.html

imagine what would have happened if the crossovers were hidden in the door panels

having said that , My crossovers are plased within the door panels. god forbid nothing happens to them!

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th October 2008 at 23:01.
Old 20th October 2008, 23:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

1) Looks good
2) Makes the setup look more serious
Old 20th October 2008, 23:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I'd like to ask members especially the professional installers like Gunbir, LBM, Bass&Trouble, BlueRaven, etc.. (Sam does not do installs) what their reasons are to place the XO where it is liable to get damaged.
Navin Ji are you asking about crossover getting damaged or protected ?

Rest I would place the crossover under the front seat or under the dash, boot.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 20th October 2008 at 23:14.
Old 21st October 2008, 09:48   #5
BHPian

I think under the dash is the most common place where the Xovers are installed so that they remain hidden.

I might be wrong but in case someone is making a custom enclosure for the Amps in the rear, the Xovers could also be mounted behind it, where they can remain safe and protected from possible contact with water i suppose.

As LBM mentioned above, they can be hidden by installing under the seat but i am not sure about this as the front seat is adjustable and there can be a possibility that the cables might get stuck in the seat adjustment mechanism (back and forth one, dont know what its called )

If i had to do it, i would hide them behind the Amp enclosures since i have them.
Old 21st October 2008, 10:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-g...xes-water.html
imagine what would have happened if the crossovers were hidden in the door panels
Maybe less damage, the water leakage in the door panel might be less than outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Rest I would place the crossover under the front seat or under the dash, boot.
LBM you are a Guru, I am just a Mod. Guys like you, Gunbir, B&T, BlueRaven etc. should be telling me what rationale you use/used to place the XO. So far I have been happiest placing them under the dash.

I'll repeat my question

Last edited by navin : 21st October 2008 at 10:12.
Old 21st October 2008, 12:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

From my experience - there is no problem with putting crossovers where they are visible. Some clients like to show them off, and I don't see anything wrong with that. To show off the crossover, there are 3 usual mounting locations:

1. On some part of the door pad - This location is not the most preferred one in my book. More so since the gear that we usually use comes with crossovers that have unusually large inductors. Frequent opening and closing of the door causes the coils to unwind and strain on the board where it is soldered. This is not a problem with crossovers on entry level speakers since the coils are usually smaller and lighter, and in some cases absent. The only practical advantage is that the runs of speaker cable are the shortest.

2. On Kick Panel - This is ideal if you want to show off your crossover and yet not subject it to jolts. The only care to be taken is that it does not end up obstructing the feet in any way.

3. In the trunk - Several times, the crossovers (even for the front speakers) are mounted in the trunk, sometimes right next to the amps etc. The only drawback is that you will need twice the amount of speaker cable that you would require if the crossover was up front.

Sometimes, you can also see them perched atop parcel shelves, on both sides of the center console etc. Crossovers do not need continuous adjustment and it is not necessary to keep them where they are easily accessible - if that is anyone's idea. Crossovers should ideally be set up at the time of installation itself and firmly secured to whatever moutning location has been finalized.

For a completely stock look, crossovers end up either in the dash or concealed inside the door panel. For rear components, they can also be screwed onto the underside of the parcel shelf. Basically any nook or cranny inside the car that can keep them out of sight, and completely clear of moving parts should work fine as long as the crossovers are not causing any hinderance to accessing some part of the car like the fuse box etc.

99% of the crossovers are not affected by dust. Only ones that can be affected are those that have some rotary or sliding devices for attenuation etc. There are several that have epoxy coated boards and solders that will not be affected by water too.

Cars that are meant as show/ demo cars are likely to have unusual crossover mounting locations. They are not meant to set any sort of example. Recently saw one which had crossovers screwed onto the dashboard.
Old 21st October 2008, 15:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

I had the luccent crossovers inside the door pad but it was causing trouble due to the fabulous build quality of the swift. Last week transferred them under the dash and now going to damp the hell out of the front doors.

O/T I know....Sorry!
Old 21st October 2008, 17:05   #9
BHPian

I am just an end user, one thing experienced by me during my setup install.
My crossovers were placed inside door cabinet, the stockwiring of car was already there, so its terminations were done there only.
Now when I wanted to connect them to the amp, then the whole wiring from amp was supposed to be routed to them, going inside the doors. If they(XO) were in some accessible location inside the car itself, then it would have been easy for wiring and connections.
Anyways finaly as its not easy to route cables inside the door panel in Palio, so cables from Amplifier were routed to Headunit and the stock wiring for front speakers was cut there and connected with Amp wiring.

Last edited by hrsraghav : 21st October 2008 at 17:06.
Old 21st October 2008, 21:36   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
From my experience - there is no problem with putting crossovers where they are visible. Some clients like to show them off, and I don't see anything wrong with that.
So is this the only reason why XOs are made visible. If then my fears are unfounded. I figured the Gurus knew something that I did not. I prefer to hide my XOs why I prefer to hide my speakers too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks