Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:43   #1
BHPian

Suggestions invited for ICE upgrade for Octavia vRS - currently stock

Hi guys,
I am looking to upgrade the ICE set-up for my Octavia vRS. The stock set-up is an Alpine 9830 HU with 2 speakers in the front and 2 in the rear parcel shelf along with a tweeter in each of the 4 doors. I'm not looking for anything fancy, plan to keep the same HU, what I am looking to do is add an amp, a subwoofer at the minimum and would also like to explore replacing the rear/front speakers or even both. I am looking for suggestions for all of the above, also in terms of specific set-up in relation to the acoustics and the logistics of the car. In terms of budget, I would like to limit myself to around 15k at the moment but I am open to doing it gradually as well in stead of getting everything in one shot.
Thanks in advance for all the help.
Cheers,
Sumit
P.S. I listen to a lot of trance so the emphasis will be on clear and crisp bass which I find lacking in the stock set-up
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefls View Post
I am looking for suggestions I would like to limit myself to around 15k
P.S. I listen to a lot of trance so the emphasis will be on clear and crisp bass which I find lacking in the stock set-up
If bass is important get a 4ch. amp and a 12" sub. Later you can upgrade the front speakers, add a monoblock and upgrade rear speaker in that order.
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

get in touch with a fellow-member abhinav gupta. he owns a vrs and would be able to guide you!
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If bass is important get a 4ch. amp and a 12" sub. Later you can upgrade the front speakers, add a monoblock and upgrade rear speaker in that order.
Thanks for the suggestion Navin, what brand of amp and sub would you recommend? I guess I would also need damping, right?
Old 3rd November 2008, 20:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Navin properly said get a 4 channel amp and a 12" sub

No components because the front stock components are good enough and the sound would be good. ( Though can be upgraded later)
9830 has time alignment too with which you can fiddle a bit

I'd suggest you :

Ground Zero Sub : GZTW 12MKČ - 350 wrms 12 " sub - will cost you around 5.5k
4 channel JBL GTO 1004e - 9.5k grey. ( contact me if you want to buy one , i know some good shops)

Damping is not required in a Skoda.

Just you would require some wiring , box ( at an extra cost )

you can use 2 channels of the amp to power the sub and 2 channels of the amp to power the fronts.

The rears can be played through the HU or left out ( almost the same thing , they are crap)

That's what i feel fits the best in your budget

Later on upgrade options :

Monoblock to power the sub ,
Front components
Rear fills ( if you prefer voice from your back ) - atleast i dont.
Old 3rd November 2008, 21:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post

Navin properly said get a 4 channel amp and a 12" sub

No components because the front stock components are good enough and the sound would be good. ( Though can be upgraded later)
9830 has time alignment too with which you can fiddle a bit

I'd suggest you :

Ground Zero Sub : GZTW 12MKČ - 350 wrms 12 " sub - will cost you around 5.5k
4 channel JBL GTO 1004e - 9.5k grey. ( contact me if you want to buy one , i know some good shops)

Damping is not required in a Skoda.

Just you would require some wiring , box ( at an extra cost )

you can use 2 channels of the amp to power the sub and 2 channels of the amp to power the fronts.

The rears can be played through the HU or left out ( almost the same thing , they are crap)

That's what i feel fits the best in your budget

Later on upgrade options :

Monoblock to power the sub ,
Front components
Rear fills ( if you prefer voice from your back ) - atleast i dont.
Thanks Abhinav!
I am also in touch with Gunbir and Arush from Autopsyche and as usually happens in an ICE upgrade project my budget has already been stretched to 25k
Arush has suggested a Bull Audio set-up and is keen to show me the Bull Audio set-up he has in his wife's Corolla. He's suggesting comps up front and rear, a 4 Ch amp and a Bull Audio sub and install kit. I'm planning to drop in to his workshop and check out the set-up in the next few days.
Old 4th November 2008, 01:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good stuff ilovefls, when it comes to audio there is just one basic rule.... listen before you choose! You're more than welcome to come and audition my car anytime you like.
Old 5th November 2008, 21:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you want an audition of GZ and Illusion
I can help you with the same

Contact Low_bass_makker for more auditions
Old 5th November 2008, 21:44   #9
BHPian

Thanks Abhinav. Plan to listen to a few set-ups over the weekend, will get in touch with you if I need to audition GZ and Illusions
Old 11th November 2008, 18:50   #10
BHPian

Got the install done today! Mods - can you please edit the post to say Skoda Octavia vRS - ICED?
Went in for Bull Audio set-up, 6.5" components up front, 12" sub in the boot, 4 ch Amp and Hertz 5.25" co-axials for the rear. Will post some pics of the install and a more detailed review in some time. Going by first impressions though it sounds quite detailed and filling with rich bass and clear highs and mid bass. cheers:
The good thing is that the sub come pre-fabricated in a ported enclosure and the construction and the quality of material used is quite good, both in the sub as well as the components. Have retained the stock Alpine 9830 HU. The install was done at Arush's workshop - Autopsyche and it was a professional and clean install - pretty much what I expected
Old 11th November 2008, 19:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wooohoo, glad you liked the work. Im sure you must have spent an hour or two with your car parked in your houe enjoying the new sounds Cheers.
Old 11th November 2008, 23:05   #12
BHPian

Here's some pictures I took during the install, will upload a few more later. the pictures are for the Hertz coaxials in the rear, the Kenwood 4 ch amp and the Bull Audio ported 12" subwoofer.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions invited for ICE upgrade for Octavia vRS - currently stock-dsc00001.jpg  

Suggestions invited for ICE upgrade for Octavia vRS - currently stock-dsc00002.jpg  

Suggestions invited for ICE upgrade for Octavia vRS - currently stock-dsc00003.jpg  

Suggestions invited for ICE upgrade for Octavia vRS - currently stock-dsc00004.jpg  

Suggestions invited for ICE upgrade for Octavia vRS - currently stock-dsc00005.jpg  

Old 12th November 2008, 08:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey! I think the JBL wiring kit is fake.. anyways, when can i get an audition?

Suggestions invited for ICE upgrade for Octavia vRS - currently stock-dsc00001.jpg
Old 12th November 2008, 12:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

That fake JBL Kit is my electrician's pouch for carrying his allen key set.

Unfortunately for panky's enthusiasm, it served no purpose during the install
Old 12th November 2008, 13:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

hey come on arush! it was just an observation.. nothing personal! good to see this fake kit put to a better use :-)

so, ilovefls when am i getting an audition?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks