Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 16:09   #1
BHPian

Best combination of amps for 3 subs?

Hi,

I have two pioneer 10" subs, 1 JBL 12" sub, 1 pioneer 4 channel amp and 2 sets of kenwood components.

What else do i need to complete the setup? I mean how many amps do i need and what kind of wiring is required? Also, i am planning to go for KW-AVX810J from JVC .... is it fine or should i go for some other HU?
Old 4th November 2008, 16:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why do you want to put 3 subs? Why are they of different sizes?
Old 4th November 2008, 16:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I asked him the same question where he had posted this and suggested him to open a thread for this.

Now my question. do you wish to use up all the equipment and what is the kind of music do you listen to and prefer.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 4th November 2008 at 16:40.
Old 4th November 2008, 16:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't think you can combine 10'' subs with 12" subs and get good results. From what I've heard, we generally need to skip a size when pairing subs of different sizes. That is, 10" with 15", and 8" with 12" will be ok, but not 10" with 12". No first experience on this, though.

I'd suggest that you use just the two 10" subs or just the 12" sub. You can power the 2 pairs of comps with the 4 ch amp you already have, and get a mono for the sub/s. If you plan to use the two 10" subs, you can also get another 4ch amp and bridge it to 2 ch for use with them (instead of a mono).. This might be more economical.

You can probably get a 4awg power wire from the battery till the boot, terminate into a distribution block, and take two 8 awg cables from there to each amp. (I assume the amps are in the boot). You'll also need 3 pairs of RCA cables to send the signal from the HU to the amps.
Old 4th November 2008, 16:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Initially i thought of two - 12" ones, but then i had this 10" one already with me which i wanted to retain. (i can use it in my other car though) and keep 2 12" subs in this set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I asked him the same question where he had posted this and suggested him to open a thread for this.

Now my question. do you wish to use up all the equipment and what is the kind of music do you listen to and prefer.
Thanks Hemant...i can see things working out for me here. As i mentioned above, i will go for 2 12" amps and will move my current set-up in my other car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I don't think you can combine 10'' subs with 12" subs and get good results. From what I've heard, we generally need to skip a size when pairing subs of different sizes. That is, 10" with 15", and 8" with 12" will be ok, but not 10" with 12". No first experience on this, though.

I'd suggest that you use just the two 10" subs or just the 12" sub. You can power the 2 pairs of comps with the 4 ch amp you already have, and get a mono for the sub/s. If you plan to use the two 10" subs, you can also get another 4ch amp and bridge it to 2 ch for use with them (instead of a mono).. This might be more economical.

You can probably get a 4awg power wire from the battery till the boot, terminate into a distribution block, and take two 8 awg cables from there to each amp. (I assume the amps are in the boot). You'll also need 3 pairs of RCA cables to send the signal from the HU to the amps.
Thanks Hydrashok ... i will get another 12" sub and use these 2 in the set-up ... how many amps do i need now?

i was going through other threads ... what is a 1 ohm stable amp and is it critical? should i be bothered about it as per my set-up?

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th November 2008 at 17:18.
Old 4th November 2008, 20:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From what I've heard, we generally need to skip a size when pairing subs of different sizes. That is, 10" with 15", and 8" with 12" will be ok, but not 10" with 12". No first experience on this, though.
Lol no. There is no such rule, and it is not advisable to pair two different subwoofers - whether different size OR same size but different make/ model. In many applications, a 15" from one brand/ line/ model can be seen paired with a 15" or 12" or something of that sort from another, but both drivers will not be playing the same band. i.e. not both subwoofers.
Old 4th November 2008, 21:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Lol no. There is no such rule, and it is not advisable to pair two different subwoofers - whether different size OR same size but different make/ model. In many applications, a 15" from one brand/ line/ model can be seen paired with a 15" or 12" or something of that sort from another, but both drivers will not be playing the same band. i.e. not both subwoofers.
What does this mean? And can i use the configuration as i stated in my first post? How?
Old 4th November 2008, 22:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Whoops! Did not notice that we were talking about subs from different brands! Best not to mix two different brands. And thanks for the correction on the size-mixing, B&T. Guess I'm taking something I read someplace long back out of its original context.

@somubj, B&T is saying that you should not mix the Pio subs with the JBL sub. Either use just JBL or just Pio. If you want to use JBL itself (and use two subs), you'll need to get one more JBL sub of the same model.

Which car are you planning to ICE? I think you can get the job done with just the two 10" Pio subs you have with you. If that doesn't sound good enough, try the single JBL 12". If you want still more bass, get one more 12" sub from JBL (same model as the one you have). To try all this, perhaps a Monobloc amp will be a better option. Do you know what model Pio subs and JBL sub you have? Are they Dual Voice Coil or Single Voice Coil? If Dual VC, Dual 2Ohm or Dual 4Ohm?
Old 5th November 2008, 00:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Whoops! Did not notice that we were talking about subs from different brands! Best not to mix two different brands. And thanks for the correction on the size-mixing, B&T. Guess I'm taking something I read someplace long back out of its original context.

@somubj, B&T is saying that you should not mix the Pio subs with the JBL sub. Either use just JBL or just Pio. If you want to use JBL itself (and use two subs), you'll need to get one more JBL sub of the same model.

Which car are you planning to ICE? I think you can get the job done with just the two 10" Pio subs you have with you. If that doesn't sound good enough, try the single JBL 12". If you want still more bass, get one more 12" sub from JBL (same model as the one you have). To try all this, perhaps a Monobloc amp will be a better option. Do you know what model Pio subs and JBL sub you have? Are they Dual Voice Coil or Single Voice Coil? If Dual VC, Dual 2Ohm or Dual 4Ohm?
I am planning to ICE my lancer. I don't remember the exact model name as such but it is SVC.
Old 5th November 2008, 10:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
I have two pioneer 10" subs, 1 JBL 12" sub
One option would be to use 1 4 ch amp and a monoblock. Tune the 4 ch. amp to roll of the extreme lows and use the 10" for a midbass kick then drop in the 12" for the last octave dont worry about a slight overlap in the 60-80Hz region it might compensate for road noise.

Disclaimer: For this system to function well you have to ensure that all the subs are installed in seperate boxes and tuned accordingly. You could for example stuff the 10" subs in a bit a size too small. This will give a peak in the bass response but if you are rolling (HPF) of the subs (using the amp's XO) early say at 50-60Hz then the peak and the XO combination can lead to a resonably flat response.

Assumption: all subs are SVC or have 2 coils each of 2 ohms.

Quote:
If you plan to use the two 10" subs, you can also get another 4ch amp ..This might be more economical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Lol no. There is no such rule, and it is not advisable to pair two different subwoofers.
Quote:
Whoops! Did not notice that we were talking about subs from different brands!
Somubj, What subs do you currently have? 2 10" and 1 12" or 2 12" and 1 10" your subsequent post talks about 2 12" subs.

Dont worry about the sub brands and size. What matters is solely the T/S specs of the subs in question. In any case the question of different brands and sizes can be solved by judicious tuning and install (seperate boxes, different alignments, etc..). Dont be afraid to experiment. You learn more from failed projects than ones that work at first go. Just keep the laws of physics and electricity in mind.
Old 5th November 2008, 16:45   #11
BHPian

3 subs would be overkill for one car unless you like the effect or are in for SPL. as mentioned earlier it is not that you can't combine it. you can put them in seperate boxes with seperate amps and still use it. the smaller driver for higher frequencies like the 40-120hz in a bandpass box and the bigger one for 20-60hz in a sealed enclosure should have nice punch. the smaller one you could also limit to 80hz. though if you told us what music you listen to it would make it easier to put in combos. but please gurus correct me if i'm wrong. I would suggest a 4 channel amp bridged to the smaller driver and a monobloc for the bigger unit.
Old 5th November 2008, 18:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
the smaller driver for higher frequencies like the 40-120hz in a bandpass box and the bigger one for 20-60hz in a sealed enclosure should have nice punch.
Such close crossover frequencies and especially resulting in overlapping, are not recommended.
Old 5th November 2008, 18:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
3 subs would be overkill for one car unless you like the effect or are in for SPL. as mentioned earlier it is not that you can't combine it.
---
though if you told us what music you listen to it would make it easier to put in combos. but please gurus correct me if i'm wrong. I would suggest a 4 channel amp bridged to the smaller driver and a monobloc for the bigger unit.
I think i will go with 2 12" subs? I listen to trans, ghazals and rock - little bit of urban too.
Old 5th November 2008, 19:49   #14
BHPian

@ Navin - i am a novice when it comes to understanding audio related stuff.

I think i should go with 2 jbl's - both SVC. What should be the amp combination?

One 2 channel for 2 subs and one 4 channel for the comps?
Two monoblocks for 2 subs and one 4 channel for the comps?
Two 4 channels, one for 2 subs and one 4 channel for the comps?
Other combinations?

What will be the most cost effective yet best output configuration?
Old 5th November 2008, 21:56   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
@ Navin - i am a novice when it comes to understanding audio related stuff.

I think i should go with 2 jbl's - both SVC.
Two monoblocks for 2 subs and one 4 channel for the comps?
What will be the most cost effective yet best output configuration?
Get a 600W monoblock for the 2 subs and a 60x4 4 ch for front and rear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks