Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2008, 15:00   #1
BHPian

active subwoofer for NHC gxi

hi guys,
i've just bought a honda city zx gxi version and it has (u all know ) a decent alpine head unit with ipod compatibilty.
it has also got jbl speakers as the company claims.
ok now the system is decent for easy listening and my only concern is to add a little bass to it. i dont want to touch or rather mess with the orignal speakers if possible and i've thought abt adding a active subwoofer in the boot.(the head unit has got a connectio out for the amp)
i wanted to know a few questions though
1. can i without touching my existing speaker set-up just add this active subwoofer just for the bass? i dont need e too loud music system.
2. can i remove it if incase i have to g out for e long drive out of city?
3. or should i put e monoaural amp+subwoofer in a box?
4. waht would be the approximate cost of both the set ups?
5. my budget is around 10000..pls suggest. thanks
Old 4th December 2008, 16:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

If the HU has got a sub out, in your budget, the easiest would be to get a 2 channel amp, bridge it and power a 12" sub in a removable box.
Old 4th December 2008, 17:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Leaving 2k aside for wires, removable enclosure and installation, you have 8k remaining which can get you
1. Blaupunkt gta260/gt2 special for about 3.5k with bill n warranty
2. Ground zero titanium mk2 sub for 5.5k/jbl 1205 sub for 4k with b&w
Old 4th December 2008, 18:07   #4
BHPian

HONESTLY i do not like active subs.
so IMHO you can do two things on the amp front...
1. you can buy a 2 channel amp and keep it under the seat or mounted onto the rear seat and just have rca terminations in the boot so you can remove or put in the sub in the box.
2. buy a larger 4 channel amp and stick it under the seat the same way.
Now to answer other questions that will arise. the mono amp i feel is not really a necessity. waste of money. spend it on a better sub.
now the two scenarios will work as follows on the sub:
1. with the two channel amp you can get a 10inch SVC sub. put it in a box and leave it OR get an 8inch sub like the polk momo you could either put it in a box or on the rear space between the seat and glass. but correct me if i'm wrong. however it WILL involve cutting.
2. For the 4 channel get a DVC bridge it and run it. or get an SVC and feed it with max power. but gurus please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 4th December 2008, 19:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

A good 4 channel amp AND a good sub will not come within 10k. Also installation and wires and enclosure will add up to the final cost. Why get a dvc when a good svc, given enough power can suffice. He's not asking for a HUGE increase in bass, as far as I read into his demands, he,s looking for something subtle and not too overpowering
Old 4th December 2008, 19:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
amp i feel is not really a necessity. waste of money. spend it on a better sub
Id always think of spending on a better amp and just getting a regular sub.

Almost all the decent entry level subs are identical anyway. Amps on the other hand are like Apples and Oranges.
Old 4th December 2008, 22:43   #7
BHPian

@souljah i was talking about the monobloc. i believe you dont REALLY need a monobloc for an entry level sub without amplifying the rest of the system too.
Old 4th December 2008, 23:12   #8
BHPian

hey thanks guys i think looking at your suggestions, i will go for a 2 cahnnel amp and a sub woofer. now i have e small query is it ok if i dont add any of my speakers to the amp and just connect the sub?
see as frankmehta says i dont want a overpowering system just something subtle .
Old 5th December 2008, 00:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

you cant add anything else to a 2 channel amp. you see, in our budget amps, 2 channels are required to run one sub or say a pair of components/coaxials. so if you get a 2 channel amp, then there is no possibility of running another pair of speakers other than the sub. what are the options you looking at?
Old 5th December 2008, 10:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@souljah i was talking about the monobloc. i believe you dont REALLY need a monobloc for an entry level sub without amplifying the rest of the system too.
This is why I dont have a Monobloc... yet!

Im saying get a better amp than spending on a better sub. Even the basic pioneer will do the job at the end of the day.
Old 5th December 2008, 11:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i believe you dont REALLY need a monobloc for an entry level sub without amplifying the rest of the system too.
Monoblocks (for subs) are desinged to drive subs. They are designed to dump current into highly inductive (reactive) loads. A monoblock will control most subs better than a comparable (in Watts and circuit topology) bridged stereo amp. But Monoblocks cost more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Almost all the decent entry level subs are identical anyway. Amps on the other hand are like Apples and Oranges.
Entry level subs are not identical. Just listen to a Sony, Pioneer or JBL to name 3. Same with Hertz, Illusion and probably brands like Bull Audio (I have not heard Bull Audio yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
A good 4 channel amp AND a good sub will not come within 10k.
Try the classifieds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
i will go for a 2 cahnnel amp and a sub woofer. now i have e small query is it ok if i dont add any of my speakers to the amp and just connect the sub?
Yes you can do that. Only the sub but make sure the 2 ch. amp you get is bridgeable and make sure that your sub is a 4 ohm load (either 4 ohms SVC or 2/8 ohms DVC - I prefer the former).
Old 5th December 2008, 12:01   #12
BHPian

I understand and agree to both navinji and souljah. monobloc is out of question unless you can find a good used one from the classifieds. but i would say buy brand new. a good 2 channel and a SVC sub should fit. my sincere request STAY AWAY from SONY. please.
Old 5th December 2008, 12:50   #13
BHPian

hey thanks a lot guys. i've made up my mind to go for a 2 or 4 channel good amp(i have JBL on my mind how is it?) lets see what i get for 5500/= max +a good subwoofer for around 5000/= something like jbl or hertz lets see +good wiring+an enclosed box for the sub.
thanks guys
Old 5th December 2008, 15:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
HONESTLY i do not like active subs.
I know what you meant but for the record any subwoofer that has a dedicated amplifer is an active sub. passive subs are usually just passive radiators.
Old 5th December 2008, 15:22   #15
BHPian

True but the last time i checked the active ones available were running 8-in units and didn't really have the punch or the power except for maybe an 800 or similar. ALSO for the record ACTIVE subs as seen by the industry of sales as units that come with an integrated amp. they are designed to be small to make them easy to stow away and get rid of.
@vin yes the JBL is a good amp but see if you can pull the GTO series ones. the GT5's are a little lacking in power though they are cheaper and look good in specs. ALSO look at kenwood, pioneer, blaupunkt and hifonics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks