Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 15:12   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
I have Sony Hi Fi system at my home. Well those speakers are 4 incher. And they kick out some serious bass. But when it comes to the car audio, 4 inchers are always looked upon in suspicion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I wish I could get the sub from my Cambridge SoundWorks system into my car. It's like 8 inches, but it has blown a window pane off from my room one time.
1. Most 4" will have limited displacement. One of the best 4" drivers I know (Jordan's JX92) is alos limited in the bass. What you probably hear is a midbass bosst that gives the impression of bass.

2. Some months back my couins was looking for a small Home Theater system and we did audition a Sony system along with many others (HK/JBL, Denon/KEF, Bose, etc...) and sadly neither of us were impressed with Sony. She finally settled for the Denon/KEF 3005 combo. I have not been impressed with a Sony audio product for a long time (their ES series of integrated amps was the last decent product I remember if you discount me using their PS3 as a CD player). I really wish I was, becuase Sony does a lot of things especially ergonomics right.

3. A car enviroment is very different from a home. In a home you can get some boundary reinforcement. In a car you dont get the same. A car is a mix of acoustically extreme surfaces from very reflective glass to very absorbant seats. Then add road noise and electrical noise and the fact that any car speaker has to made of materials that are UV resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Totally agree. Same goes for engine, and same for speakers
To some degree. I have not been impressed by the musicality of the bog Xax woofers. When I ssay big Xmax I al talking of the latest trends of pushig a woofer to a displacement of 20mm+. Most tiimes these woofers have very heavy cones (see their Mms numbers) and hence their Bl/Mms ratio is abysmal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
I had a pair of Acoustic research's in my car for a while (dont ask why ) but then a pair of 6x9's sounded better. Both running from the HU
There you have it. Even a simple pair of 6x9 can outperform a well known speaker brand. Disclaimer: AR is not the brand today it once was. Iceman91, which ARs were these. I once owned a pair each of AR 2ax and 3a.
Google Image Result for http://www.antiqueradio.com/images/Oct06-Hayden-Fig2.jpg
Old 18th December 2008, 16:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Navin, these were AR s10's I had them for my rear surrounds in my room.
Got rid of my car system and was using these for the time being. Hence they were being run direct with the HU.
At home they were powered by a yamaha.

Features and specs on Acoustic Research AR S10 Main / Stereo Speaker - Home Theater Speakers and Subwoofers - Shopping.com
Old 18th December 2008, 17:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
I have read a number of times that 4 inchers can not produce good sound. Everybody prefers bigger speakers.

When a home system can do justice to the sound ( I seriously say that.), why cant the car speakers?
Firstly, "good sound" is a very relative term. In all possibility, when you have heard that 4" cannot produce good sound, it is probably said wrt to 6", which means not that 4" are bad, but that 6" are better.

"Serious bass" is not usually a term associated with audiophile speakers and that is why for serious bass, we have subwoofers to reproduce those low frequencies.

Secondly, car audio is a whole different ball game altogether. In home audio, you will always have far more choices with placement of speakers when compared to any car. That will make a big difference in sound. In a home, you'll never have the tweeter frequencies bouncing off the windscreen glass, inches away from most stock placements! IMO, it is pointless to even attempt to compare a car audio setup with home.

Then, factors like room size, accoustics, materials, etc. all come into play (as has been pointed out by Navin)

Dedicated car speakers will almost always sound better than home theatre speakers put in a boot; for one, there will be no real front soundstage!

4" speakers will also have lower power handling when compared to bigger speakers, and this in turn will affect fidelity. If "serious bass" is what you want, this is anyway the job of a subwoofer; 4 inchers or 6 inchers will do the midbass!

The kind of music you listen to will also make a big difference on your opinion of what sounds "good". For someone who wants clean vocals, great soundstage and imaging, etc. and someone who loves door rattling hip-hop, the definition of "good sound" will be radically different.

The most sensible thing to do is carry your brand of music, listen to what it sounds best on and then, without argument, that is what is best for YOU. Debates about what is best may be endless, but what will never change is that "the best", depends entirely on what that person likes, can hear, understand and appreciate. Nobody can decide what is "the best or better" for YOU, except YOU.

If a 20K system comprising 4" speakers, no amp, etc. is what most appeals to you, why even bother arguing its case against a 10Lakh system with 3-way components, 4 amps, 2 subs, etc.?
Old 18th December 2008, 17:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nitin - Can you give a link to the Creative speaker you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18
Firstly, "good sound" is a very relative term. In all possibility, when you have heard that 4" cannot produce good sound, it is prob
4" speakers will also have lower power handling when compared to bigger speakers, and this in turn will affect fidelity. If "serious bass" is what you want, this is anyway the job of a subwoofer; 4 inchers or 6 inchers will do the midbass!
why even bother arguing its case against a 10Lakh system with 3-way components, 4 amps, 2 subs, etc.?

Secretly kisise "tutor" technology ka tuition le rahe ho kya?
Old 18th December 2008, 17:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post

Secretly kisise "tutor" technology ka tuition le rahe ho kya?
Bevda hermit Just read this on frankmehta's post

Le to tum meri rahe ho

Last edited by vikram18 : 18th December 2008 at 17:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks