Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Piggybacking on existing JVC DVD Player.

Gurus, I have a JVC DVD system already installed in my Marina. But since it didnot come with a cassette player and I was missing my old faithful cassette collection a lot I decieded to put in another system for the cassettes alone.
I have bought a used JVC (unit from a chrysler) cassette system. It has out plugs for connecting to a CD player at the rear. My query is can I connect it as a piggyback unit onto my exising unit? I mean can I connect it to the existing JVC unit and play my cassettes when I want to through the existing set up?
help. Any pointers on some one who can do a good satisfactory job of the above in Delhi will also be very appreciable.
Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

If the cassette player has a line out, you can connect it to the aux in of the DVD player. Else you might need to have a speaker to line level converter and then connect it to Aux in. I don't think you can use the CD plugs because it will be essentially an Aux in for the cassette player.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Don't think you can connect the cassette player through the cd changer interface. See if there is a pre-out in the cassette player that can be connected to the DVD aux in. Else get a cassette player with a pre-out.
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

How do I check if it has a preout? It does have an AUX IN slot in the front and if I have a preout on the dvd player will it work?
Old 2nd January 2009, 19:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
How do I check if it has a preout? It does have an AUX IN slot in the front and if I have a preout on the dvd player will it work?
No, it won't. If you want to use the cassette player and it has no pre-out, you can get a speaker to line level converter and take its output to the Aux in of the DVD player.
After all, is it really worth it? Why don't you try and burn a CD out of your cassette collection and use it in the existing DVD player? Lot of people can do this for you.
Old 2nd January 2009, 23:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
you can get a speaker to line level converter and take its output to the Aux in of the DVD player.
Can someone please explain it in plain english? I mean could you describe the set up please?
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Can someone please explain it in plain english? I mean could you describe the set up please?
Your cassette player will have a speaker output for sure. Feed this into a device called "Speaker to Line Level Converter". This will convert the signals to a pre-amp level. This can be fed into the AUX IN of your DVD player and you can listen to your cassettes by playing it in the cassette player and selecting AUX in the DVD player. I'm not sure about the cost of this device, but it should be in the region of 1000-2000 Rs. I know that Scosche makes such a device.

Again, if you ask me, it probably is not worth doing all this. You will also have to make modifications on the fascia to accomodate the additional player as I understand the Marina does not have a double DIN opening on the dash. Why don't you look at the option of converting your collection on the cassettes to CDs. It can be done easily in any of the audio/video editing shops. Saves you the hassle of doing all these mods and also protect you against the deteriorating quality of magnetic cassettes.
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture of the device
Attached Thumbnails
Piggybacking on existing JVC DVD Player.-s-l-converter.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2009, 13:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ok now I understand. Let me see now on how to get the thing going.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks