Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 13:26   #16
BHPian

Nice looking HU but IMHO the original ford HU was matching the interior better. If I was in your place, I would have got the original HU modded to play MP3 cd's as well as a front AUX input fitted in front panel. It only require cd mechanism, lens and decoder chip change.
Old 21st January 2009, 13:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
... It only require cd mechanism, lens and decoder chip change.
Interesting. Did you get it done from somewhere? I thought lens and decoder are part of the CD mechanism itself.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Interesting. Did you get it done from somewhere? I thought lens and decoder are part of the CD mechanism itself.
Yes lens is part or mechanism but sold seperately also and decoder chip is not part of mechanism, its in the main PCB. In my city there is a market where only electronic items are sold and repaired. As an electronic hobbyist in past I used to go there often for parts and seen people getting their audio cs players getting converted to play mp3 and even video cd. People who do the conversion are generally technicians who repair AV systems.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:26   #19
BHPian

conversions

The thought of getting the original Ford HU modded to read MP3 did cross my mind and I put up the same query on the TBHP ICE forum, but then many advised against it, because if the technician goofs up, you can't really do anything with the HU, not even try selling it with a 6CDC albeit at a much lower price.
True that the ford OEM HU blends well with the interiors, I looked around for the closest resembling HU, and thats how I chanced on the DPX MP5110U , but another reason that made me go in was that the OEM HU was a tad drab.
Ford may make very good cars, but Ford ICE isn't so cool

I wonder how many have tried getting their conventional ACD players to play MP3 via the PCB mod?.Will the playback be as good as the real stuff?.

Note from mod : Do not use more than 2 smileys per post

Last edited by tsk1979 : 22nd January 2009 at 09:26.
ascertain is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
... People who do the conversion are generally technicians who repair AV systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
... because if the technician goofs up, you can't really do anything with the HU, ...
I wonder how many have tried getting their conventional ACD players to play MP3 via the PCB mod?.Will the playback be as good as the real stuff?. ...
Please do not trivialize the conversion problem.

The essential differences between ACD and MP3 players, apart from the reconstruction of the analog information from the digital stream, are:
1. In ACD's, there is no concept of files and directories - just tracks (files) in one single level directory. MP3 files are organized like conventional mass storage, with - theoretically - no limit of nesting of directories
2. ACD players have a simple display: "Track XX" and / or "99:99" (elapsed or remaining time). MP3 needs at least the filename to be displayed, with ID tag information as another possibility, apart from the elapsed / remaining time

So, though theoretically it is possible to change the controller module inside the HU, the whole exercise is futile since the display will not support the new board / requirements. It is a different matter for someone who is the least bit interested in looking at the display (who cares when all I do is listen to a 120-song MP3 compilation of Lata Mangeshkar or Chamkeela songs, eh?) of a CD player, and an entirely different problem set for an HU for people who organize their music and create playlists.

BTW, the lens is the same for ACD and MP3 (even DVD) players. With all the other changes needed, it is better to replace the unit itself. Otherwise, one is reminded of the old adage: "Penny wise, Pound foolish"
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:21   #21
BHPian

Agree with you DerAlte! Most of the time every component inside (entire PCB) may need to be changed to play MP3 and still most front panel buttons and display will not work correct. Its better to change HU if someone wants no nonsense stuff however modding existing ACD player was purely my own opinion (I wrote "If I was in your place" ) so its different people with different thinking The main reason behing modding was to maintain original look of dashboard.
Old 25th March 2009, 19:42   #22
BHPian

Dude thats one of the Best 2 Din HU's i have seen.Have you paired it with a bluetooth adapter.Could anyone help me find a similar HU with bluetooth assembly in Chennai.
Old 8th April 2009, 11:06   #23
BHPian

Not yet

No manjith- no bluetooth adapter pairing done yet- though it is on the wishlist. I never answer calls while driving (My wife finds it quite amazing that I don't!). So never had the need for a BT adapter. I'm actually looking at a nice new GPS system before anything else.
Old 8th April 2009, 18:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

The HU does look very bling
What about the rest of the install?
Old 8th April 2009, 21:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

what is the price of this hu,recently kenwood was selling some double din hu (mrp 12990/-) at 50% discount is this the same.
Old 8th April 2009, 22:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
what is the price of this hu,recently kenwood was selling some double din hu (mrp 12990/-) at 50% discount is this the same.

No karan... i think that was the older model of Kenwood..DPX MP2100. As far as I have heard, the 2008 Lineup has not undergone any price change, and retails at around 14.5K with B&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
The HU does look very bling
What about the rest of the install?

Well.. I have not fiddled around with the other stuff as such.. Stock speakers still, because they give surprisingly good output, any change will take place toward the end of this year only (if at all), since I dont go in for very loud music, no amp/sub till now.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th April 2009 at 14:24. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 14th April 2009, 11:26   #27
BHPian

at 9.5k it seems to be a very sweet deal.. and a better feature set than the pio 6050 double din

Though how would it fare SQ wise to a Single Din 6539...?
Old 14th April 2009, 11:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

This is 14.5k and not 9.5k Gaurav.
I guess the 6539 would be better in SQ Terms than this one.
Anyone having heard both with similar equipment?
Old 14th April 2009, 11:43   #29
BHPian

9.5k (Grey) bhai.. limits... and i love them
Old 15th April 2009, 12:01   #30
BHPian

Cosmetics

Well.. before buying the Kenwood 2 DIN HU, I did consider the Pioneer 6050 2 DIN, The pio looked sexy with its piano black finish( But then I hadn't seen the Kenny then). I considered SQ, Looks and feature set, and Thats where the Kenwood beat the Pio hands down. This HU is really value for money at 9.5 K. Don't even think about anything else if you are looking for a 2 DIN HU for your car- pick up this one IF you can get it!

Single DIN vs Double DIN.. well- It's all a matter of choice really. I don't like having a big vacant area in the centre console- so for me the choice was pretty easy- it was 2DIN all the way.

You can audition various HUs- I did that too!- but this one blew me away, and I stuck to it.. Again- it's a matter of taste.
If you like 'booming' music - Pio may be better, If you like crisp & clear output- Kenwood's for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks