Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 21:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY blaupunkt Aux adapter

was helping a friend tune his blau MP27 HU when we came across the fact that it has an aux input. he was overjoyed , and dashed off to an ICE shop to get a cable installed. thankfully, they had the same thing on one of the show cases, and it turns out that there is no 3.5mm jack in the back, but some sort of funny socket , and some sort of strange cable is required

got hold of the pinout for it
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man...023AUXIN1R.PDF
was wondering if using a 3.5mm jack to three metal connectors ( or whatever it is that actually makes the connection within the jack, since the jack itself is not available ) from a motherboard audio connector , and connecting these directly to the pins of the socket will work.

Of course , I still havent recieved the go ahead from him for this , not sure he will, since he doesnt like DIY at all- he bought the HU and speakers( for MRP, against my advice ) from the dealer because he was afraid of losing warranty.
Old 18th January 2009, 10:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Blau aux-in socket in the back needs some kinda proprietary jack of theirs. The 'jack' is actually a plastic connector that snaps into the socket. The 'jack' has short wires running from it, that terminate in RCA sockets. We can connect an RP to RCA cord to these RCA jacks.

This is how the Blau guy got an aux-in into my old Casablanca. He made the contraption as I sat with him. The 'jack' and the cords ending in RCA jacks were separate spares he pulled out of his spare-bin. I got the impression different Blau HUs have different configurations of terminating the wires with the RCA jacks, from what he was muttering to himself. I should have taken pics back then :(
Old 18th January 2009, 11:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... and it turns out that there is no 3.5mm jack in the back, ...
There never is. Probably no model has a 3.5mm at the back; some do in the front.
Quote:
... but some sort of funny socket , and some sort of strange cable is required...
The 'funny' and 'strange' bits are a result of standardization for the sake of robust connections! The other pins (13-18 in connector C3, corr. to 2, 3, 5, 7 & 8 in your diagram) are for connecting the CD changer data and supply, so it is easy to use the single blue connector to stabilize the socket pins (prevent them from jiggling around).
Quote:
... was wondering if using a 3.5mm jack to three metal connectors ( or whatever it is that actually makes the connection within the jack, since the jack itself is not available ) from a motherboard audio connector , and connecting these directly to the pins of the socket will work.
One definitely can, but not with what you are intending to use. MB socket pins are meant for 2.5mm pitch square (0.5mm sq) pin headers, whereas if you look closely, the pins on the HU connector are rectangular (2x0.4mm I think) pins. If you can find socket pins suitable for this, that's what you should use. However, you have to think of something to prevent the socket pin from jiggling around too much when the cable shakes.
Old 18th January 2009, 11:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There never is. Probably no model has a 3.5mm at the back; some do in the front.
did you mean about blaupunkt HU's. I've seen 3.5mm sockets in the back of some other brand HU's
Quote:
One definitely can, but not with what you are intending to use. MB socket pins are meant for 2.5mm pitch square (0.5mm sq) pin headers, whereas if you look closely, the pins on the HU connector are rectangular (2x0.4mm I think) pins. If you can find socket pins suitable for this, that's what you should use. However, you have to think of something to prevent the socket pin from jiggling around too much when the cable shakes.
didnt have a good look at the pins. that might be needed. Was thinking of using some thermocol to keep the pins in place.

In the meantime , fingers crossed and hope that my DIY averse friend gives me the go ahead

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th January 2009 at 11:40.
Old 18th January 2009, 17:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Blaupunkt definitely, and all others that I have come across so far (I am not an expert! ).
Old 18th January 2009, 18:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

can you show a front picture of that socket. i think this is available in electronics market, better to use it to prevent short circuiting. or open the case and take a direct connection out of the unit. i had done like that with my jvc head unit.
Old 9th April 2009, 06:57   #7
BHPian

I had done that for my Longbeach cassete player sometime back. The original cable costs 600rs and i decided to build my own. the rear pinouts are mentioned on the HU itself (usually stuck on the top).

The head unit's rear male connector has flat pins (~1.5mm width) protruding from the socket and hooking with right connector is not hard. I took out few base seating of an IC socket and found to be perfect for hooking to the connector pin. These clips are very delicate and needs to be handled with care. Solder each pin to the leads of shielded cable and make sure to use liberal amount of solder to strengthen the pins. The clips were not strong and once out of the IC socket, it lost its pin holding capacity. I put short lengths of plastic sleeves (used the same shielded cable outer sleeve) on to the clips to hold the clip tight. This would serve as insulation also. The other end of the cable can be soldered to a standard 3.5mm stereo connector. Once done, the cable is ready.

Connecting the clips to the socket is a bit tricky and needs patience, especially since the pins are a bit recessed into the socket cavity. Connect the center pin - 18 first, then 19 and finally 20. (Thanks to the well documented connector details on the Head Unit itself). The head unit connector pins are pretty strong and will hold the clips. Now the clips cannot hold the cable in place, so it needs to be tied to the head unit. I used a cable tie to fix the cable to the back of the head unit. Route the cable through the back of the dash board and its ready to pick up aux signal! I used a 1 meter shielded cable and it is more than sufficient. The total cost of the cable – Rs 25/-
Old 17th April 2009, 16:48   #8
BHPian

Does anyone know if we can connect a IPOD or take out a Aux. Input on a Sony Car MP3 player 5500x. I currently don't want to buy another player but love the Idea of playing thru a USB thumb drive or a IPOD shuffle.
Old 18th April 2009, 22:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sony 5500x does not have any provision for USB. The only way you can interface an iPod would be to connect via iPod's EP socket to the CD Changer Audio input of the HU (Aux-in). Check the manual for the pin nos. and type of socket that you can connect to.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks