Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2005, 22:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Subwoofer mounting help needed

guys,

in the skoda is it advisible to mount the sub-W on the tray itself or should i get a sub-w box made and keep it in the boot ?

i know having a box in a boot gives me the flexibility of removing it whenever there is luggage but then what i want to know is about the music part !

how will the bass be affected in both scenarios ? which is a better option musically ?

the sub-w is a 12 inch pioneer 340.....

waiting............
Old 28th April 2005, 00:16   #2
BANNED

music wise the woofer in the box is the best way to go for sure.
orelse u got 2 ways to do this. either put on the tray or behind the rear seats. free air you should know how the music is since in the ikon you had the same setup i think. go for the box one and install another woofer as well for the best outcome
Old 28th April 2005, 00:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Subs on the tray in a skoda can never give the kinda bass that boxes can. Did two skodas yesterday, one with 3 x 12" woofers in a box, and another one with 2 x 15" on the tray. And the box sounded so much better anyday. The tray doesnt provide any kinda enclousre to subs at all inspite of the big boot and the end result is weakened bass. And like jesal said, id suggest a second sub too. What amps are u planning to use anyway?
Old 28th April 2005, 01:37   #4
bhp
BHPian

n_c one of my friend s has 2 12'' sub s in a custom made boom box in his boot . believe me u should also go for it bcoz it kicks good bass
Old 28th April 2005, 01:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a sub woofer box fitted in the trunk of my accord.... no ways was i going to cut the tray so this was my best option...have mounted the amp on the woofer box too.... just wonder sometimes which is the correct position to place the woofer in the trunk? Also the good part abt having the box is that i can have it detached (i have the clip system plug)whenever i want to increase boot space.
Old 28th April 2005, 07:49   #6
BHPian

hey buddy ive installed an audio system in a skoda and no way are you going to get the punch out of the woofer when its on the tray...get a box with two air vents on each side and the woofer in the middle..since your installing a pioneer woofer then 944 is the way to go...hehe...cheers...!!
Old 28th April 2005, 07:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey dude...don't mount the sub on the tray...the effect won't be good and the tray will keep vibrating making noise..or replace the OE tray with a wood or something like that...

i my octy tho'..the sub is in the boot...or keep the sub in the boot and remove the tray..i think it'll be better
Old 28th April 2005, 10:44   #8
Team-BHP Support

tray's are usually flimsy (though made of fiberglass the section is too thin and the tray too large). you would have to make a tray of MDF or marine ply and i doubt if the hatch's hydraulics will be able to carry the weight of the wood board and the sub(s). the advantage of tray mount is that it occupies little space. and you dont have to remove the sub everytime you need the trunk. besides for a tray mount you have to choose a sub that is designed for free air operation.

a box offers a more controlled enviroment. this usually translates to better defnied bass. not i say defnition not volume. however a box takes up room and it is not always convienent to remove the box and put it back when you need the extra room.

3 other alternates.
make a fiberglass mount fot the sub and reinforce the tray with resin bonded fiberglass mat and sheet. this is messy but you can learn more from
http://www.glassmanscustomforum.com/

Use 2 8" bass tubes. this would offer you almost the same response as 1 12". the 8" bass tubes can be tucked into the sides.

lastly if you can lay your hands on MTX's thundeforms the one they make for the Jetta will work for your Octavia. see
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/pro...es/JETTA10.cfm

what i have done....
Opel Sail - reinforced fiberglass tray with resin bonded fiberglass. the tray now supports 4 6" woofers.
Octavia RS - 2 8" bass tubes.

you might have other choices too. see caraudio.com and carstereo.com for installs done by other car audio accifionados.

Last edited by navin : 28th April 2005 at 10:52.
Old 29th April 2005, 16:39   #9
Team-BHP Support

This is how I have setup a woofer in my Zen

Old 29th April 2005, 17:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

guys, can i use a 12" 305F pioneer (free air) sub woofer on an mdf tray in my ikon. the amp wud be a pioneer 6000F. or shud i go for the mdf box. i'm thinking about the tray fitment because the subwoofer is a free air type one. pls. help
Old 29th April 2005, 17:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

you can put it on the back but need a good plank for it...will not give you the "thump" of a sub in a box....
Old 29th April 2005, 17:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
will not give you the "thump" of a sub in a box....
since , its a free air type subwoofer, dont u think that its thump in a free air environment like the tray wud be better than an enclosed area like a box. there is a different version ' 305 C' of the same subwoofer which is meant to be in an enclosure. thats what the C refers to. just my belief. any different theories on this one, ice??
Old 30th April 2005, 21:01   #13
BHPian

Send me a PM with your mail address I will mail you a pic of my skoda sub box.

Satyam.
Old 1st May 2005, 23:20   #14
Team-BHP Support

hey sbfx why not post it for everyone's benefit?
Old 27th August 2008, 13:41   #15

Dude,

The best way to go forward and get good bass is to get the custom box made for the woofer and also go and put the Acrylic sheet onto the top this would surely give you the kind of Bass you would be looking for hope this would answer a question of your's.

Regards,
Muzik is my passion

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks