Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 23:59   #16
BHPian

I am not an expert but i think if tuning is done properly underpowering or overpowering will never damage anything. Even i was not convinced with underpowering until i heard some setups. One of them being abhibh setup where hes under powering 500W sub and it plays without a hickup. NO matter whether SUB level -15 or + 15. NO clipping or anything. Plays clean mean and GREEN hehehttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Old 10th February 2009, 01:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

true. thats totally true. a well tuned system may not stress the speakers that much, but our motive here on team bhp is always to advice a person about the pros and cons of the setup that he/she has decided upon. we dont force them to buy what we suggest, by holding them from the scruff of their necks.
for everyone who feels 180W rms to a 350W rms sub is good, then so be it. to each, his own. but the right advice would be to feed slightly more power to the driver, hence prolonging its life. my advice is to upgrade the sub for now, but also keep in mind that an amp upgrade will do it a whole lot of good and allow you to realize its true potential.
my 2 paise!
Old 10th February 2009, 08:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveal_da_zeal View Post
I am not an expert but i think if tuning is done properly underpowering or overpowering will never damage anything. Even i was not convinced with underpowering until i heard some setups. One of them being abhibh setup where hes under powering 500W sub and it plays without a hickup. NO matter whether SUB level -15 or + 15. NO clipping or anything. Plays clean mean and GREEN hehe
True. That's why setting the gains properly is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
but if there is no clipping then how will it damage the driver.\,
and say if a driver is rated 50wrms to 150 rms can't it handle more power and same
will 25 wrms will damge it
Even if you are running a 150w to the speaker, consider this, when you have the volume turned down, you are supplying less power to the speaker... does this damage the speaker? No!

Clipping is one of the things that will lead to thermal failure, which is what usually kills a speaker.

Last edited by gunbir : 10th February 2009 at 08:34.
Old 10th February 2009, 14:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post

Even if you are running a 150w to the speaker, consider this, when you have the volume turned down, you are supplying less power to the speaker... does this damage the speaker? No!

Clipping is one of the things that will lead to thermal failure, which is what usually kills a speaker.
exactly my point but i wanted frank to clear this how a driver will go kaput,with low power and more power .

some fellow bhpians including me are using compos which are rated 150wrms and are geting around the double say 300wrms are working no are kicking.

and same underpower the driver will damage it noo,like every one on the forum know LBMhe is using gz plutonium which is rated @10000wrmw and is getting only 2400?
Old 10th February 2009, 15:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
exactly my point but i wanted frank to clear this how a driver will go kaput,with low power and more power .

some fellow bhpians including me are using compos which are rated 150wrms and are geting around the double say 300wrms are working no are kicking.

and same underpower the driver will damage it noo,like every one on the forum know LBMhe is using gz plutonium which is rated @10000wrmw and is getting only 2400?
You just stole words out of my mouth

Frank you are right that we all are underpowering the sub and not using its full potential etc but tuning helps a lot.

Check this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...implified.html

Next time i am gonna use Oscilloscope to set gains

And Frank it think your cousin might have liked JBL because of its BOOMY nature.
Old 10th February 2009, 15:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well frank, i beg to differ with you. I had a Polk sub in my car initially which blew up. Then i was looking at both JBL and JL 12W1 to replace it. JL just blew away the JBL and Polk in clarity, SQ and tight bass. JBL was a lot more boom boom and SPL. In you like tight bass, JL is the one for you.

And, i give my JL just 180W from my Inifinity 475a.
Old 10th February 2009, 15:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

everyone here is right, i think. if we speak of low volumes even with more powerful amps, then we ARE underpowering the subs.
but speak of underpowered subs, and then pushing the amp to its limits, the clipped signal can kill the sub if the signal is sustained for long periods of time, and the frequency of this cruelty on the sub is high!

i was doing a bit of reading about this. its a matter of opinion. some say underpowering stresses the spider, coil etc, and some say overpowering does the same!
to each his own, as for me, the next upgrade has been made, keeping the 'headroom' i spoke of, a few posts ago. i like to play it safe, and will want to utilise the maximum potential of the sub and the amp, and hence giving both of them a slightly higher life!
Old 10th February 2009, 16:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Every thing remians safe until we do not abuse it.

I was running a 10000 watts rms sub with a 2400 rms amp it mean it will not damage the sub but the sub is not running at it full potential. But if we run a 1000 rms sub with a 1200 rms amp with correct gain setting then nothing will fail and it will be good.
Old 10th February 2009, 17:11   #24
BHPian

can we get back to the topic now ?
Old 10th February 2009, 17:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
can we get back to the topic now ?
If you want SQ get the JL sub. But that's just me.
Old 10th February 2009, 17:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
If you want SQ get the JL sub. But that's just me.
There are many brands except JL. It all depends on ones listening tastes.
Old 10th February 2009, 17:47   #27
BHPian

Once I read from another forum that the giving too low power to the Sub will destroy the sub over a period of time. But i am not sure of that ratio what is the perfect one. And also the less diff in RMS of AMP and SUB will give you more suitable
For ex: RMS 200(amp) with 250(Sub) is more suitable than RMS150(RMS) with 250(SUB)
Old 10th February 2009, 20:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Once I read from another forum that the giving too low power to the Sub will destroy the sub over a period of time.
That is absolutely not true.
Old 11th February 2009, 11:38   #29
BHPian

How good are the JL audio and infinity subs compared to GZ TW MK2 ?

This ID sub also fits into my budget: Image Dynamics CTX124 - Image Dynamics 12" CTX 4 ohm Subwoofer
I've read great reviews about the CTX comps but didn't find anything about this sub. Any ideas ?
Old 11th February 2009, 11:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

this one looks slightly underspecced Aditya. you would be better off with the JL if you ever heard it. the MK2 is always there. try the Polk 12 inchers, you might get some in your budget. i remember seeing an offer in crutchfield where you get 2 for the price of one. in fact, at that price, even one looked a steal.
just go to crutchfield specials and check it out. buy both, keep one, sell the other.
anyways, listen, do you plan to upgrade to a mono or something?

EDIT: Polk/MOMO MM2124 12" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Last edited by frankmehta : 11th February 2009 at 12:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks