Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 20:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

since he was considering a 6539, which will cost about as much as a 4ch amp + the ipod cable . He doesnt seem to be too interested in buying online.
Old 12th February 2009, 22:25   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Does JBL make non-oval rear speakers?
I just don't feel like dealing with the whole paint process i.e. matching / mixing and getting it painted and then not having a good finsih etc.
1. Most modern round speakers are designed (if you look at the T/S parameters) for the door and ovals for the rear deck. Such is life.

2. you paint the existing grill of any speaker (it is usually perforated metal). For my mom's car we painted the grill of her subwoofer to include a 8" high Infinity logo. Yes that would be a Trademark infrigement but this was DIY and one of and I figured Sam would forgive me.
Old 12th February 2009, 23:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

I recommend the ovals as it will be doing the bass duty also as only with front compos you will not get enough of bass or low end. The ovals can be cleanly installed with out any issue and they work perfectly in a free air applications.
Old 12th February 2009, 23:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
another alternative would be to lose the HU as a whole , and use an ipod+amp, with the ipod kept hidden somewhere
Nice Idea, but how would I end up hiding the audio unit opening. Plus a convinience of a digital display is always nice.

Quote:
since he was considering a 6539, which will cost about as much as a 4ch amp + the ipod cable . He doesnt seem to be too interested in buying online.
And how much would the 6539 run me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2. you paint the existing grill of any speaker (it is usually perforated metal). For my mom's car we painted the grill of her subwoofer to include a 8" high Infinity logo. Yes that would be a Trademark infrigement but this was DIY and one of and I figured Sam would forgive me.
Hmmmm.... I know it sounds easy but I am still apprehensive espescially since the arduous painting process I have gone through with the car. I would like to keep it as simple as possible at this point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I recommend the ovals as it will be doing the bass duty also as only with front compos you will not get enough of bass or low end. The ovals can be cleanly installed with out any issue and they work perfectly in a free air applications.
Okay, I guess ovals it is then. I would have preffered the clean look of round speakers in the back, but I guess this may not be possible. Any suggestions on what JBL model to demo. And just to humor me - What round JBL's would you recommend so I can see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Well the drinks / dinner is on me if you get Mr. Tyre Walah to install this in his newly bought 1.1 Getz
Bribe me with some Talisker 18 and some kebabs from Khan Chacha and I promise you that the Tyre Walah will be rocking to 'Emotional Attyachar' in his beater box very soon.
Old 12th February 2009, 23:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice Idea, but how would I end up hiding the audio unit opening. Plus a convinience of a digital display is always nice.
most people get the cable to the glovebox where they leave the ipod hidden
Quote:
And how much would the 6539 run me?
9k or more. Not sure about the prices
Quote:
Hmmmm.... I know it sounds easy but I am still apprehensive espescially since the arduous painting process I have gone through with the car. I would like to keep it as simple as possible at this point in time.
I think painting the speaker grille is the best option, given your current budget.
Quote:
Okay, I guess ovals it is then. I would have preffered the clean look of round speakers in the back, but I guess this may not be possible. Any suggestions on what JBL model to demo. And just to humor me - What round JBL's would you recommend so I can see the difference.
the stock JBL grille's are a bit 'bling'. I'm not sure if they'll go with your car. would suggest you check some other options as well
Old 13th February 2009, 00:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
most people get the cable to the glovebox where they leave the ipod hidden
9k or more. Not sure about the prices
I think painting the speaker grille is the best option, given your current budget.
the stock JBL grille's are a bit 'bling'. I'm not sure if they'll go with your car. would suggest you check some other options as well
1) Hiding the ipod is not the issue as much as what to do with opening in the dashboard.

2) 9K for the Kenwood is a bit steep - that would leave me next to nothing for the speakers.

3) Okay - what other brands of speakers would you recommend that I look at?
Old 13th February 2009, 03:09   #22
BANNED

Veecash! (your nick oozes with greens)!
Get a good HU. Not a feature rich one or so. But something which will blend well with the car. I suggest 6539 only for that reason. Spend your hard earned 9k! You'll be able to smile longer each time you sit in the car.
Get some entry level coax/component speakers for the front. 2k to 5k!
That brings the total between 11k to 14k!

Forget the rear speakers for now. It's not a daily drive car. Music from the front will sound great. If you feel the need for it, you can spend another 2k to 5k for rear.

You don't have to spend extra to buy any ipod adapter/cables to play it with 6539. You can plug in any USB storage device directly too. Huh! Forget it. Buy it just for the illumination blending feature which will make it part of the dash.
Old 13th February 2009, 09:43   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any suggestions on what JBL model to demo.
GT5 but I would demo atleast 2 other brands before making a decision. what brands do the dealers in your neighbourhood carry (ignore Sony Xplod or Dapic etc..). Blaupunkt? Illusion? Hertz? Bull? Polk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Forget the rear speakers for now..
then he'd have to find something else to cover those holes. Speakers would solve that.
Old 13th February 2009, 10:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Veecash! (your nick oozes with greens)!
Get a good HU. Not a feature rich one or so. But something which will blend well with the car. I suggest 6539 only for that reason. Spend your hard earned 9k! You'll be able to smile longer each time you sit in the car.

Forget the rear speakers for now. It's not a daily drive car. Music from the front will sound great. If you feel the need for it, you can spend another 2k to 5k for rear.

You don't have to spend extra to buy any ipod adapter/cables to play it with 6539. You can plug in any USB storage device directly too. Huh! Forget it. Buy it just for the illumination blending feature which will make it part of the dash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
GT5 but I would demo atleast 2 other brands before making a decision. what brands do the dealers in your neighbourhood carry (ignore Sony Xplod or Dapic etc..). Blaupunkt? Illusion? Hertz? Bull? Polk?
Sony and Pioneer are the most popular. I will need to research what other brands are available.
Old 13th February 2009, 12:06   #25
BANNED

Please stay away from Pony and Sioneer.
For almost same money, you'll get better stuff these days.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just curious, why is painting the grilles not an option?
Because he's a lazy a.s.s.

Quote:
India JBL

Go here & look at the following:
GT5-S205
GT5-S265
GT5-S396
GTO947

Quote:
Bribe me with some Talisker 18 and some kebabs from Khan Chacha and I promise you that the Tyre Walah will be rocking to 'Emotional Attyachar' in his beater box very soon.
Khan chacha is crap now, at least ask for a befitting bribe!

Quote:
He doesn't need comps Zak, he won't ever run an amp in this car. Let's stick to co-ax's for her.
Old 13th February 2009, 19:26   #27
BANNED

I agree with iRags.
Get coax speakers. Run it from a good HU and forget everything else.

If you want to get the speaker grills matching the interiors, give it to iRags. He'll take care of it. He's very courteous these days in helping lazy friends.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:06   #28
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs guys. I am going to demo a couple of systems today or tomorrow - The 6539 and Blaupunkt / JBL speakers. If you guys can think of any other HU's, that would be great.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:33   #29
BHPian

Okay Guys - I could not demo the 6539 or the Blaupunkt / JBL speakers since availibility in Jamshedpur is pathetic! Only Sony / Pioneer / JVC and Phillips and Chandinichowk / China Maal here! So I am going to buy everything based on your recommendations and convinience of sourcing.

I would like the following to be my setup. Please let me know if these are compatible and a good match? Also, any comments on pricing would be much appreciated.

1) Headunit: Kenwood KDC-MP6539-1 (A dealer in Jamshedpur will special order this for me and I can have it in a week's time. Price quoted is Rs. 9100. He will do the installation as well)

Name:  kdcmp6539uit5.png
Views: 1435
Size:  300.9 KB

2) Front Speakers: Blaupunkt BGX-542 HP - 5.25 inch Coaxial Speakers (Mumbai Dealer, The Final Touch is quoting Rs. 1900)

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-7606441001_hi.jpg

2) Rear Speakers: Blaupunkt BGX-663 HP - 6.5 inch Triaxial Speakers ((Mumbai Dealer, The Final Touch is quoting Rs. 3000)

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-7606443001_hi.jpg

Total Price: Rs. 14000
Old 24th February 2009, 12:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Pioneer HU with USB - Rs 5000
Front JBL coax (6") - Rs 1500
Rear JBL 6x9 - Rs 2500
Wiring and installation - Rs 1500
Basic damping - Rs 500

You're set. And yes, you don't need those boxes.

what pionner HU are you suggesting?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks