Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 11:19   #1
BHPian

JBL GT5 series amp and sub querry.

This is my current setup in my 08 Santro.

Pio 2050
pio 4" in front stock location
Amp JBL GT5 A604
Sub JBL GT5 S12 1200w
MTX 6"x9"

I have a question about the wiring.

Firstly I am a noob in the ICE department.

My current setup has been installed in stages.
  • The car came with nothing and I installed the Pio 2050, Pio 4” and MTX 6”x9” in the first step from Anand Automobiles in Juhu.
  • Next came the JBL JT5 A604 from Jai Auto glass and accessories in Milan subway.
  • Now almost a year after this I have got a JBL GT5 S12 1200w woofer after reading its review on this forum, and again wired by Jai Auto glass and accessories in Milan subway.
My amp powers the s MTX 6"x9" and the woofer and the Pio4” are directly from the HU.
Again this HU has only 1 set of RCA.

But my woofer was not pumping well – too less than expected. I through the amp is under powered and won’t pump the 1200w woofer.

But I was wrong. Again went through many posts on tuning the GT5 series amp and woofer by other members and found the fault in the wiring.

The woofer was wired on too the front speaker out on the amp by “Jai Auto glass and accessories”. Expected better from them.
Now I have corrected this by connecting the woofer wiring (bridged) on too the rear speaker out on the amp – DIY yesterday evening.

My query now is that all the wiring from the MTX 6”x9” and the woofer is connected onto the rear speaker out on the amp.

Meaning 6 wires are connected in place of 4. Is this ok? Or should I shift the MTX 6”x9” wiring onto the front speaker out on the amp and leave the woofer (bridged) on the rear speaker out on the amp?

Does the front speaker out on the amp give less power compared to the rear speaker out on the amp?

UM
Old 25th February 2009, 10:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

In your current arrangement, you have used 2 of the 4 amp channels and the other 2 are free?

No, all channels give the same power output as long as the speaker impedance is the same.

The 6x9 should be on one set of outputs (2 channels). The other set of outputs (2 channels) should be bridged and the sub connected to it.

You should actually drive the front components from the amp, and drive the 6x9 rear fills from the HU. But then this will require wiring change.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:28   #3
BHPian

thanks DerAlte for the explanatory reply.

I will connect the Mtx 6"x9" onto the front speaker out on the amp and leave the woofer (bridged) on the rear speaker out on the amp.

The reason i don't run the front 4" on the amp is boz the HU is a very low end unit with only one RCA and i think, wont be able to power the MTX 6"x9".
also crossovers are required (i think so) to run the 4" from the amp.

maybe is i upgrade the HU and put JBL 607c 6.5" in front then, your suggestion can be used.

I am happy with the SQ at present but it needs some tuning after all 4 channels of the amp are connected.

UM
Old 25th February 2009, 11:02   #4
BHPian

one thing i forgot to mention in both my post is that, now that the woofer is connected on the rear speaker out of the amp, the bass boost is working and my woofer is really punching well.

also i realized that i have got a completely sealed woofer box. (2nd hand from classified section) , so i am thinking whether to get it ported for more effect.

UM
Old 25th February 2009, 11:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

guess this is one more install in Mumbai where the 'installer' definitely goofed up and doesnt know what he is doing. Really annoys me and reminds me of my earlier days when installers used to come and mess up the entire car. Weird ideas aplenty and the 'oofer' felt like the only speaker working ok. Everything was muted to let the subwoofer overpower and drown the actual music. Anyways, here's an honest piece of advice. Do not dabble around with the wiring if you are a novice. Just go to a good installer in Mumbai (FmDrive, Boom etc.) and get your wiring checked. Please make sure you have the entire setup checked from top to bottom, even if it costs you more than you paid for the actual install. For all you know, the incompetent installer might have made a big blunder, that would not be utilizing the full potential of your system OR may damage your system over a period of time.
Just have it checked soon.
AND YA: Please do not go back to the place where you got your stuff installed!
Old 25th February 2009, 13:52   #6
BHPian

"Please do not go back to the place where you got your stuff installed!"
Thanks Frankmehta

got the info on FMDrive

There are 2 - one at Khar and one at Santacruz

FMDrive.
+(91)-(22)-66925881
+(91)-9819941333,
Khar Linking Road, Khar, Mumbai - 400052

FMDrive
Mr Pankaj Chheda
+(91)-(22)-26001333
fmdrive@rediffmail.com
3, Sham Rock Building, Main Avenue Road, Santacruz W, Mumbai - 400054

Will get the setup checkout.

also thinking of a upgrade on HU- Pio 4050 (new) and JBL 607c 6.5" if i can get it on classified section.

UM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks