Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 08:15   #1

Volkswagen Passat Need help on ICE!!!!!

I just got an Passat, the businessline model in India. The OEM audio is a big dissapointment.

I will greatly appreiate if any can help me to find an aftermarket HEAD unit which will fit the PASSAT. I am not sure the Doubledin head made by kenwood or pioneer will the PASSAT, in place of the company OEM head unit.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!!
Old 9th March 2009, 09:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

How about posting pics of the dash location of the current unit? Is there any remote control unit on the steering? Are ay other functions integrated into the HU location?

Unless you are dissatisfied with the absence of USB / AUX-IN, perhaps changing the speakers might make some serious difference. What are the speaker sizes currently (front / rear)?

Last edited by DerAlte : 9th March 2009 at 09:40.
Old 9th March 2009, 11:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
How about posting pics of the dash location of the current unit? Is there any remote control unit on the steering? Are ay other functions integrated into the HU location?

Unless you are dissatisfied with the absence of USB / AUX-IN, perhaps changing the speakers might make some serious difference. What are the speaker sizes currently (front / rear)?
The current unit is I think bigger than a 2 DIN unit and hence one would have to get the dashboard adapter if one wanted to replace the current unit with 3rd party a 2 DIN HU.

Yes there are stereo controls on the steerwhile and hence one would also have to get the adapter-harness for the stereo. I know Alpine has a harness for the Passat but dont know if the others (Pio, JVC, Clarion, etc.. do).

Both these items would have to sourced from aborad I dont think either is available in India.

Car Stereo Fitting Kits - Volkswagen Passat

A 2nd option is the following.

1. retain existing HU along with all functions including steering wheel controls.
2. add a 3rd part DSP like the Alpine 650, RF 360.2, JBL MS-8
3. add amps and speakers to taste.
4. enjoy.

The limitation -
The existing HUs DAC wont be as good as that of a good $300 Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer, etc...but this can be bypassed if one used a ipod for the source as the ipod's DAC (the 5th gen video ipod has a decent DAC) also the disk (CD) handling of the OEM HU is not as good as that of a Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer etc but once one moves to hard disk or SSD (think ipod) disk handling is mute.
Old 9th March 2009, 11:41   #4

photo of the passat oem head unit

thanks for the help and reply.

i have got a base model of Passat does not have stearing remote also I just want to change the headunit, preferable which can play dvd's. A tocuh screen head unit will be great.

To avoid to loose the warranty it becomes very important that a HARNESS is used and no wires are cut in the car. also will i need a facia to install the alpine where can i get the harness and facia for alpine, pioneer etc.

thanks for all the help
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Passat Need help on ICE!!!!!-passat.jpg  

Old 9th March 2009, 13:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

As far as i know , there is no dash kit coming for the passat as of now.
However i would advice you to get a processor and add amps , subs and change the speakers to components in the front and compos / coax in the rear.
Old 9th March 2009, 13:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

anwar of auto fusion did a passat. there;s a thread in the ICE section. just wanted to share my 2 cents. I'd suggest you not to change the HU and use this with an external processor (Navinji's idea)
then just change the compos. damp the doors. add an amp. add a sub. and make sure there is minimal cutting and splicing!
Old 9th March 2009, 14:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Anwar had done a Passat in Bangalore few months back. As far as I remember, the HU was changed and it was a monster of an install. My car was being ICEd during this time and I could watch the work on the Passat. Had taken some snaps. Will post if I find them. If you are interested in knowing more, I can PM you his contact number.
Old 9th March 2009, 16:22   #8
BHPian

hi agpcool!
passat is an international model.the problem you are facing i am sure many more owners must be facing.there are double dins available for passat.if not direct fitment you would get fixing kits for it which would match the passat.
here is a link.this might be outside india but worth the try.i oredered the kenwood DNX8220BT for my forester from here.
Kenwood Electronics UK Ltd. | Double-DIN > Fitting Kits
Old 9th March 2009, 16:38   #9

hey guys thanks a lot for the feedback. can anyone pm me anwars nos from auto fusion. also would you remeber to change the head unit, did you hav disassemble the entire dashboard or it could be done externally. thanks again for all the great feedback. cheers!!!
Old 9th March 2009, 20:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpcool View Post
hey guys thanks a lot for the feedback. can anyone pm me anwars nos from auto fusion. also would you remeber to change the head unit, did you hav disassemble the entire dashboard or it could be done externally. thanks again for all the great feedback. cheers!!!
I have PMed you Anwar's contact no. Also attaching a picture of the Passat install. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the HU.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Passat Need help on ICE!!!!!-dsc00696.jpg  

Volkswagen Passat Need help on ICE!!!!!-dsc01137.jpg  

Old 9th March 2009, 21:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry OT, but please post an ownership review of your car for all of us !! There are hardly any Passats on the forum. Thanks in advance!
Old 9th March 2009, 23:57   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I'd suggest you not to change the HU
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
However i would advice you to get a processor and add amps , subs and change the speakers to components in the front and compos / coax in the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agpcool View Post
i have got a base model of Passat does not have stearing remote also I just want to change the headunit, preferable which can play dvd's. A tocuh screen head unit will be great.
Since you do not have steering wheel controls the single reason to keep the OEM HU is to retain the stock look. If you can find an exact fitment kit for your passat go ahead and get a 3rd party HU (with 3 pre outs and TA) if not stick to the existing HU. Do you use CDs a lot or do you use an ipod?

If you use CDs a lot then it makes more sense to seriously look for the 3rd party HU. If you are using an ipod much of the advantage of the 3rd party HU (more stable CD platter, better DAC, etc..) are nullified.
Old 10th March 2009, 01:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well I am in the same dilemma as you are with the stock head unit of the fabia.
I guess just incase you wanna keep the stock headunit the best option would be to add one of this.
A Audiocontrol Matrix 6 channel line output converter. Which can deliver upto 13 VOLT peak output of clean music.
The Matrix Six Channel Car Audio Line Driver

or you can add Audiocontrol DQL-8 which is a line converter, crossover, equaliser. Add a decent amp and speakers and you'll have a great sounding system. You also get a bass remote controller and aux in input all inbuilt.
DQL-8 Eight Channel Line Output Converter with Auxiliary Input and Digital Signal Processing

If I had enough green paper I would surely get one of those for that high end sound from the stock head unit.

Last edited by Invinsible : 10th March 2009 at 01:17.
Old 10th March 2009, 11:31   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
A Audiocontrol Matrix 6 channel line output converter.
or you can add Audiocontrol DQL-8 which is a line converter, crossover, equaliser.
Unless I read wrong neither of these 2 units offers
1. Time Alignment
2. Automatic Error correction (OEM HUs often have extensive EQ curves built it to compensate for the anamolies of OEM speakers)

in my view better options would be the Alpine 650
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - PXE-H650

Rockford Fosgates 3Sixty.1/3Sixty.2
Rockford Fosgate® - 3SIXTY.1

Rockford Fosgate® - 3SIXTY.2

JBL's MS-8 (still in developemnt)
JBL MS-8: The Future of Car Audio [audiojunkies]

JBL MS-8 Sweeps Sound Quality Competition at Spring Break Nationals

OEM Integration JBL MS 8 Photo

JBL's MS-8 processor! - Page 4 - DIY Mobile Audio
Old 10th March 2009, 12:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Awesome ICE.It looks like a dance floor to me rather.
However its a neat job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks