Old 16th March 2009, 13:53   #1
BHPian

40k for fronts and 2 subs - Car ford fiesta

hello all
please help me brainstorming for the following
Budget
16-18k - front components 6.5 inch
20 k for two 12 inch subs
(to play in a sealed box;i would like 2 subs but open to one too)

Amp for sub/subs has been bought Alpine MRD 1005 V12 series
700rms@4ohms and 1000rms @ 2ohms

Amp for fronts is bought
a Blaupunkt Velocity Series that should give each compo close to 150 rms
(i will be turning down the gains!)

HU is aslo bought-that doesnt matter though

Just to give an idea about the speakers- i have liked the carbons and the dynes in bhagwans car(yes ofcourse they are out of budget in this case) but something along that sound signature would be good)

for compos i have come across (i havent auditioned any yet )
Focals polyglass 165V1
ID CXS 6inch compos or CTx65CS (or are they the same)
and Rainbow Audio SLX 265 d lux

i dont know any of the prices . i would appreceiate some options with pricing and the pros and cons of the choices

for subs i thought of 2nos
GZ 12 XS AL ( however i dont know if B&T has this in stock - do you Ajay?)
i thought using 2 of these subs in parallel would match my amp well

please do suggest better/other options

looking forward to your help

Ali

P.S Ajay/Gunbirji/LBM/Ramie - i know you distribute some of the brands mentioned above . please feel free to chime in.
i dont think it would be considered marketting since im asking you directly to offer me options
Old 16th March 2009, 14:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

@magma, excellent budget! And you have nice amps ready too! I guess the wiring cost also has been accounted for? If not, it would be a good idea to mention this, so those who give suggestions can figure that in also.

Of the comps you've mentioned, I can give some general info about three.

Rainbow SLX 265 Deluxe: About 13.5K
ID CTX65 Comps: About 13.5K
ID CXS65 (Chameleons): About 26K

But, since you have a Ford Fiesta, you should be looking at 5x7 components or coaxials. These will fit in the stock locations. You might be able to fit 5.25" comps/coaxials, but I don't think 6.5" comps/coaxials can be fit in the front at all. This is, unless the new Fiesta has different stock locations (different from the pre-2009 model).

You will get 5x7 comps in Rainbow SLX Deluxe & ID CTX (priced a bit lesser than the 6.5" comps, if I'm not wrong). I'm not sure if the CXS comes in 5x7.

About the sub/s, I'd buy one really good sub for around 20K, than buy 2 subs. I'd also wire the sub to present a 4ohm load on the amp. Since that amp makes 700w at 4 ohm, you will not need more power at all.

Which HU will you be using? The choice of speakers will to some extent depend on the HU also.

At this level of system, if would be prudent to allocate at least 5-6K for damping, so that you get the best out of the rest of the investment.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post

But, since you have a Ford Fiesta, you should be looking at 5x7 components or coaxials. These will fit in the stock locations. You might be able to fit 5.25" comps/coaxials, but I don't think 6.5" comps/coaxials can be fit in the front at all. This is, unless the new Fiesta has different stock locations (different from the pre-2009 model).

You will get 5x7 comps in Rainbow SLX Deluxe & ID CTX (priced a bit lesser than the 6.5" comps, if I'm not wrong). I'm not sure if the CXS comes in 5x7.
Fiesta can accommodate 6.5" components by using spacer rings.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow, good budget for ICE. Is this an addition to the ~60 cars in your garage? (remember B&T mentioning a number like that).

Which HU are you planning? I hope that complements the other expensive equipment you are planning on.

OT - I believe you were away from the forums since a long time?
Old 16th March 2009, 15:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

rainbow and id both have some good coax and components in that size even what @hydra has in his car xs65/xs57.

i recommend to go for the actual size which your door has
Old 16th March 2009, 15:27   #6
BHPian

Have a look at the CDTs too. Excellent imaging, good midbass and very good definition. You'll surely get the mid level CDTs, probably the top end too, in that budget

Here is where you can have a look
Welcome to J & B Sound

or contact Jacob on 98202 85812. You can give my reference

The Carbons are excellent but out of the allocated budget, sadly. I'll agree with Hydra on the 1 good sub too.

Last edited by vikram18 : 16th March 2009 at 15:29.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi magma. I'd say, Carbons for 29odd k and ONE good Image Dynamics IDQv3/Ground Zero XD-AL sub in a sealed box!!! Amount spent would be 42-43k with some loose change!
Old 16th March 2009, 16:39   #8
BHPian

the id comps are pure waste of money.the midrange is normal sounding and the cone feels like it is made of plastic.the tweeters are also not great sounding. they are worth for only 7-8k. the alpine type r are better than id.
Old 16th March 2009, 17:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Carbon 29k
XD-AL 16k

I'd recommend this

Or Ground Zero Radioactive Components 13k
Excellent value for money.
Old 16th March 2009, 17:50   #10
BHPian

guys see this focal speaker

Last edited by morten : 16th March 2009 at 17:59. Reason: adding another one
Old 16th March 2009, 17:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morten View Post
Just a video paji. We cannot expect a video to tell us how they sound.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:10   #12
BHPian

yeah buddy ,but i never saw a speaker going this mad.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@magma, excellent budget! And you have nice amps ready too! I guess the wiring cost also has been accounted for?

Of the comps you've mentioned, I can give some general info about three.

Rainbow SLX 265 Deluxe: About 13.5K
ID CTX65 Comps: About 13.5K
ID CXS65 (Chameleons): About 26K

About the sub/s, I'd buy one really good sub for around 20K, than buy 2 subs. I'd also wire the sub to present a 4ohm load on the amp. Since that amp makes 700w at 4 ohm, you will not need more power at all.

Which HU will you be using? The choice of speakers will to some extent depend on the HU also.

At this level of system, if would be prudent to allocate at least 5-6K for damping, so that you get the best out of the rest of the investment.
hey hydra.(not spoken to you since my 1st ICE quest)
thanks for the input

yes wiring is monster and someto be decided. budget for that is seperate
wurthand dynamat damping accounted for

which is the ONE really good sub you refer to in 20k?

most important
who sells 5*7 components in india.- i would appreciate amodel no. and the seller contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Wow, good budget for ICE. Is this an addition to the ~60 cars in your garage? (remember B&T mentioning a number like that).

OT - I believe you were away from the forums since a long time?
yeh hes seen the collection has he?
not been away. ive been here of and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Have a look at the CDTs too. Excellent imaging, good midbass and very good definition. You'll surely get the mid level CDTs, probably the top end too, in that budget

Here is where you can have a look
Welcome to J & B Sound

or contact Jacob on 98202 85812. You can give my reference

The Carbons are excellent but out of the allocated budget, sadly. I'll agree with Hydra on the 1 good sub too.
hi vikram
i didntknow we sould get the CDT's here.
i would love those!thanks
also whats your sub suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Hi magma. I'd say, Carbons for 29odd k and ONE good Image Dynamics IDQv3/Ground Zero XD-AL sub in a sealed box!!! Amount spent would be 42-43k with some loose change!
i didnt know i could get an IDq v3 in 43-29=14k
i was thinking of having 2 Id v3's instead

come on all you guys theres gotta be some more stuff i can get in this budget!!
please do give me options of 2 subs
1 sub
more compos!

Last edited by Magma : 16th March 2009 at 18:35.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Fiesta can accommodate 6.5" components by using spacer rings.
You can fit 6.5" compos on the front door, but the stock grill on the door would be much smaller than the speakers.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
which is the ONE really good sub you refer to in 20k?
My personal favourite in this range is the IDQ. The IDQv2 is around 16K and the IDQv3 is around 21K. Since the v3 is very close to your max budget for the sub, I'd suggest the IDQv3 itself. You'll have to go for the D2 version if you wire at 4ohm, and the D4 version if you wire at 2ohm. (Again, I'd suggest you wire at 4 ohm.)

EDIT: I just saw that you'd mentioned wanting to try 2 ID V3s. That would be 14K x 2 = 28K for the subsection. Not a bad idea, but from what I've seen of your preference in music (= sub to be invisible with just enough bass that the music demands) you might prefer the single IDQ12 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
most important
who sells 5*7 components in india.- i would appreciate amodel no. and the seller contact
5x7 comps are not that easy to find. I know for sure that you can get 5x7 comps in Rainbow and ID (CTX for 9.5K & XS for 37K, but not sure of CXS). Other than the above brands, you will find 5x7 coaxials from JBL & Polk. Hertz used to have 5x7 coaxials and components in the Energy & Hi-Energy series (not sure if those are available now).

I'm sure there must be other good brands that carry 5x7" comps that I'm not aware of. The others here with experience will be able to suggest more brands.

For Rainbow & ID, you can PM Gunbir for exact price and availability. Sam should be able to help with JBL.

I'd back vikram18's suggestion about CDTs. Ive heard only good things about CDT. And since you have a dealer in Mumbai, you can always ask for an audition.

Your options will open up a lot if you settle for 5.25" comps, but I would not recommend that at all, unless you find a set in 5.25" that you really like. I haven't yet seen a Fiesta with 6.5" installed. If that were really possible, all your worries are at an end -- you have close to unlimited options at 20K

Last edited by hydrashok : 16th March 2009 at 18:56.

Most Viewed