Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2005, 10:58   #16
BHPian

no bass tube ...
no space will be left in the trunk.
Old 18th May 2005, 11:11   #17
Team-BHP Support

ok substitute bass tube with 2 x 6" woofers on MDF parcel tray.
Old 18th May 2005, 11:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
no space will be left in the trunk
Thats the problem with us hatchback owners. If you go for the component approach, you'd have to supplement it with a bass tube/sub. My take would be to go for coaxials..... they are not up there when it comes to quality but they do a decent job. I'd say compromise a bit on space and put 6x9s in the back. An all JBL setup would be around 3.5K Front (these are 6 inchers) + 4.5 k Rear + 9k Amp + 2K Wiring + 1 K for plank. Should give you enough thump. You can go for a cheaper amp in case you want to put in tweaters.
Old 18th May 2005, 11:31   #19
BHPian

I used to be in bangalore till about a year ago.... there was shop at the lifestyle circle.. or rather in the road toward shoppers stop .. in the same bldg that houses hertz.... he used to have a fairly good music sys collection and option.... and the owner's son seemed a lil knowledgable and cud indulge in some intelligent conv... suggest u pay him a visit too...
Old 18th May 2005, 12:49   #20
BHPian

Navin, mohit and vivaid,
Thanks a lot of suggestions...

Now i will go out and do some hunting... once the system is decided and installation is done, will let u know the details and feedback.

Thanks,
GK

Last edited by gkrishn : 18th May 2005 at 12:50.
Old 18th May 2005, 13:19   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaid
I used to be in bangalore till about a year ago.... there was shop at the lifestyle circle.. or rather in the road toward shoppers stop .. in the same bldg that houses hertz.... he used to have a fairly good music sys collection and option.... and the owner's son seemed a lil knowledgable and cud indulge in some intelligent conv... suggest u pay him a visit too...
Car shrungar - he is quite good and his fitting is a lot superior to Hot Tracks. Hot Tracks prices are better
Old 18th May 2005, 13:40   #22
BHPian

I was talking to hot track guy on monday. Was enquiring about 6990... and he quoted 5200Rs!!!
I asked him twice, got the same answer.
Old 18th May 2005, 22:23   #23
BHPian

dude 6990 here in bby costs 2800 bux
Old 19th May 2005, 11:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
Thats the problem with us hatchback owners. If you go for the component approach, you'd have to supplement it with a bass tube/sub
I wont disagree with this but you could put a sub in the rear deck.

A seperate active sub has 2 disttinct advantages.

1. bass energy saps the power amp. a seperate active sub will reduce the chances of this. also when a power amp is stressed it distorts. much of this distortion is felt in the midrange where the ear is much more sensitive. haivng a seperate amp for the sub (as active subs do) ensures that a even is the bass amp is stressed and distorts the distortion does not reac the midrange since the midrange is driven by a different amp.

2. The laws of physics dictace that the Theil Small Parameters of woofers producing low frequency sounds be different from drivers producing midrange. This is espcially true of Compliance (Cms) and Mass (Mms). While there are many examples of drivers that are adept at doing both bass and midrange even these drivers deliver a higher level of sound if relieved of the lowest of bass.

Hence it helps if frequencies below 100 or 120Hz are managed by a seperate bass system (amp and driver).

Yes a sealed box sub or a bass tube will occupy trunk space but one can install the sub on a shelf jast as one does the 6x9s.

6x9 coax speakers do offer great VFM though. I have heard a few that were quite smooth. One was the Alpine (690? not sure). The JBL 6x9 I heard was a bit bright but that is JBL sound.

Bass is a function of volume of air moved. This means a big cone that moves a lot. The cone area of a 6x9 is equivalent to that of a 8" woofer (about 200-220cm2). The cone area of a 6" woofer is about 150cm2. However a good 6" dedicated to producing bass will be capable of more linear motion (Xmax) than most 6x9s and hence move the same ammount of air even having smaller cone area.
Old 19th May 2005, 11:19   #25
BHPian

sir navin.. just wondering... are you an acoustics engineer or in a related occupation.... each of your replies are highly technical and theory based....

Old 19th May 2005, 15:01   #26
Team-BHP Support

nope. and pleeeeeeease dont call me "sir" :-)
Old 19th May 2005, 15:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

ajmat sir, hot tracks is expensive.....anil is good for his variety and stock but prices are much more.
good system variety i would say the pitstop or car fancy and for installs nothing to beat anwar
Old 19th May 2005, 15:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
ajmat sir, hot tracks is expensive.....anil is good for his variety and stock but prices are much more.
good system variety i would say the pitstop or car fancy and for installs nothing to beat anwar
quite possible - I go s good price for the amp and the subs - his prices are different for different people.

Who is anwar and where is he located ?
Old 19th May 2005, 15:14   #29
Team-BHP Support

sorry for the theory. I thought i was staying away from it and only stating what was practically applicable. If I bored anyone please accept my humble appologies.
Old 20th May 2005, 14:14   #30
BHPian

hey navin.. just kidding.. chillax...cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks