Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 23:19   #1
BHPian

Help!! Rusty Illusions

Guys need some help here, today while doing my first even DIY on changing the sub wiring thought of refitting the electra's again. When i took off the compo's from the spacer ring found that there was some rust around the magnet area.
Must mention that the illusions got soaked last year when rain water droplets entered the door through the window, same as rider60's case, but the compo's are working without the hitch.
Can be that the rust would be cause of that very reason. What i wanna kno is that what should i do to remove the rust. Should I use an anti rust such as WD40 or something else.

P.S Absolutely loved my first ever DIY, the older sub wiring had a lot of joints at places, changed it to single piece wire and the sub is playing better now.

Pics of the rusted area:
Help!! Rusty Illusions-image0145.jpg

Help!! Rusty Illusions-image0146.jpg

Help!! Rusty Illusions-image0147.jpg
Old 27th March 2009, 00:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Clean the metal part well with fine water paper and give it a coat of lacquer if you are that particular, though i personally think this is not an alarming situation. I would worry more about the terminal contacts.
Old 27th March 2009, 00:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

No need to worry every thing is fine....
Old 27th March 2009, 01:09   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the advice Jaggu and LBM. Worried who me, well I am but not much, when these babies can handle being drenched in water, don't think rust would pose such a problem.
I was just skeptical about the If's and but's regarding rusting on the components, as to whether it will harm them in the long run.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

i have the same problem my speakers crossovers are all rusted :( . The two connectors are not opening the screws are all jammed due to rust, rest are ok. I have put some WD40 but still not able to open them, the screw heads are almost flat because of rust.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

in general the speakers should be ok.

The rust wont cause any major issues.

if you want to improve the cosmetics look at cleaning all the rust using wet rough linen cloth (no sand paper on the magnet) and cover it with one of those XTC foam covers Cruthcfield sells.
Old 27th March 2009, 13:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Magnet/basket area getting a bit of rust may be OK, but what about terminals? Isn't that bad, when they talk so much about the role of expensive wires, terminals, gold-plating etc? Logically, I wouldn't expect terminals of any reputed speaker to get rusted at least.
Old 27th March 2009, 13:33   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Magnet/basket area getting a bit of rust may be OK, but what about terminals? Isn't that bad, when they talk so much about the role of expensive wires, terminals, gold-plating etc? Logically, I wouldn't expect terminals of any reputed speaker to get rusted at least.
Oh yes but are not most termainals silver/gold plated. silver oxide is as good a conductor as silver itself.
Old 27th March 2009, 18:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

What look like small rust streaks, are on the magnet, and top/ bottom plate. Use a cloth soaked with a little kerosene to wipe it clean.

The terminals should be kept free from rust. Terminals of this Illusion speaker are gold plated. They will not rust normally. If however water settles on the terminal, the flow of current is bound to cause oxidation in any speaker whether reputed or not. Please check this.

The basket can sometimes rust to the extent that one of the spokes completely breaks off and makes the speaker unuseable. With your speaker this does not appear to have happened, and most likely won't even happen since the basket has a very durable water resistant coating.
Old 28th March 2009, 00:28   #10
BHPian

Thanks Ajay sir. I was contemplating the kerosene idea, was just waiting to get the nod.
My main concern is to stop further rusting as it tends to increase quickly.
Will check the terminals next week while replacing the wooden spacers with the mdf one's.
Also thinking of doing the wiring for the same again lets see.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th March 2009 at 00:30. Reason: Formatting removed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks