Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2009, 22:51   #16
BHPian

In a by-lane in Chandney Chowk, Kolkata, I came across a fairly big shop, which sold wire only by the kilo!
I was looking for wire of a particular gauge with insulation of a particular colour, for a floor-standing lamp at home & that's where I found it.

Last edited by nura : 7th April 2009 at 23:00.
Old 7th April 2009, 23:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
ibm you should have gone for 2 gauge wire
But I heard a 4 gauge NYVIN wire is equivalent to a 2 gauge PVC Wire. And also I am using only Class-D amps with M-ANL fused Tsunami Distribution block. So I have no way taking over 100 amp current, where this wire is able to handle 205 amp current and 105"c as per the manufacturer spec.

Am I right?
Old 12th April 2009, 12:40   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
this is called copper strip and is used for grounding purpose,this is sold at per kg rate but not wires.

ibm you should have gone for 2 gauge wire
I thought copper flats were cheaper than copper wires .. may be i am mistaken ..
Old 12th April 2009, 12:44   #19
BANNED

Is it in the old moore market exactly opposite to metro water? The street has all used iron products, am i right?[/quote]

Yes ,that is right ,I buy wires from the 2 shops there in bulk quantities . So might have been able to bargain a better price for you .

Out of the 2 shops out there 1 shop is temporarily closed . You must have bought the wire from the last shop , from a guy wearing a banian and a lungi.
Old 12th April 2009, 13:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
I thought copper flats were cheaper than copper wires .. may be i am mistaken ..
i don't think they are cheaper then wires (how to compare) because wires are sold at per meter basis and copper strips are sold at per kg basis.

copper strips comes @ 200/220 a kg (MCX rates are down).
Old 12th April 2009, 14:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Out of the 2 shops out there 1 shop is temporarily closed . You must have bought the wire from the last shop , from a guy wearing a banian and a lungi.
Exactly. Are you staying near the place? I am very much satisfied with the fibreglass wire and its quality. I will come there soon to buy more.

Yesterday I got a chance to cut and compare the fonolex with the fiberglass. Finolex is a joke comparing to this wire. This fibreglass wire has tinted copper and it looks like the wire used in ironbox. I have to fight with the wire with knife even to cut the ends, its very strong. The same gauge wire from finolex is double time thicker than fibreglass.

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 12th April 2009 at 14:47.
Old 12th April 2009, 14:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post

This fibreglass wire has tinted copper
can you post some pics of the same .
Old 12th April 2009, 15:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jeniffer
And also I am using only Class-D amps
A 75.4 and a 504.
Both are Class AB.
Old 12th April 2009, 16:11   #24
BANNED

Quote:
i don't think they are cheaper then wires (how to compare) because wires are sold at per meter basis and copper strips are sold at per kg basis.

copper strips comes @ 200/220 a kg (MCX rates are down).

Any metal is produced in ignots or flats . To draw wires it requires more processing and addition of other metals for anti corrosion , malleability , strength etc . So considering all the post processing , I think wires are more expensive than bars for the same weight .

All reputed manufacturers stick to certain guidelines and they have standards as well .So for a metre of 4 square MM wire , I think there must be a minimum quantity of copper specified ,protective plastic , teflon and that is how the final cost of the wire is calculated .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Exactly. Are you staying near the place? I am very much satisfied with the fibreglass wire and its quality. I will come there soon to buy more.

Yesterday I got a chance to cut and compare the fonolex with the fiberglass. Finolex is a joke comparing to this wire. This fibreglass wire has tinted copper and it looks like the wire used in ironbox. I have to fight with the wire with knife even to cut the ends, its very strong. The same gauge wire from finolex is double time thicker than fibreglass.

Nope I dont stay near the place . Most of my hobby shopping is done in moore market . I frequent that place most for used UPS Heat sinks and PCB drill bits apart from a variety of junk ( goldmine for me ) that the place has to offer .
The guy in the baninan is actually a millionaire .. LOL . The guy is a bit pricier than the other shop . I get regular supplies of wire from that place as I get it in KG which works out cheaper than the retail boxes of finolex and I also buy special wires . I have a battery and inverter business . So most of the wires get delivered to me at my place .

Finolex wires are not really bad with the insulation part . They are infact better than the non-branded wires . The quality of insulation is much better than other wires . But , special Teflon ,fibreglass wires are much better for use in a car as it carries a lot of current and any damage to the insulator might actually burn up the car if there are no proper fuses at the battery terminal .

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th April 2009 at 18:29. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 12th April 2009, 16:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any metal is produced in ignots or flats . To draw wires it requires more processing and addition of other metals for anti corrosion , malleability , strength etc . So considering all the post processing , I think wires are more expensive than bars for the same weight .

All reputed manufacturers stick to certain guidelines and they have standards as well .So for a metre of 4 square MM wire , I think there must be a minimum quantity of copper specified ,protective plastic , teflon and that is how the final cost of the wire is calculated .
you yourself had given the answer to the question you asked,this is why you can't compare copper strips to the wires.
Old 12th April 2009, 16:30   #26
BANNED

Quote:
you yourself had given the answer to the question you asked,this is why you can't compare copper strips to the wires.
May be I was not that clear . Sorry for the confusion .

A manufacturer to manufacture say 100 meters of wires knows how much copper ,insulation he needs to use for a give guage of wire . so for 100 mts of wire ,if the weight of the wire is say 100 kgs ,then a metre of wire would weigh 1 kg .

This 1 kg of wire will have X amount of copper and Y amount of insulation .

In special wires ,the insulation might sometimes be more costlier than the copper .

Hope that helps .
Old 12th April 2009, 16:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be I was not that clear . Sorry for the confusion .

A manufacturer to manufacture say 100 meters of wires knows how much copper ,insulation he needs to use for a give guage of wire . so for 100 mts of wire ,if the weight of the wire is say 100 kgs ,then a metre of wire would weigh 1 kg .

This 1 kg of wire will have X amount of copper and Y amount of insulation .

In special wires ,the insulation might sometimes be more costlier than the copper .

Hope that helps .
first of all i am very much clear with my points
you wanted to know which one is cheaper and which is expensive.

see we have so many manufactures in the market all of them are different one sell it (take 4 gauge wire) @100 rs a meter other sell it @75 wight is the same but the material used,take the copper inside what grade copper is used,insulation and there could be many things.

you must have read in one of my earlier reply to (ibm_jenni) post the pic of the wire because i wanted to see is it actually tinted.

i doubt wire in that size 2.4.8. gauge that are available in indian market are tinted.
tinted wire are not common and are not used in AC current.

Last edited by karankapoor : 12th April 2009 at 16:52.
Old 12th April 2009, 18:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
A 75.4 and a 504.
Both are Class AB.
Really, currently MY 75.4 IS RUNNING at a 8 gauge wire as suggested by technocrat. Is it why I am getting some drop out in songs?

Then I will go for 2 * 4 gauge fibreglass, is it ok? My dist. block will accept 3 * 4 gauge input. And i am not in 504, planning to get a 300.1 mono amplifier instead of a 504/604. Will it be good for a 4.1 system other than 504/604 (I already have a 75.4)

Quote:
i doubt wire in that size 2.4.8. gauge that are available in indian market are tinted.
I am not sure the difference bw Tinted copper or tin copper, the shop keeper used to name it as tinted copper. But the wire is not in gold color like finolex, its like silver color in outer and gold/copper color inside. Here is the manufacturers page and its exactly the same wire in the picture:

Uninyvin Cables,Uninyvin Aircraft Cables,Uninyvin Cables Manufacturer,Uninyvin Aircraft Cables Supplier

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 12th April 2009 at 18:03.
Old 12th April 2009, 20:13   #29
BHPian

So here is my Power Diagram for my upcoming PC Project. Please help me to correct my mistakes:

Finolux FlameGuard in Chennai-ibm-pc.png

Here is the big picture: http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1331/ibmpc.png
Old 10th May 2009, 17:12   #30
BHPian

Friends,

Anybody know a good place in Chennai to buy some 12 AWG OFC Speaker wire for my subwoofer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks