Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 19:11   #16
BANNED

Sub in a Sealed box will not distort at all unless somebody has managed to screw it up big time. My experience is that a bad sub will distort easier in a ported box than it does in a sealed box.

Anyway, congrats Abhishek. Go ahead with your decision. Ported setups can also sound good if tuned properly. The box size will be a bit bigger than a sealed one. But you can get away with feeding the sub lesser power. Suits well in your condition with the current amp.

Hope you've listened/auditioned the equipment you're going to buy. If not, I think LBM can help you with a sample audition.
Old 15th April 2009, 19:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

so abhishek. 30T? great. anyways, i'd say you'll enjoy it better sealed.
Old 15th April 2009, 20:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Sub in a Sealed box will not distort at all unless somebody has managed to screw it up big time. My experience is that a bad sub will distort easier in a ported box than it does in a sealed box.
I think that is a assumption you are making as I do not agree on this.

What all can be screwed big time ?

The sub will distort in a ported box when played well below the tuning freq of the box other wise in the normal operating range I doubt the ported will distort when compare with the same sub in a sealed box.
Old 15th April 2009, 20:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
so abhishek. 30T? great. anyways, i'd say you'll enjoy it better sealed.
I assume so myself, Frank - based on what all I have heard till date (which is very less) but the Mk II amp won't be able to support a sealed GZ, especially in a sedan :(
Old 15th April 2009, 21:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Go for the ported.
The Sub will work great with the MK2.

I have seen people run 500w subs off 2 channels of the kenwood 8401 (180 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms) and playing brilliantly.

So Blau GT4 MK2 (RMS Power 2 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 2x180) will be good enough to power the 30T.

Although the subs would not run at full potential but they will sound amazing.

PM Low_bass_makker for more info on the 30T
Old 15th April 2009, 22:15   #21
BANNED

I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek3030 View Post
..........but the Mk II amp won't be able to support a sealed GZ, especially in a sedan :(
Yes, keeping your amp output in mind, I would recommend you to install an entry level sub in a ported box. The GZ sub you've zeroed in seems ok for that.
All the best.

Post pics of install. Before, ongoing and after. We will appreciate it very much.
Old 15th April 2009, 22:21   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
And sealed tend to distort when played at high volume when compared to ported at same power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
At moderate power levels all of these enclosure types exhibit pretty decent manners. The ported box and the bandpass designs produce less distortion than the sealed box, but the difference is marginal.
From LBM's "JL audio" link
"It is generally accepted that an optimized sealed enclosure exhibits the best transient response characteristics. The control provided by the air-spring in a good sealed system contribute to generally outstanding transient behavior"

Yes a ported box (given that the woofer and box are well matched) can go louder than a comparable sealed box using the same amp but...generally
a) Sealed boxes give better bass definition
b) The slow LF roll off of Sealed box subs mates well with the transfer function of most sedans.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks