Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 21:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Low cost HU that plays DVD Audio

Hi,

Am on the lookout for a budget HU that plays DVD audio. Any available?

Thanks
Old 16th April 2009, 21:11   #2
BANNED

I guess you are meaning read MP3s from DVD discs, right?

JVC has a model. Approx 4 K w/o b&w when I was shopping for it, more than a year back. Forgot the model number. And it had an offer of free ovals at that time.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:03   #3
BHPian

Yes, but if you mean play movies, like with screen, i will say pioneer.They are 2-DIN HUs which have a touch screen, come for around 30k
Old 16th April 2009, 23:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

30K is low cost??
Stick with JVC, I think the model is 7403 or something. Scour the nearest audio market. Cost shoud be 5-6K in grey market
Old 17th April 2009, 08:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

I want to play DVD audio files not MP3s on a DVD.
Old 17th April 2009, 08:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

DVD-Audio playback on the cheap will be very difficult. In Alpine's range, only the IVA-D100E and above in the Mobile Media Station range have DVD-A playback, that too only in stereo down-mix mode, even in the highest end headunit in that range. In the Pioneer range, only the AVH-P7800DVD and AVH-P4100DVD have DVD-A playback. I can't find anything in the Kenwood range that has the feature.

Proper DVD-A requires a 24 bit DAC and high sampling rates (96/192Khz), so getting such processing power on the cheap is near impossible. DTS decode compatible HUs are easier to find if you are satisfied with that.
Old 17th April 2009, 08:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi,

Am on the lookout for a budget HU that plays DVD audio. Any available?

Thanks
Quote:
I want to play DVD audio files not MP3s on a DVD.
Come on, you've got to be kidding, right? In any case, DVD-audio is not a madly popular format, so getting a low-cost unit is difficult.
Old 17th April 2009, 09:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Come on, you've got to be kidding, right? In any case, DVD-audio is not a madly popular format, so getting a low-cost unit is difficult.
@Sam: Thanks for your input.. Now, why is the DVD audio not a popular format?

Also, is not the fidelity of the acoustics in the DVD-audio format much superior to the regular ones? or am i mistaken here?
Old 17th April 2009, 10:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

That's exactly the reason why there's nothing low cost about any unit that plays dvd audio. If i'm not wrong the upsampling in dvd audio units has to be much higher than that of normal mp3 playing hus. Yes, you might find a unit that does mp3 on dvd but finding something that does dvd a, and cheap is difficult. You could get a cheap car pc. Thats the only solution. And sorry for asking, when you say cheap. HOW cheap?
Old 17th April 2009, 10:02   #10
BHPian

What about low cost DVD video ones? Sorry if OT.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:25   #11
BANNED

Dvd audio is in many ways superior in sound quality. True!

But for some reason, the format wasn't much of a commercial success. Many labels came out with A cd, SA cd and dvd audio formats of many popular albums at a time and dvd audio just didn't catch up anybody's eyes or ears. Even enthusiasts didn't bother much it seems. There were instances when loads of dvd audio discs had to be pulled off the shelves and given out free etc...
As Sam said, it ain't a popular format.

The prime reason I assume is the very high hardware requirements. Even after so many years of it's introduction, there ain't many mainstream dvd players capable of handling full scale dvd audio.
Another reason is that many purists regard stereo as the penultimate medium to listen to music and doesn't favour multi channel setups for the same. So, a great positive aspect of dvd audio became void and nullified.

Enough of OT,
Regarding header's query. Well, what exactly is the limit of BUDGET?
I think most of dvd audio capable HUs do it by downmixing it. There are some dvd media stations (ie.. Full blown dvd units) which handles dvd audio in full scale, but then it will not be considered as budget HUs!
Old 17th April 2009, 10:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes frank, sampling rates have to be higher, upto 192Khz to play the highest quality DVD-A recordings. That and 24bit resolution requirements make the DAC sections of such units themselves more expensive than your average budget HU. A cheap car PC will still need a good soundcard which handles DVD-A. You'll need the highest end Creative cards to get true 24/192 playback and even then, I do not consider their cards the best SQ.

There are other options, like audio boards which aren't geared as a sound card, but simply to function in an entertainment console environment. You even get software for such boards which support time alignment, filtering et al. Quite expensive though.

@zakko : The highest fidelity DVD-A audio is stereo only. The 24 bit/192Khz uncompressed variety. Six channels of such processing power will take cost to the stratosphere. Not to mention to the storage requirements.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 17th April 2009 at 10:30.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

hey thanks guys, guess i just cant get a budget HU that plays DVD audio. Thanks so much for helping out.

Guess I ought to learn to be happy with MP3s on normal HUs.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dry JVC.. retails around 6-7K
Old 17th April 2009, 11:27   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Guess I ought to learn to be happy with MP3s on normal HUs.

How about WAV on USB hard disk drive???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks