Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 04:18   #1

Spark - HU & Security System from USA. Will this setup work?

Hi guys, been a while since I posted... Hope the guys here are just as helpful as they used to be

Anyways, I wanted to know if this HU will work in an '08 Chevy Spark:

Blaupunkt Brisbane SD48 (Blaupunkt Brisbane SD48 Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com)

What speakers do you guys recommend for this HU while using in a spark?

Also, I was interested in installing a remote central locking system for the same car. I cam across this:

Crime Guard 350i5 (Crime Guard 350i5 Car keyless entry and security system at Crutchfield.com)

Will this work with the spark?

Finally, I wanted to let you guys know that I will be buying all these components from the US. Is there anything I should know before buying components from abroad? Are the ICE for cars different for the same model in different countries?

You guys are welcome to recommend any alternatives as well.

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions are most welcome...
Old 20th April 2009, 09:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

All cars have a 12V supply so most car components work anywhere. Some HUs sold in teh US are only capable of tuning in odd numbered radio stations like 94.1 but not 94.0. Some others (like many Alpines) can be set to tune US or EU stations. EU stations have odd and even numbers.

That aside make sure that the speakers you buy fit in the install loations on your vehicile.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

the head unit is quite an average one. for the price, you can get a much better head unit, which is quite the rage right now, and that's the Clarion DXZ785USB. its available on Sonic electronix, and I doubt we will see it on sale for many days. if i were you, i would order that unit right now. its a steal for the price, and sounds sweet. time alignment is an added benefit. its a stodgy looker, but does everything well and has a good build quality.
the security system is ok, but you would rather get a security system from india, considering all these buggers tend to have a knack of locking up or malfunctioning, or just playing the siren at will. at that time, you might panic, and might not know who to call. indian units are also bound to malfunction, but you atleast have the mental peace of someone coming and rescuing you from outside your car or shutting off that damn siren at 4 AM.
also, what is the other equipment that is going into the car? what speakers do you have in mind?
Old 20th April 2009, 11:29   #4
BANNED

It should work in your car by all means other than the fm frequencies which may depend on a switch.

But why this HU?
It's a vary average one. You should get something far better in the same price range. Have a look at the Panasonic and Kenwood line up. Good, feature rich and VFM HUs.
Old 20th April 2009, 12:31   #5
BHPian

Agree with Frank - Clarion 785 is a very capable HU... better go for clarion than SD48. It's better to go for an Indian Security system unless you are getting it for free in US
Old 20th April 2009, 19:09   #6

The only reason I chose this HU was because of USB + SD Card. I did not find any other unit that had both these features. CD playback is useless and FM is definitely a requirement. Since this HU fit the bill perfectly, I decided to settle down for it. I have not bought it yet though, will consider something similar nevertheless..will check out the other models you guys have mentioned before deciding on one...

Regarding the speakers, I would like a 6X9 in the rear and a 4 inch one up in the front. I guess that would be the largest ones I can manage in a spark.

The security system was an afterthought. I guess it would make sense to buy it from a dealer back there itself.

Also, any ideas on a good after market dealer who will install the setup in bangalore and not rip me off??

Thanks for all the input.. I really appreciate it
Old 21st April 2009, 10:54   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecfrek View Post
The only reason I chose this HU was because of USB + SD Card. I did not find any other unit that had both these features.
I fiugred you had done your research!

I see very few HUs with a SD card input so if that is what you want get the SD48.
Old 21st April 2009, 11:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
indian units are also bound to malfunction, but you atleast have the mental peace of someone coming and rescuing you from outside your car or shutting off that damn siren at 4 AM.
Are you saying that if the unit is not Indian, no one would come to your rescue ? or Do you mean the A.S.S ?

@tecfrek... the Blau HU does not have a sub-out. Agree with frank, there are better options at that price SD card not withstanding.
Old 21st April 2009, 11:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

I meant that there won't be any service backup from the company for a malfunction at 4 am -) not the general public. General public will come at any time. Herd mentality :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks