Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 14:40   #1
BHPian

Innova ICE: EDIT: Looking for advice Pg 2

Hi guys.

I m planning to ICE my Innova. Its a G4 model and comes with a toyota casette cum radio. My mom likes it because she is a old timer and like to listen to radio and she like to turn the dail and tune FM or AM, she hates the new system in which it scans the station by itself and many of the systems does not recieve AM and MW.

Since this Innova has slot of 2 din, is it possible to install a new player below the existing player and use both of them. There is a shop opposite to my house who install ICE, i called the guy there, he said its possible and would try, he said he would have to install a switch.

Is it possible?
Old 28th April 2009, 15:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

yes it can be done

you will require a switch to change over from one HU to another
Old 28th April 2009, 17:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sure, can be done - even without any switch. The second unit Pre-out (or via speaker-to-line_level converter) should feed the Aux-in of the first unit, and the first unit should be set to play Aux-in. I presume you have regular 1DIN HU (which one?) and 1 slot free. Also, you need to have another antenna for the second HU, especially if she wants to listen to AM.

Buuutttt - where do you intend to get an HU which allows direct tuning via knob (and I am not even referring to the dial scale to show the frequency)? The 'Store current setting for this channel' button is also likely to be ignored by your mum, which means she has to tune every time!

ALL HUs (whichever have a radio) receive AM (MW/SW) - alas most people don't listen to AM because of the traditional noise problem. Maybe even you didn't check since you don't listen to AM.
Old 28th April 2009, 23:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Its a G4 model and comes with a toyota casette cum radio.
she like to turn the dail and tune FM or AM, she hates the new system
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Sure, can be done - even without any switch. The second unit Pre-out (or via speaker-to-line_level converter) should feed the Aux-in of the first unit, and the first unit should be set to play Aux-in. I presume you have regular 1DIN HU (which one?) and 1 slot free. Also, you need to have another antenna for the second HU, especially if she wants to listen to AM.

Buuutttt - where do you intend to get an HU which allows direct tuning via knob (and I am not even referring to the dial scale to show the frequency)?
Exactly. Since Archish does not use FM he can forgo the antenna on the HU he prefers and only put an antenna on his mom's HU.

DA, I think this kewood has a rotary tuning knob as did the Alpine 9884/6 - I think.
KENWOOD (IN-CAR) KDC241SA 4 x 45W Car CD Tuner with Rotary Encoder & Control Knob - www.hiwayhifi.com
Old 29th April 2009, 13:46   #5
BHPian

Mates,

Done. I got it done. Looks cool. Will post pic soon.
Old 29th April 2009, 14:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... DA, I think this kewood has a rotary tuning knob as did the Alpine 9884/6 - I think. ...
No, the user manual (page 5) says the "control knob" (basically PB) is used for tuning!

The problem is that most basic HU control implementations cannot route the jogger-type input from the rotary knob to the tuner IC, which cannot handle pulse train as input. Instead they use PB inputs (dedicated up/down, even if via a key mux) routed to the IC. Simplistic design choice.
Old 7th May 2009, 17:38   #7
BHPian

Archish,
Buddy post the pics
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:50   #8
BHPian

Question: So a Singe-DIN HU can be fitted to Innova? I was under the impression that Innova owners have to go for 2-DIN!
Old 22nd June 2009, 21:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Question: So a Singe-DIN HU can be fitted to Innova? I was under the impression that Innova owners have to go for 2-DIN!
of course single din can be fitted.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:39   #10
BHPian

I fixed 2 single DIN HU in the double DIN slot. Here's the before and after pics.

@ Flloyd: hope the pics answers ur question.
Attached Thumbnails
Innova ICE: EDIT: Looking for advice Pg 2-1.jpg  

Innova ICE: EDIT: Looking for advice Pg 2-2.jpg  

Old 11th October 2009, 15:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I have a few questions on the new Innova. I could not find much inormation on this on the forum. If there is a thread, please guide me to that.

1) Will the Steering mounted Audio Controls work with a pioneer Head-Unit ?

2) If we decide to retain the stock Innova HU and go in for a Roof mounted DVD Player with screen, could we connect both the HUs to the same set of speakers ?

3) Has anybody used a "Box" for 6X9 speakers in the boot. (Box for 6X9 speaker). My thought is we could parallelly connect this to the rear speakers for added effect. We could remove the Box (and sub woofer) if we need to place luggage there.

Help please

OT: This is my first Post.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

1. No, it won't
2. No, you cannot connect 2 sources to one set of speakers
3. No, it will overheat the amplifier in the HU. Yes, the subwoofer box can be removed when you need space - you have to use suitable connectors
Old 12th October 2009, 13:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

DerAlte,

Thanks dude.

Please let me know how we could achieve this in an innova / similar.

A Pioneer DVH-P4190UB HU
A DEQ P7650 Multichannel Processor (for DTS and Dolby)
A Center Channel Speaker
Compos on the Front door
Compos on the Rear Door
6X9 behind the Thrid row (I dont want to leave out the Third Row. It is a must i provide some voice to all rows of seating, other than a sub-woofer)
Subwoofer behind the Rear Seat (in a Box).

Thoughts and suggestions please. Pics Most Welcome
Old 12th October 2009, 20:41   #14

Yes steering mounted controls on the Toyota Innova V Model will work with the Pioneer Headunit with the steering remote interface from Skott Company.Interface is just plug & play very easy to install.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

@scopriobharath -

1. You need not put components on rear doors, a pair of co-ax will do. But, if you really want to do it just go ahead - put the tweeters of the rear components either on the rear doors or on the B-pillar
2. Having 2 sets of rear speakers will confuse the 5.1 setup you are planning. You will have to ensure tuning in a way that the ovals do not spoil the middle row image (should play lower than the middle row speakers)
3. You will need a 4-channel amp and a mono:
- The front channels from the DEQ-P7650 Pre-outs will connect to 2 channels of the 4-ch amp
- The center channel speaker connection from the DEQ-P7650 will connect to the center speaker
- The rear channel pre-out from the DEQ-P7650 to the other 2 channels of the amp, and feed the middle row speakers
- The rear speaker channels of the DEQ-P7650 will connect to the last row ovals (where do you intend to mount them???)
- Finally, the Sub-out of the DEQ-P7650 will connect with the mono amp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks