Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 15:38   #1

rocknrolla wants his SQ to ROCK! Help!

Hi everyone,

I need some advice on what my next steps should be with the ICEing in my car. I have a Santro which already has the following equipment installed.

HU : Kenwood KVT-719 DVD

Front: Boston Acoustic Rally series (version number i dont remember, bought it 2 yrs back)

Rear : Polk Momo 6500 2 way compaxials

Amps : Efx Scosche hd4600 (for the speakers)
Volfenhag 8100 (for the woofer)

Woofer: Polk db series 12 incher

My first step is to change the front comps because its starting to distort at high volume. My question to everyone is. What Next?? and any idea how much that would burn a hole in my pocket?

Help!
Old 8th May 2009, 17:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Budget?

I think even your amp is a weak part.
Old 8th May 2009, 17:46   #3
BHPian

Your amps are definitely the weak link. Seems like you've sourced your equipment from the US.

Toss the Volfenhag first, they make crap amps and speakers. Their caps are OK though.

Also please PM me a review on what you think of the Polk MMC 6500s. I've been considering these for a while.
Old 8th May 2009, 18:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

keep the hu,rear and the sub for now and upgrade the front and amp, give us a budget how much you are ready to shed.
Old 8th May 2009, 18:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Toss the Volfenhag first, they make crap amps and speakers. Their caps are OK though.
X 2.

Volfenhag are "desi alpines" of US.. ever seen their website? PROUDLY claim they are from germany, Made in China.. QC done in germany.. blah blah.

Another brand to befool customers in the name of germany!
Old 8th May 2009, 22:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

-The Hifonics amp claims to do 70*4. So keep it. The source of distortion can also be bad tuning, and setting of gains too high, and also the EQ on the head unit, causing the amp to send a clipping signal to the speakers, hence the perception of distortion.
-Do one thing: When the speakers start distorting, try fading and seeing which speakers are the root cause. Maybe its the rears, maybe its the fronts. Also, try playing just the subwoofer at these volumes. This may behelp us point out the cause.
--Toss the Volfen'hag' into the ocean.
Old 9th May 2009, 01:16   #7

wow! i knew i was making a compromise with the volfenhag but i didnt know it was so bad... lol. .yeah i knew the next step would probably be the amp for the woofer.

I however, feel the scosche amp is pretty good.. i honestly cannot complain..
the specs are
  • 4 x 140W RMS (20Hz to 20kHz) @ 4Ohm 0.05% THD
  • 2 x 280W RMS (20Hz to 20kHz) @ 2Ohm 0.05% THD - Bridged
  • 4 x 100W RMS (20Hz to 20kHz) @ 4Ohm 0.05% THD
now that isnt bad by any standards is it?

think ill have to go for a monoblock next. here goes another 15k!!! :( any suggestions anyone?
Old 9th May 2009, 10:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

scosche amp is good it works for most of the listeners, but never judge a amp by its spec.

15k is a good budget for mono block you will get some good deal in that price, i will say first upgrade your fronts and then the sub and a mono amp.
Old 10th May 2009, 09:21   #9

Yup, I definitely will throw the volfenhag out as soon as I can find a replacement. My budget is about 18-20k for an amp and woofer. can anyone suggest a good combo for that amount? Is it too less? The polk db series woofer that I have right now isnt horrible. Its pretty decent, but it isnt really crisp. That also might be because of the volfenhag. Im a fan of Polk

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks