Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2009, 00:25   #1
BHPian

mtx XT693

hi guys,
two weeks back i bought a pair of mtx 6*9 (XT693)speakers for my nhc with stock alpine CDE 9871 EHI audio system, the speakers were really good and the bass was just perfect for me but of lately whenever i go a little loud the sound starts like crying sound? is this a problem with XT693 or is it just that i have got a bad pair?
please advice
Old 19th May 2009, 00:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Are you using any amp?
Details of full setup please.
Old 19th May 2009, 00:29   #3
BHPian

no there are no amps attached it is stock honda audio set up except that i have removed my JBL GT-652 at the back and installed the mtx no amp no wirings touched.
Old 19th May 2009, 00:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

looks like a clipping signal from the puny head unit amplifier to the speakers.
i suggest you dont push the volumes so high up, since a clipping signal from your head unit might not sound good to the ears! the only solution to this is to give them enough power, using a power amplifier.
Old 19th May 2009, 00:50   #5
BHPian

ok but other than installing an amp waht are the other options?
the dealer told me not to go for JBL 938 as they are more intended towards treble and not bass. is it true?
Old 19th May 2009, 00:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

bah.. dont listen to any dealers. there are a lot of people on this forum who have jbl 938 speakers in mumbai. try doing a search and pm anyone if they can allow you to audition them.
if i were you, id keep the speakers, and add a 2 channel amplifier to them. would cost lesser than the cost of replacing these speakers.
Old 19th May 2009, 00:56   #7
BHPian

actually tomm i'm going to the dealer and going to give hima piece of mind as i had told him specifically that i dont want to install an amp and i want a decent punch. its been only 2 weeks that i have installed it. so lets see waht happens. by the way just for enquiry how much does the jbl 938 come for? and will it be a good choice for alpine cde 9871 ehi?
Old 19th May 2009, 00:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

give him a piece of my mind too! dealers will remain dealers only. anyways, the jbl 938 is a decent pair and costs about 4.5k with bill and warranty. also, there are a lot of options available for these oval speakers, but i DO NOT recommend pioneer anymore.
their 3240958-way speakers are no longer how they used to be!
any speaker will be a good choice for the 9871 as long as you dont push the limits of both (the 9871 and the speakers)
Old 19th May 2009, 01:02   #9
BHPian

great thank you so much i will go tomm morning and get them replaced.
Old 19th May 2009, 01:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

good. who is the dealer by the way? im from mumbai too. pm me if you dont want to reveal his name on the forum
Old 19th May 2009, 01:13   #11
BHPian

actually he is a nice dealer PLANET ACCESSORIES and in the past have installed a lot of things from him but this time i dont know why he gave me such a pair of speakers? i told him i wanted to go for jbl as the nhc i have has got jbl speakers from the company itself so wanted to retain that identity.
by the way in future if i have to install any audio components where in mumbai should i go? i stay in malad and i want some guy who does a clean install. this above named guy is one of them very good set of installers who know their job well and with clean hands

Last edited by mdesai_1981 : 19th May 2009 at 01:15.
Old 19th May 2009, 01:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

The speakers which you are running are a lil power hungry and needs an amp with HPF control to tune according to your listening,I would suggest you can get yourself JBL938 or something in Polk Audio.

JBL speakers if tuned properly with correct phase will give out enough bass you can enjoy without an amp

Another thing i would like to share,install the speakers using a MDF oval ring,i am sure the installer might have mounted under the stock rear parcel tray on the body itself,which might also be a cause of your MTX not sounding good,would suggest Mount your existing speakers on MDF and test it.

Ramie
Old 19th May 2009, 01:21   #13
BHPian

thanx ramie but my question is that since last 2 weeks they were running good. now suddenly why are they sounding so bad?
Old 19th May 2009, 01:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

maybe you played around with the Equalizer settings and now the speakers are getting a clipped signal from the HU, since you must have bumped up some frequencies by a few db's.
Old 19th May 2009, 09:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
actually he is a nice dealer PLANET ACCESSORIES and in the past have installed a lot of things from him but this time i dont know why he gave me such a pair of speakers? i told him i wanted to go for jbl as the nhc i have has got jbl speakers from the company itself so wanted to retain that identity.
by the way in future if i have to install any audio components where in mumbai should i go? i stay in malad and i want some guy who does a clean install. this above named guy is one of them very good set of installers who know their job well and with clean hands
There is this sardar, he is in malad, on the link road, towards borivali and just a little ahead of Inorbit, his shop is quite ubig and has rims and tyre alignment also, i think the name of the shop is Im Popular.........Always.He is a good guy, but just like every dealer, you should know your stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
thanx ramie but my question is that since last 2 weeks they were running good. now suddenly why are they sounding so bad?
See, Normally Head Units say that they car provide 50w x 4, but this is just peak power they can provide, under ideal conditions, where as they actually provide 10w-15w x 4 RMS i.e continuous power, you speakers are rated at atleast 300w peak (i dont know exact) and their rms is 80-100w, now this means that your speakers can handle max power of 300 but will disintegrate and the are made to handle power from 0w to 110w without having problems.
The basic meaning of a amplifier is that it AMPLIFIES the power given to it. What happened is that the dealers know how to tune the speakers which we dont, so the tune it to something that will sound good with the speakers, but we want more, so we change the setup, then we turn up the volume also, and the speakers start to distort, i.e start clipping. If even 10w more to be provided then they would clip at a higher volume, as it would have a greater power supply, hence staying in control, if 20w were to be supplied then they would clip at even a higher volume, but if 110w were to be supplied, the the speakers would not be able to handle so much power (110 + 15 =125w), well not right now, but like 120w or so.
So what yo need to do is get a small 2 channel amp and power your speakers with them, the amp can be setup under your seat, away from anyones view.

Also i would just like to know the reason why you dont want a amp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks