Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 21:56   #1

Amp and subwoofer for SX4

Dear Gurus,
I have 6.5 " bull component speakers installed in the front and bull coax installed in the rear of my SX4. The headunit is the OE and I do not wish to change it although I have been advised to change it for a better music experience. However that is not really an option as I really like the original look of the car and also do not want to lose the steering controls.

My question is this. Is it a good idea to install an amp and subwoofer in case the head unit is not going to be changed? Will it make a huge difference in the sound quality or will it just make it marginally better? At the moment I am just about satisfied with the sound but it is pretty average and I am looking for a richer sound.

In case an amp and sub is recommended, which one to go for. I would like something decent but not very expensive- can spend about 15k at the most.

I have searched the forums but am not able to decide based on the whats been discussed so far.
Look forward to some advice.
Old 1st July 2009, 10:36   #2
BHPian

It is possible to change the HU of a Sx4 without losing the steering wheel controls. You get an adaptor, I've forgotten its name; which allows you to retain your steering wheel controls.
I have an amp (Sony 4 Channel), but no woofer. I've two JBL 936s carried forward from my old car and JBL 607c in the front. The sound with this configuration itself was amazing, and I dont really miss having a woofer. I'm toying with the idea of changing the HU myself because if it sounds so good on the OE HU; wonder what it would sound like on say a Pioneer or JVC double din.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:39   #3
BHPian

Hi cooljay. I had installed a component system (Boston) to the OEM Head Unit of my Swift Dzire which uses the same Nippon Hardware albeit with minor cosmetic changes in SX4.

Though there was perceptible difference in sound quality, I was not satisfied so went ahead and installed a 4ch Amp and 12" Sub (Both JBL). Still something was amiss and finally had to get the HU changed.

Make your choices:

1. Prefer good looks than good sound and on a budget: Install 4 ch Amp. Currently you can power your front compos and rear coaxs from the Amp and later (if) you upgrade to an Sub you can bridge two channels and power the same. In this senario the rear coaxs can take power directly from the HU. You will get a decent Amp-Sub combo from 10k onwards. Audition JBL and few others in the range of 10-15k.
2. Prefer good sound over good looks and exceed your current budget: You will have to spend approx. 10k more on a decent HU. Pioneers are good VFM at this price point. You will also need to buy a dash adapter which will allow the new Single DIN HU to be installed. Should cost between Rs. 2000-2500.
Old 1st July 2009, 13:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

according to ragzv, SX4 uses a nippon HU. if that is true, i STRONGLY recommend you to change the HU. the diffrence is sound quality is worth it.

even i miss the steering controls in my scorpio, but the good sound quality more than makes up for it.
Old 1st July 2009, 16:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
so went ahead and installed a 4ch Amp and 12" Sub (Both JBL). Still .
Can you please share the model details and pricing for these ?
thanks
Old 1st July 2009, 23:35   #6
BHPian

These were purchased around 6 months back:

GT5-A604 - Rs. 6000 (4ch amp)
CS1204T - Rs. 5000 (12" Tube)

Both without bill and warranty.
Old 2nd July 2009, 00:10   #7
BHPian

thanks for the pricing details raghav ji

Off topic : I was passing by the blaupunkt store and my soul said oh STOP STOP, no don't take out that card, Manu STOP IT, If you get down car I'll SLAP you on Back, drive away, don't get MAD, you shouldn't go for GT4 MKII from blaupunkt, Wait wait, and i drove away :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks