Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 10:18   #1
BHPian

Which Component & Monoblock

Hi Guys,

I am currently having (set up in Accent)

Sony 554 ZR channel amp powering Rear pioneer ovals and JBL GT4 1000 watts subwoofer in bridged mode.
Front component are blaupunkt GT series powered by head unit pioneer 7750.

I am planning to get newer 61/2 " components for the front and a new monoblock to power the subwoofer and existing sony 554 will power the front and rears.

i need to know
1. which components are good clarity price 5k to 6k?
2. which monoblock amp?
3. will powering by mono amp result in a difference, in the current set up itself bass is good, but will powering front comps through 554 result in better results.
4. can i bridge sony 554 zr all channels to the sub? and get a new 4 channel amp to power the front and rears?
5. what is the head unit and speakers that comes in Honda accord, In my relatives accord i was able to pump up full volume with excellent sound stage, never heard quality like that before, ofcourse bass was less?

Planning to get it done by this friday!

Thanks
krish
Old 7th July 2009, 10:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post

i need to know
1. which components are good clarity price 5k to 6k?
lots of options from Jbl, blaupunkt, hertz, bull, GZ etc. shop around , see whats available, and audition them if possible
Quote:
2. which monoblock amp?
Depends on your budget.
Quote:
3. will powering by mono amp result in a difference, in the current set up itself bass is good, but will powering front comps through 554 result in better results.
both will make a difference, but amping the fronts would make a bigger difference
Quote:
4. can i bridge sony 554 zr all channels to the sub? and get a new 4 channel amp to power the front and rears?
nope, you cant bridge a pair of channels that are already bridged
Quote:
5. what is the head unit and speakers that comes in Honda accord, In my relatives accord i was able to pump up full volume with excellent sound stage, never heard quality like that before, ofcourse bass was less?
I think its an alpine. (not sure ). alpine sound really nice , but are kinda low on features and prices are steep ( just like hondas )
Old 7th July 2009, 11:40   #3
BHPian

Thanks

How do you rate the JBL GTO 1004 amp,i am bit confused,

Sony 554 ZR manual says
Maximum power 110 X 4 @ 4ohms
Rated 55 X 4 @ 4 ohms

JBL GTO 1004
Power Output 100W RMS x 4 Channels at 4 Ohms 150W RMS x 4 Channels at 2 Ohms

JBL is stating the maximum power or the rated, if JBL is stating rated power will replacing my 554zr amp with JBL make sense.
Old 7th July 2009, 11:42   #4
BHPian

Krish the JBL has stated the RMS power
Old 7th July 2009, 11:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
Krish the JBL has stated the RMS power
Even sony's power is staed in RMS only
Old 7th July 2009, 12:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
... JBL is stating the maximum power or the rated, if JBL is stating rated power will replacing my 554zr amp with JBL make sense.
* Maximum power is a thermal rating, at which there is a chance of the amp going kaput (forget about THD figures)
* Nominal power, at a given load impedance, is usually declared with a THD figure (Total Harmonic Distortion; decimal, percentage; lower the better)
* JBL usually mentions Nominal Power
* One should compare Nominal Powers of different amps, not Max Power, at the same load impedance
* Nominal Power is comparable ONLY if declared THD at that power is comparable. If two amps have the same Nominal Power into the same impedance, the one with the lower THD figure is 'likely' to be better. Likely, since there is more to amps than these figures - each amp has it's own sound signature and efficiency (such as damping factor)

In your case, however, there is hardly a comparison: the JBL 1004 is head and shoulder above the Sony 554 in all departments. Whether it makes sense or not is a different matter - your own logic should decide based on budget and other compulsions.
Old 7th July 2009, 13:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Apart from Jbl amp you can also have a look at Alpine MRP F600, which does 100x4 rms or 300x2rms at bridgemode.
Both are equally good, Alpine has slight more edge in terms high frequency productions. I have heard many find the JBL amp little harsh, i suppose that would not be the case with Alpine.

What is your sub nominal rated power?
Old 7th July 2009, 13:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Apart from Jbl amp you can also have a look at Alpine MRP F600, which does 100x4 rms or 300x2rms at bridgemode.
Both are equally good, Alpine has slight more edge in terms high frequency productions. I have heard many find the JBL amp little harsh, i suppose that would not be the case with Alpine.

What is your sub nominal rated power?
Sub: JBL GT4 12"
Peak: 1000 watts
RMS: 250 watts
sensitivity 93 db
i dont know how much my 554 is giving to this sub at bridged mode.
but the subwoofer level kept at 2 in 7750 head unit gives awesome bass when the vol is increased, if i keep the sub level of HU to 5 or 6 the bass thump is even more at low volumes, i dont know what the difference will be if i feed it with 250 watts rms or more

Last edited by krish82 : 7th July 2009 at 13:59.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

With 250rms, without adding any bass boost, expect cleaner bass note, Sub will be playing more efficiently provided the gains are set right.

Last edited by Invinsible : 7th July 2009 at 14:28.
Old 9th February 2015, 20:09   #10
BHPian

Subwoofer and mono block amp to complete 3-way install

Hi,

Looking for folks' help in identifying options for adding the final piece of a 3-way install.

A little background. I have a 7-year old SX4. In October 2014, I bit the bullet and got a pioneer deh 80prs, a rainbow beat 4 and rainbow DL prof components. It was a major investment and luckily, JB was around that day at motor concepts to set me up with some basic tuning (didn't use the passive crossovers, all crossovers are from the 80prs) .

So I've spent a few months listening to a variety of music and have gotten a good feel of its capabilities, which are naturally limited in the bass department. So now I do feel the need for the so-called sq subwoofer and mono block amp addition - tight, fast and punchy bass. The boot can take a 10" sub and the mdf board there has room for the mono block.

Would welcome suggestions around subs and amps that would be the right match in terms of tonality, power and any other factors. Don't want the cheapest, don't want the biggest 18" spl sub either. Just something that will be a great blend. I listen to a lot of Latin music (horns, cymbals, light percussion), rock and the usual pop fair. Thanks in advance!
Old 10th February 2015, 10:45   #11
Team-BHP Support

Re: Subwoofer and mono block amp to complete 3-way install

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraz View Post
I bit the bullet and got a pioneer deh 80prs, a rainbow beat 4 and rainbow DL prof components.
Since you are happy with Rainbow's Dream line why not use the Sound line 10" subs (SL-S10) powered by something like the Digital Design AM 1?

Another member has used the same amp (see link) with good results.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...o-sport-2.html
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 09:18   #12
BHPian

Thanks Navin sir. Yes, the rainbows sound really good; my other reference point is my home theater system (Polk floorstanders, svs 10" sub, budget pioneer receiver) and the rainbow/80prs combination has more clarity. I also listened to another demo car at Motor concepts, where they had I think the next higher rainbow components in a complete install. With respect to that, my setup might need better sound staging which is where JB has agreed to have another go at tuning. Would welcome your perspective on how I can improve my appreciation of and ability to tweak this fairly capable setup.

Will definitely sync up with aroongupta to hear the DD amp in action. In the meantime, I have a couple of questions:

1. I didn't find much literature on the Web talking about the am 1, while the other mainstays of the DD lineup had a few reviews to their name. Why is this the case: amp just released and too new to be reviewed, DD doesn't spend much on marketing, or this particular amp has just not been sold in good numbers yet?

2. When I listen to a system, how will I be able to isolate and evaluate the signature of the amp alone? In the case of the mono block, this will at least be the combined result of the head unit signal, amp's subsonic and low pass filters, amp gain settings, subwoofer driver capabilities and enclosure design.
Old 11th February 2015, 11:56   #13
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which Component & Monoblock

Quote:
1. I didn't find much literature on the Web talking about the am 1, while the other mainstays of the DD lineup had a few reviews to their name.

2. When I listen to a system, how will I be able to isolate and evaluate the signature of the amp alone? In the case of the mono block, this will at least be the combined result of the head unit signal, amp's subsonic and low pass filters, amp gain settings, subwoofer driver capabilities and enclosure design.
DD's focus is on their other products.

A subwoofer-amp combo is a tricky setup. Too much and it is distract from the music, and too little and you wonder why you spent almost as much as you spent on the main system on something you can barely hear.

I prefer to tune these in small steps starting at as low a LP frequency and level as possible and moving up slowly till the subwoofer can barely be heard then back down till it is just about missed.
Old 11th February 2015, 15:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Subwoofer and mono block amp to complete 3-way install

Quote:
So I've spent a few months listening to a variety of music and have gotten a good feel of its capabilities, which are naturally limited in the bass department. So now I do feel the need for the so-called sq subwoofer and mono block amp addition - tight, fast and punchy bass. The boot can take a 10" sub and the mdf board there has room for the mono block
It is a good idea to purchase similar branded speakers and subwoofer belonging to the same series as Navin said but if you aren't interested in the mention subwoofer I have a recommendation for you. I have been using an SQ orientated subwoofer for a short while now whose results I have been fairly happy with.

I've been using a Morel Ultimo SC 12" being fed 750RMS. It's in a custom designed 1.2Cu.Ft Sealed enclosure and is absolutely divine. You can hear every bass note, It keeps up with very fast songs, never misses a beat and has a flat response, the bass hits exactly when you want it to hit and sounds the way It was meant to be heard.
The only complaint I have is with the output which is a bit on the low side but that seems to be inherent to all SQ subs. I'm going to get a custom made 2.0L@35Hz Ported box for this very reason, should up the 40-50-60Hz by a valuable couple of Dbs as per my simulation. You could go for ported if you desire but sealed should work for most people, The space you have for the 10" version of this subwoofer shouldn't be that much different.

If budget allows shiraz you could go for the full blown Morel Ultimo 12" which will allow for upto 1,200RMS and should be 1-2Db louder than the SC.

Last edited by Maky : 11th February 2015 at 15:16.

Most Viewed